Profiles In Music - York, PA tonight..... couldn't go

So hopefully reviews tomorrow.......

Hope that primed the pump....

I was at the show as a performer, so no review as I saw no one. I can tell you trhat the house was PACKED. The best attended indoor show I have seen in quite a while.

Thank you to all that were in the aidience as your response to our show was greatly appreciated.

Frank Zuber

Yep... sold out again.... even gave up our seats since we couldn't go so two more warm bodies would enjoy.....

I was at the show as a performer, so no review as I saw no one. I can tell you trhat the house was PACKED. The best attended indoor show I have seen in quite a while.

Thank you to all that were in the aidience as your response to our show was greatly appreciated.

Frank Zuber

What Frank said... a full house. And a very enthusiastic audience.

I was with the Westshoremen Alumni corps... so I only saw the last few corps in performance.

Caballeros Alumni, as usual, brought down the house. "Echano" in particular was smokin'.... great soprano solo work!! Also nice to hear "I Love Lucy" and "Cuban Pete"... two Cabs classics from way back in the day, updated with some modern-day touches. Also, the percussion section really knocked their new drum features out of the park... impressive for the first time on stage with the new charts. This is "old school" drum corps percussion at its absolute highest level.

The U.S. Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps was rock-solid. I was sitting in the first row, right in front of the tympani in the corps' pit ensemble... and the two tympanists who alternated on those drums were killin' it. Great stuff. Also a wonderful big, full low-brass sound, especially the tubas (yes, tubas... the corps is now playing on B-flat instruments, and playing them quite well).

I am always amazed at how good this corps is, given the demands of everyday academy life on the corps members and the relatively limited rehearsal time they have. And congratulations to the Class of 2014 members of the corps, as they go on to their duty stations as officers in the Navy and Marines, helping defend our country. Bravo to them!!!

The host corps, the Hanover Lancers Alumni, were, in a word, outstanding. The "Men of Harlech" chart is absolutely stellar, with a vocal chorale introduction followed by what can be best described as a beautiful "brass choir" sound. The horn line got, shall we say, a tad rough around the edges during parts of their "When A Man Loves A Woman" park-and-play feature... LOL... but overall, I love how this brass section plays. They perform within themselves, no one trying to bend the bell backwards with volume, with a great deal of attention to tone quality and ensemble blend. Quite honestly, not every alumni corps does this.

All in all, this York concert is a great show. I hope it remains on the springtime schedule for many years to come!

• Like 2

" great deal of attention to tone quality and ensemble blend"

Oh yeah... get yelled at if we don't... :silly:

Seriously thanks Fran, that is always the goal with the corps. Horn instructors are/were public school directors with corps experience so they try to be more (if I can say the word) "Band-like" with regards to balance. And heavens knows Bob Zarfoss says "listen" enough times with the drum line so they are in on balancing also..

Disclaimer: no longer with the corps but enjoyed the attention to detail when I was there. Kept me on my toes....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Here's my review:

I saw no actual corps perform, and I was among the closest to the back of the stage while we performed. I had a blast playing to an appreciative crowd. 25 years after I first performed with the Westshoremen in April of 1989, I performed for the last time in April 2014 with the Westshoremen...and the crowd dug it. Couldn't ask for a better crowd for my retirement show.

• Like 3

" great deal of attention to tone quality and ensemble blend"

Oh yeah... get yelled at if we don't... :silly:

Seriously thanks Fran, that is always the goal with the corps. Horn instructors are/were public school directors with corps experience so they try to be more (if I can say the word) "Band-like" with regards to balance. And heavens knows Bob Zarfoss says "listen" enough times with the drum line so they are in on balancing also..

Disclaimer: no longer with the corps but enjoyed the attention to detail when I was there. Kept me on my toes....

I hear ya, Jim... the percussion section most definitely is no slouch.

I think their featured solo contains every single rudiment in the history of percussion. LOL. And performed well!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about getting "here" a little late...

This is what I posted on another DCP thread.... (http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/159295-york-show/)

Not sure if this is the right place to post the links to the photos, audios and videos I took at the York show....

Mods?

Thanks in advance....

OR.... is THIS the right place to post the links?

Mods?

• 1 month later...

Well, Jim-- better late than never. I did what you asked and Paul G. laughed his can off. Said no one's called him "Weasel" for years. :laugh:

As for a review, the only corps I could watch was Cabs Alumni. A lot of new material, which was really, really solid for that point in the year. Percussion section was really 'up' for the night, and I think one of the two percussion features was new for this year.

I really liked the Flugel in Echano, and I hope they keep it in there. A really nice touch and made for a really fine moment.

Personally, I was thrilled to be there, happy to see a lot of people I'm fond of, that I was able to perform with and for many people I'm find of, and felt I didn't let the corps down.