Controversy in WGI and DCI

I think controversy needs to be defined. For pushing the boundaries, Bridgemen were rather controversial. I can distinctly remember "boos" in 1976.

Yes, probably the most controversial Corps in the history of DCI. They seem tame today in retrospect. But all this needs to be viewed in context and historical perspective here when evaulating this. The Briidgemen turned the entire ethos of militaristic bearing on its head back then. Not just in their music or theme selected... it went way, way beyond this. This was afterall the mid 70's where the Madison Explorer Scouts, and the SCV, Anaheim Kingsmen, Cavaliers, Phantom, Boston, Troopers, etc and all the Corps marched out to the field. The Bridgemen however shuffled out to the field, Even Star of Indiana in 93 was not as charring in APPEARANCE as the Bridgemen were for historical context. The Bridgemen were booed early in their debut season, paricularly in the midwest from reports. That said, the hateful looks and the evil eye did seem to give ground on its initial large controversy for them as their show music did seem to be very fan friendly and that controversy did subside in short order once national audiences began to warm up to their show... which for many was not really hard to do at the time, as much of ithe music was fiilled with down home Americana, and mom's apple pie ( although from decidedly a " big urban city " vibes perspective). But make no mistake, their controversial debut was the beginning of several other Corps later taking a non militaristic approach in their styles, ethos, vibes they generated, ie Velvet Knights, and many many others that later followed. When I think of a controversial theme, several come to mind. But when I think of a controversial Corps, the mid 70's Bridgemen broke the mold, and stand above all others, in this respect, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

We were talking about Fantasia 2012.

Ah, ok. I will now check that one out. I saw a mention for the other show from Northmont and looked at that one. Thanks for the clarification!

I guess I define controversy in the pageantry sense a bit different than most people on here. Some people have identified "out there" design choices and shows that have garnered a lot of discussion. I guess the same can be said for the electronics issues a few years back, where it really divided people. But none of that really seems all that controversial to me... it's really just a difference of opinion.

I think the initial question was more along the lines of shows or instances that make you gasp and think "I can't believe they just went there," sort of in the way that a lot of people outside the activity might view risque performance art. The only shows that come to mind for me are entirely in the WGI realm, and I think a major reason for this is due to these shows being performed in such an intimate setting. Northmont 1997 and Fantasia 2012 have already been mentioned, but there are a few others that come to mind. Bishop Kearney of the mid-90s (they performed a Sybil show where girls were actually cutting off their own hair and diving through windows, and a Pollock show with paint splattered across the floor so haphazardly that you couldn't help but wonder if a member was going to get hurt). Carolina Thunder 1999 (percussion show based on the holocaust). Ayala High School percussion has had a few (one show where they depict a young man with HIV, another where they actually used a female member's personal story about her mother's lost battle with cancer). I don't think there's been a show in DCI that has given me the same type of reactions, and again, that's largely in part to the intimate setting in WGI and actually being able to see the look on these members' faces.

I think there's been more controversy in WGI than DCI. Fantasia's 2012 show "A Good German" comes to mind. It had one particularly jolting part rewritten before finals and if I remember correctly, they asked that their show not be part of the online Championship broadcast.

I don't think a drum corps would ever touch material like that.

2012 Pride of Cincinnati's "Preaching to the Choir" also had subject matter I don't think a corps would do. It was a beautiful show built around the question regarding the existence of God. If a corps were to do something similar, this forum would light up like a Christmas tree.

Carolina Thunder 1999.

but yes, WGI seems to push the envelope more than DCI

I guess I define controversy in the pageantry sense a bit different than most people on here. Some people have identified "out there" design choices and shows that have garnered a lot of discussion. I guess the same can be said for the electronics issues a few years back, where it really divided people. But none of that really seems all that controversial to me... it's really just a difference of opinion.

I think the initial question was more along the lines of shows or instances that make you gasp and think "I can't believe they just went there," sort of in the way that a lot of people outside the activity might view risque performance art. The only shows that come to mind for me are entirely in the WGI realm, and I think a major reason for this is due to these shows being performed in such an intimate setting. Northmont 1997 and Fantasia 2012 have already been mentioned, but there are a few others that come to mind. Bishop Kearney of the mid-90s (they performed a Sybil show where girls were actually cutting off their own hair and diving through windows, and a Pollock show with paint splattered across the floor so haphazardly that you couldn't help but wonder if a member was going to get hurt). Carolina Thunder 1999 (percussion show based on the holocaust). Ayala High School percussion has had a few (one show where they depict a young man with HIV, another where they actually used a female member's personal story about her mother's lost battle with cancer). I don't think there's been a show in DCI that has given me the same type of reactions, and again, that's largely in part to the intimate setting in WGI and actually being able to see the look on these members' faces.

I guess this is what I was trying to get at most as far as controversy goes - shock value, how the audience felt about it, etc. That's the first time I'd seen Carolina Thunder '99. What a heavy show!

A friend just told me to check out this marching band show that apparently many thought to be fairly controversial. After watching it, I can't imagine how a high school would have the guts to run around with a Nazi flag...all for the GE I guess.

Reeths Puffer Marching Band 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWlDz4iVqA

I think the initial question was more along the lines of shows or instances that make you gasp and think "I can't believe they just went there," sort of in the way that a lot of people outside the activity might view risque performance art.

I don't think " a lot of people outside the activity" view anything we do as " risque performance art ". And I've learned lately that some that are new to DCI don't even consider the performance as " Art "... risque, or otherwise. its a " sport , and thats where the bulk of controversy seems to be within the activity these days Those outside the activity, for most, they don't see the shows on TV, so for them we don't even exist, no matter what we put out there for shows these days, "controversial risque" or otherwise.. as for " shock value", the 70's Bridgemen when they first debuted, in " how the audience felt about it " were chock full of perhaps the most " shock value " in DCI history, imo. It would be considered mild and tame today for sure, but as viewed in its proper historical context, that fits the bill.

Edited by BRASSO

A friend just told me to check out this marching band show that apparently many thought to be fairly controversial. After watching it, I can't imagine how a high school would have the guts to run around with a Nazi flag...all for the GE I guess.

Reeths Puffer Marching Band 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWlDz4iVqA

Interesting........

Remember the controversy in 2012 with the high school band from Pennsylvania?

They did a show called "St. Petersburg 1917" where the parents alerted Fox News that they were concerned it was celebrating the Russian Revolution.

• Like 1

Cadets 72...No More War Show, Lots of hoop-la, especially with the vets and VFW and Legion people

Star 93 .the that ain't drum corps show heard round the world

and few others have mentioned

winter: wont repeat what a few have said but add to it

Fantasia : The Kama Sutra..2002......great show, GREAT! was fine with most but a few HS Mom's walked out.

I remember the aids show also and it being removed from doing finals at a regional I think maybe in PA or Virginia , it was also done very poorly ( not good )

Side note: The Northmont guard that year ( which was mentioned )wasnt the cleanest , but boy did they turn that arena upside down!

Edited by GUARDLING