Smallest corps to make finals since 2000

I also did a general search, and found that the "Braintree Braves" were actual Class C Champions on the Eastern Massachusetts circuit in 1956, 1959, and 1962.

My Brother and I were members of the 59 championship corps. We finally beat St. Kevin's Emerald Chips (or was it Gems?), who won E. MA several times. By 62, as the only active marching member of our family, I was with the Warriors. Would have gone to the Saders in October of 62, but my Dad became President of the Braintree D&BC organization. Dam it!

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

My Brother and I were members of the 59 championship corps. We finally beat St. Kevin's Emerald Chips (or was it Gems?), who won E. MA several times. By 62, as the only active marching member of our family, I was with the Warriors. Would have gone to the Saders in October of 62, but my Dad became President of the Braintree D&BC organization. Dam it!

Congrats on your '59 championship, Ghost.

By the way...any members with you that year with the last names Adams, Allen, Arnold, Bass, Copeland, French, Hayden, Hayward, Hobart, Spear, Thayer, or Wild???

Would most probably be kin of mine from way back. And I'm taking WAAAAYYYYYYY back. :tounge2: (I'm talking 1690-1750).

Edited by HornTeacher

I think that same year, the Crossmen had something like 45 or 46 brass? Definitely less than 50. And they finished 7th or 8th. But they had a strong drumline and color guard to pick up the slack IIRC.

The mid 90s were a tough time for hornlines. Even the best ones weren't all that great.

We had a very interesting winter in 1996. I remember one camp around April or May wondering where the hell the hornline was. We had around 25 people show up. I never understood why we had such a tough time recruiting horn players. The drumline always had huge numbers show up at the first few camps. But for the record we had more than 50 horns, but only by one, and two were plugs who didn't play the book.

James Beatty

Crossmen Contra; 1996, 1998

Yeah, Xmen had a small group too - that was the year that YEA stepped in to save the corps. That was a pretty good show for them too - the opening drum feature was definitely a statement of intent. (But those uniform jackets... oy.)

Mike

Actually we had 125 that year. Smaller hornline but the drumline was full and the guard was huge.

James Beatty

Crossmen Contra; 1996, 1998

Probably '96 - Music of Ron Nelson. They were 12th, and definitely looked smaller than their peers that year.

Mike

Mike

I think we had 48 horns that year, definitely less than 50.

Good times! :)

Yeah, Xmen had a small group too - that was the year that YEA stepped in to save the corps. That was a pretty good show for them too - the opening drum feature was definitely a statement of intent. (But those uniform jackets... oy.)

Mike

That was a great opening, especially coming off of their 1995 classical music show. I think that was Mark Thurston's last year as their percussion guy

(agree about the jackets though)

• 3 years later...

Jim Buglio still advertises on Braintree Cable TV for Braves recruitment, and goes door-to-door for donations. He knocked on my door once in brutal cold, I couldn't help but donate. He is in first row,, third BOY from right with receding hairline(already) with the horn in front of him PS this is Braintree Warriors 196921368739_1841068919541102_87025217795262

Edited by DaveTV

On 4/18/2014 at 1:38 PM, MikeN said:

Probably '96 - Music of Ron Nelson. They were 12th, and definitely looked smaller than their peers that year.

Mike

Mike

Crossmen 93-96 weren't full i believe

On 4/19/2014 at 9:59 AM, Ghost said:

Was 10 in 57 and wanted to play trumpet in the rental programs offered in those days. Parents said "can't afford it" (had three younger brothers). So, for a buck a week, I joined the Braintree Braves who were taught by Ed Denon (the Hyde Park Crusaders horn instructor) and Paul Pallange(sp). Both Ed and Paul were members of the LT Norman Princemen Senior corps. Eventually I moved up to the Braintree Warriors and after the 63 season, joined Ed with the Boston Crusaders. While with the Braves/Warriors one of the baritones was Jim Buglio. The loudest player I ever heard. He was the kid who would show up at practice, no matter how cold it was, in just a white t-shirt. Ed could never get him to play softer. After my Patriot Ledger delivery years, I joined Jim at the Five Corners Dunkin Donuts. Jim would carry a 100LB bag of flower on each shoulder out to the baker. Jim was only about 5' 8", never worked out, but was a bull. Prior to every contest, when asked, he'd say we were going to win. He never said "boo", dated, and spent most of his time by himself. At contests, he would be off by himself watching every corps, drill team, band, etc. Too me, he was the only living Saint I have ever met.

After my USAF time, and for many years later, Jim could be seen driving an old Braintree Drum & Bugle Corps bread truck with the members of the Braves. Maybe a dozen in a good year. It seemed like Jim was determined to keep the Braintree Drum & Bugle Corps alive.

And they're still alive and kicking!

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/?p=2260

http://wicked-weymouth.eviesays.com/event/1176192/braintree-braves-drum-and-bugle-coprs.html

The Braintree Braves Drum and Bugle Corps are accepting girls between 8 and 14 years of age for their Winter Color Guard. Practice is at the Ross School on Friday from 6 to 7 p.m. Call manager Jim Buglio at 781-843-6313 for information.

I remember having to judge the Braves with the rules not to zero them out.....

Ghost,

Is this the article from Wicked Weymouth that you were subtly trying to bring to the attention of DCP posters?  Better hurry, only a few minutes left here on Eastern Standard Clock.

http://wicked-weymouth.eviesays.com/event/7083794/national-fossil-day-meet-paleontologist?tid=49487727

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

Is this the article from Wicked Weymouth that you were subtly trying to bring to the attention of DCP posters?  Better hurry, only a few minutes left here on Eastern Standard Clock.

http://wicked-weymouth.eviesays.com/event/7083794/national-fossil-day-meet-paleontologist?tid=49487727

I don't think so.  I just re read my post above and can't believe I typed 100LB bags when they were only 50.  I'm surprised that Jim is still attempting to keep the Braves active.  One must wonder if he still has the old bread truck.