Dirtiest championship corps since 1990

Yes. And if a winning corps had more dirt in some area it likely just means they were that much stronger in the others in order to score high enough to win.

One can find dirt in every championship show. Some moments here and there which are just a bit off, even some blatant errors, but in all they are overwhelmed by the parts which are brilliantly executed. Same as it ever was. I think some folks might be looking at this as a chance to get some more cheap shots in at shows they either just didn't like or felt should not have won for whatever reason. Understandable. But those championship banners do fly forever. :cool:

I'd say Crown 2013. Drums were a mess and visually probably the dirtiest in a decade to win

Cadets 2011 was their dirtiest championship show out of their wins - especially drill

BD is typically very clean

Phantom was fairly dirty Spartacus year - probably put them right behind Crown

• Like 2

I'd say Crown 2013. Drums were a mess and visually probably the dirtiest in a decade to win

Cadets 2011 was their dirtiest championship show out of their wins - especially drill

BD is typically very clean

Phantom was fairly dirty Spartacus year - probably put them right behind Crown

HWtvxl2.jpg

• Like 2

When this comes up, I tend to think of some of the Cavies' wins, 2001 in particular, maybe 2004, but can't argue with the show design and demand!

People talk about the less than ideal sounds coming from, say, Cavies 92 or Cadets 98, but I'll listen to those shows over and over any day, especially Cavies 92 as an ensemble and those Cadets 98 mellos (and the delicious horn book overall).

I definitely see the visual/guard dirt in Star 91, but Cavies and Regiment had enough problems that Star averaged out ahead.

Surprised Santa Clara 89 hasn't come up. Some surprising horn and drill moments there.

Cadets 93 was impossible to march, but they did it as well as anyone probably can.

I don't buy that Cadets 11 were overall dirtier than the other top 4. Better hornline except for Crown, best individual and ensemble marching by far, better guard except for BD. As far as how it compares to other Cadets wins, I think it beats 2000 in overall cleanliness, probably squeaks past 1998 and beats 1990, too.

When this comes up, I tend to think of some of the Cavies' wins, 2001 in particular, maybe 2004, but can't argue with the show design and demand!

People talk about the less than ideal sounds coming from, say, Cavies 92 or Cadets 98, but I'll listen to those shows over and over any day, especially Cavies 92 as an ensemble and those Cadets 98 mellos (and the delicious horn book overall).

I definitely see the visual/guard dirt in Star 91, but Cavies and Regiment had enough problems that Star averaged out ahead.

Surprised Santa Clara 89 hasn't come up. Some surprising horn and drill moments there.

Cadets 93 was impossible to march, but they did it as well as anyone probably can.

I don't buy that Cadets 11 were overall dirtier than the other top 4. Better hornline except for Crown, best individual and ensemble marching by far, better guard except for BD. As far as how it compares to other Cadets wins, I think it beats 2000 in overall cleanliness, probably squeaks past 1998 and beats 1990, too.

In 1989, just two weeks before finals, SCV discovered they had two over-age members, and kicked them out. One was a snare, the other a horn player. It was too close to finals to adjust the drill. This is why you can see a recurring hole in the horn line, and why the snare line sometimes seemed to be playing bumper cars.

I am guessing that the judges were made aware of this problem, and cut SCV a bit of slack as a result.

If you want more details, there are a some interesting DCP threads on the issue. Basically, the over-age members were both from England, and had lied on their visa application about their age, thus not only enraging Gail Royer, but setting themselves up for criminal charges as well.

Maybe I'm not as discerning as everyone on here, but I have a lot of trouble identifying visual "dirt" in almost all of those championship shows. I've always thought the '02 Cavaliers drill was exceptionally well executed.

Mike

You clearly never watched from the end zone. Yikes.

I'll throw a guess out there - the title of this thread is dirtiest champions since 1990. That might be why.

• Like 3

Here's my brain on this thread: I'm a fan of (your favorite corps name). So I would say the dirtiest corps was (name of a corps other than your favorite corps).

• Like 3