Smallest corps to make finals since 2000

What was the smallest corps to ever make finals since 2000? I've been wondering if size affects placement

What was the smallest corps to ever make finals since 2000? I've been wondering if size affects placement

Both good questions, imo.

I recall watching a Blue Knights performance last year on Fan network, and it was either in the late 90's or early 2000's and BK made Finals with a comparatively smaller brass line for sure with the others around them In Finals. I think there were maybe 45- 48 brass or so, while the others had 12-16 or so more. They did not sound smaller in any manner to my ears however, as they were quite good this particular year with a full sound(. ' wish I knew the year now, but maybe some BK people or someone else might know the year... but it definately was BK.

I think so long as a Corps in Brass is within 12-16 of others in brass numbers, I don't think it matters much in either music or visual scores. I think however in modern day DCI if a Corps has 72 brass and another has 48 brass, then generally speaking the Corps with 72 brass is going to top a Corps with 48, as there is so much more layering in brass section music playing and in visuals that a larger brass line of this magnitude can typically do over a brass line with a size difference in numbers of 20 or more. As for snare lines, so long as a snare, tenor line is within 2-3 of in numbers other lines, the size doesn't seem to be an impediment in the scoring, but its when a Corps has a snre line of 8 and one of 4, and such, that does seem to be a definate impediment to the smaller line when the discrepancy in the size of the line increases to a wider margin in terms of numbers. Same thing with guards.. if one guard has 42 guard, and another 36 or so, its not a bid deal. But if one guard has 36 and the other 25, then the guard at 25 does seem in most cases to be at a decided disadvantage among the 2 competing guards, and again the wider the number, the bigger the impact on scoring does seem to take effect.

Edited by BRASSO

Probably Cascades 2002. I think everyone else had full size corps for the rules, either 135 or 150.

• Like 2

I don't know the answer, but I always thought BD looked a little small in 2007.

They had the full 135, maybe they just had a lot of short people that year? :shutup: Looking back at corps right before the 150 switch, they do look smaller

Both good questions, imo.

I recall watching a Blue Knights performance last year on Fan network, and it was either in the late 90's or early 2000's and BK made Finals with a comparatively smaller brass line for sure with the others around them In Finals. I think there were maybe 45- 48 brass or so, while the others had 12-16 or so more. They did not sound smaller in any manner to my ears however, as they were quite good this particular year with a full sound(. ' wish I knew the year now, but maybe some BK people or someone else might know the year... but it definately was BK.

Probably '96 - Music of Ron Nelson. They were 12th, and definitely looked smaller than their peers that year.

Mike

Mike

Probably '96 - Music of Ron Nelson. They were 12th, and definitely looked smaller than their peers that year.

Mike

Mike

I think that same year, the Crossmen had something like 45 or 46 brass? Definitely less than 50. And they finished 7th or 8th. But they had a strong drumline and color guard to pick up the slack IIRC.

The mid 90s were a tough time for hornlines. Even the best ones weren't all that great.

Yeah, Xmen had a small group too - that was the year that YEA stepped in to save the corps. That was a pretty good show for them too - the opening drum feature was definitely a statement of intent. (But those uniform jackets... oy.)

Mike