• Mark Arnold
  • Bill Cook
  • Timothy Salzman
  • John Simpson
  • Kevin Smith

Congrats!!!

More info and bios here.

I'm liking this class :satisfied:

I'm thrilled to see Tim Salzman entered into the DCI Hall of Fame. He was my brass instructor in three different corps. The photo of him in the DCI write-up is perfect, and gives me flash-backs to how motivating (and intimidating) Tim was as a teacher. He was calm but intense, and had a mysterious way of making us want to work for him. He is the drum corps version of Phil Jackson.

The DCI write-up misses one important detail. Tim's first drum corps gig was not the Guardsmen, but the 1977 Fox Valley Raiders of Aurora, IL, which happened to be my first corps, too. I joined when I was all of 12 years old, and was one of Tim's first drum corps students.

The Raiders had their best year under Tim, finishing 29th at DCI, but then folded soon after. So Tim and a bunch of us moved on to the Guardsmen in 1978. Tim did amazing things with the horn line, resulting in the Guardsmen's 4th place finish in brass in 1979 (third in GE and MA).

The Guardsmen then ran out of money. So, in 1981, Tim moved on to SCV, and helped them win DCI that year. I had the great honor of aging out with SCV in 1984, and so once again had Tim as my brass instructor. 1984 was one of the few years SCV has ever won high brass (well, a three way tie with Garfield and BD), another testament to Tim's excellence (with able help from Rick South and Gordon Henderson).

Tim eventually joined the Cavies, and gave them a new musical identity and level of sophistication.

Congrats, Tim! I am delighted to see you honored. You richly deserve it. Your high standards and remarkably communicative teaching hooked me on drum corps at the age of 12, and kept me there until I aged out. To this day, I still use your example as one of the standards for excellence in my life.

04_15_2014_salzmant_620x370.jpg

• Like 1

So, in 1981, Tim moved on to SCV, and helped them win DCI that year. I had the great honor of aging out with SCV in 1984, and so once again had Tim as my brass instructor. 1984 was one of the few years SCV has ever won high brass (well, a three way tie with Garfield and BD), another testament to Tim's excellence (with able help from Rick South and Gordon Henderson).

SCV '84. Tenderland.

One of the ultimate brass highlights of all time.

• Like 1

So glad for Tim!

Can't say enough about him as a teacher and motivator. Learned more from him is 2 seasons than most of my college education class, etc.

• Like 1

John Simpson and the Sky Ryders will forever be responsible for creating one of the most memorable periods of my life.

That bio entry almost reads like a play-by-play of my summer of ’82. The Kerchner charts… The monstrous K-90… and that unmistakable Simpson Sound.

I wish I was a stronger wordsmith. John Simpson deserves much more that the few lines of praise that my simple vocabulary can muster for this post.

Edited by 82ryder
  • Like 3

John Simpson and the Sky Ryders will forever be responsible for creating one of the most memorable periods of my life.

That bio entry almost reads like a play-by-play of my summer of ’82. The Kerchner charts… The monstrous K-90… and that unmistakable Simpson Sound.

I wish I was a stronger wordsmith. John Simpson deserves much more that the few lines of praise that my simple vocabulary can muster for this post.

I had the benefit of working with John in 1977- 78 with Bayonne, after being a fan of his playing since the remarkable "Rhapsody in Blue" baritone solo on the Skyliners' Brass By Night album (1960 or so).

Most of the greats deserve more stories and praise than we can come up with - I'd say you did fine.

Great guy - great career - and the Sky Ryders of that era - special corps.

My wife and I met John 2 years back at DCA Weekend and got a chance to talk to him again last year....

Congrats to one of the nice guys.....