Smallest corps to make finals since 2000

Was 2002 Magic a full corps? I'm thinking they may have been a little small.

I believe so. I think they were Div. II in name only, because of the rules in place.

• Like 1

What was the smallest corps to ever make finals since 2000? I've been wondering if size affects placement

Its not DCI... but its a funny story ( or macabre, depending upon one's perspective ) regarding a " small Corps ".

Back in the 80's, there was a real " small corps " from Massachusets that had 3 marchers total in their Corps. They were from Braintree Ma and were called the" Braintree Braves ". The " Corps" was a Mom and Dad who took their 3 children in their SUV to competitions in Class C Division Esmass. Circuit, throughout Eastern Ma. ( maybe 4- 6 shows total on ave, in the summer ). We're really not sure to this day, if Mom and Dad were using the kids to get a tax write off on their new SUV or what the deal was. But it was all so totally bizarre to us.

Anyway, 1 girl carried a flag... 1 brother carried a snare drum.......1 other brother carried a soprano bugle.

None of the marchers were over 10 years old. We'd say to ourselves.. " every marcher in this show is a soloist in their section... and for the entire show performance too ! ".

One day in competition, the boy with the bugle turned and bumped into his sister with the flag, and he fell down unhurt, then got up . and then he walked off the field... right in the middle of the show too... bam!...' just walked straight off. His parents motioned the other 2 to come off the field then too. ( of course they had too, as their " small Corps" suddenly had no " brass line " anymore).

That was the last we ever saw of this Corps, marchers, and their " equipment - food kitchen- traveling van"..

Weirdest " Small Corps" with the strangest" Corps Director(s)- Instructional staff " we'd ever witnessed.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Its not DCI... but its a funny story ( or macabre, depending upon one's perspective ) regarding a " small Corps ".

Back in the 80's, there was a real " small corps " from Massachusets that had 3 marchers total in their Corps. They were from Braintree Ma and were called the" Braintree Braves ". The " Corps" was a Mom and Dad who took their 3 children in their SUV to competitions in Class C Division Esmass. Circuit, throughout Eastern Ma. ( maybe 4- 6 shows total on ave, in the summer ). We're really not sure to this day, if Mom and Dad were using the kids to get a tax write off on their new SUV or what the deal was. But it was all so totally bizarre to us.

Anyway, 1 girl carried a flag... 1 brother carried a snare drum.......1 other brother carried a soprano bugle.

None of the marchers were over 10 years old. We'd say to ourselves.. " every marcher in this show is a soloist in their section... and for the entire show performance too ! ".

One day in competition, the boy with the bugle turned and bumped into his sister with the flag, and he fell down unhurt, then got up . and then he walked off the field... right in the middle of the show too... bam!...' just walked straight off. His parents motioned the other 2 to come off the field then too. ( of course they had too, as their " small Corps" suddenly had no " brass line " anymore).

That was the last we ever saw of this Corps, marchers, and their " equipment - food kitchen- traveling van"..

Weirdest " Small Corps" with the strangest" Corps Director(s)- Instructional staff " we'd ever witnessed.

Was 10 in 57 and wanted to play trumpet in the rental programs offered in those days. Parents said "can't afford it" (had three younger brothers). So, for a buck a week, I joined the Braintree Braves who were taught by Ed Denon (the Hyde Park Crusaders horn instructor) and Paul Pallange(sp). Both Ed and Paul were members of the LT Norman Princemen Senior corps. Eventually I moved up to the Braintree Warriors and after the 63 season, joined Ed with the Boston Crusaders. While with the Braves/Warriors one of the baritones was Jim Buglio. The loudest player I ever heard. He was the kid who would show up at practice, no matter how cold it was, in just a white t-shirt. Ed could never get him to play softer. After my Patriot Ledger delivery years, I joined Jim at the Five Corners Dunkin Donuts. Jim would carry a 100LB bag of flower on each shoulder out to the baker. Jim was only about 5' 8", never worked out, but was a bull. Prior to every contest, when asked, he'd say we were going to win. He never said "boo", dated, and spent most of his time by himself. At contests, he would be off by himself watching every corps, drill team, band, etc. Too me, he was the only living Saint I have ever met.

After my USAF time, and for many years later, Jim could be seen driving an old Braintree Drum & Bugle Corps bread truck with the members of the Braves. Maybe a dozen in a good year. It seemed like Jim was determined to keep the Braintree Drum & Bugle Corps alive.

And they're still alive and kicking!

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/?p=2260

http://wicked-weymouth.eviesays.com/event/1176192/braintree-braves-drum-and-bugle-coprs.html

The Braintree Braves Drum and Bugle Corps are accepting girls between 8 and 14 years of age for their Winter Color Guard. Practice is at the Ross School on Friday from 6 to 7 p.m. Call manager Jim Buglio at 781-843-6313 for information.

Edited by Ghost

Brasso -- this really intrigued me, so I did a little "idle time, idle mind" research. It turns out that over in the Historical Junior Corps section, there is a "Most obscure Corps you ever saw" thread (or close to that). In one of the posts, the "Braintree Braves" was also mentioned. In that posting, the group size is given as "one bugle, two drums, and 2 or 3 guard." Probably simply a matter of "same group, different year."

I also did a general search, and found that the "Braintree Braves" were actual Class C Champions on the Eastern Massachusetts circuit in 1956, 1959, and 1962.

Thanks for your post. Yet another tidbit (though never unimportant) of drum corps history that I would never have known about without your help.

Edited by HornTeacher

Brasso -- this really intrigued me, so I did a little "idle time, idle mind" research. It turns out that over in the Historical Junior Corps section, there is a "Most obscure Corps you ever saw" thread (or close to that). In one of the posts, the "Braintree Braves" was also mentioned. In that posting, the group size is given as "one bugle, two drums, and 2 or 3 guard." Probably simply a matter of "same group, different year."

Yes, it was a long time ago. I think they got down to 3 in total, but it might' ve been 5 or 6 too, that could perhaps be accurate.. not entirely sure as I think back on it now today if it was 3, or maybe 5 or 6 or so in total.. But it was a "small Corps " family weekend touring model in the family van for sure, and the little marcher did just up and walk off the field in the middle of the performance too, which is the gist of what made it all so funny and/or macabre to those of us back then.

Edited by BRASSO

Brasso -- .

Thanks for your post. Yet another tidbit (though never unimportant) of drum corps history that I would never have known about without your help.

You're entirely welcome, HornTeacher.

Yes, it was a long time ago. I think they got down to 3 in total, but it might' ve been 5 or 6 too, that could be accurate. But it was a family weekend touring model in the family van for sure, and the marcher did just up and walk of the field in the middle of the performance too, which is the gist of what made it all so surreal to those of us back then.

Sorry -- wasn't doubting your memory in the slightest. As I said, probably a matter of "same group, different year." And your experience was even more interesting than the one I found posted. Crazy -- totally crazy (from an interest standpoint, I mean). I'd venture that "Malaguena" wasn't on the program that year. :cheesy:

Sorry -- wasn't doubting your memory in the slightest. As I said, probably a matter of "same group, different year." And your experience was even more interesting than the one I found posted. Crazy -- totally crazy (from an interest standpoint, I mean). . :cheesy:

We thought afterwards,:.... "that must've made for an interesting family conversation in the family Van after that show by the Corps ".

We thought afterwards,:.... "that must've made for an interesting family conversation in the family Van after that show by the Corps ".

Can you imagine what could possibly transpire in today's age of "any perceived slight or embarrassment to a minor constitutes neglect and/or abuse"??

Social Services would most surely be called in.