Blue Devils 2014 Thread

It's fascinating how DCI fans are some of the most unprogressive and hypocritical fans around. As far as BDs current direction in shows being labeled as "esoteric", how can a piece that is a 100 years old be called esoteric? Just because YOU haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's esoteric. Which is why I'm calling these people unprogressive.

A show of hands, how many people here dislike pop music? Who here hates whats played on the radio? Who here tries to get there non musician friends to listen to "better" music or musicians? But when it comes to drum corps, all everyone wants to here is Malaguena and Phantom Of The Opera. Which is why I'm calling these people hypocrites.

Since 2008 BD has been wasting great shows on DCI.

Lol, it's "their" not "there" & "hear is Malaguena" not "here is Malaguena", and a 100 year old piece performed and arranged in an esoteric way would be construed as "esoteric".

I happened to like their show last year well enough ( not crazy about the design to give it the credit the judges did) performance-wise, but can understand people's view of their previous offerings since around 2008 being dubbed esoteric. No worries, many MANY corps shows from many corps have been esoteric since around '93 ( including Star of Indiana). It was really bad in the late 90s with BD being an exception for me, but other corps going off the deep end including SCV's "Not the Nutcracker" show, Crossmen's Barber of Seville Show, and unfortunately corpsreps.com is down right now or I'd give you a list of what I would consider esoteric shows from that time showing that nothing is new...

I know what they are playing. I'm not at liberty to say.

It's gonna be an old fashioned show with a rhumba in it. think black and white movie from the 50's. Pretty sure they should announce it by this weekend I'm hoping. I'm gonna go cook for Memorial day camp for the B corps.

I really have been loving the stuff they are putting out lately. Never cared for Bacharach but other than that I really like their productions.

• Like 1

It's fascinating how DCI fans are some of the most unprogressive and hypocritical fans around. , all everyone wants to here is Malaguena and Phantom Of The Opera. Which is why I'm calling these people hypocrites.

Well you certainly accomplished that by calling them out !, INeverMarched.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Lol, it's "their" not "there" & "hear is Malaguena" not "here is Malaguena", and a 100 year old piece performed and arranged in an esoteric way would be construed as "esoteric".

Oh com'on, ..INeverMarched was on such a good roll, don't get lost in his subpar syntax.. besides, I thought INeverMarched's specific name calling of others as " hypocrites " an interesting and funny rant comment all on its own.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

According to this http://instagram.com/p/nYg0iyReRR/# video that BD posted there is one part of their music was titled "Satryicon". Spelled exactly that way I could not find anything besides a club in Portland. It could be a misspelling of "satyricon" which is both a Roman novel and a Norwegian black metal band... so I have no idea...

There is also a 1969 film by Italian director Federico Fellini called "Satyricon". According to Wikipedia, when Satyricon was first screened, critics responded with "stunned bewilderment." So clearly, the film is perfect source material for BD.

• Like 1

There is also a 1969 film by Italian director Federico Fellini called "Satyricon". According to Wikipedia, when Satyricon was first screened, critics responded with "stunned bewilderment." So clearly, the film is perfect source material for BD.

That's def. an interesting film; it takes place during the Roman Empire, though doesn't really resemble a historically accurate presentation of Nero's reign (that might be putting it mildly).

It's fascinating how DCI fans are some of the most unprogressive and hypocritical fans around. As far as BDs current direction in shows being labeled as "esoteric", how can a piece that is a 100 years old be called esoteric? Just because YOU haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's esoteric. Which is why I'm calling these people unprogressive.

A show of hands, how many people here dislike pop music? Who here hates whats played on the radio? Who here tries to get there non musician friends to listen to "better" music or musicians? But when it comes to drum corps, all everyone wants to here is Malaguena and Phantom Of The Opera. Which is why I'm calling these people hypocrites.

Since 2008 BD has been wasting great shows on DCI.

It's fascinating to me how commonly people on DCP resort to flawed and facile logic.

"Esoteric": intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest.

Synonyms include: abstruse, obscure, arcane, recherché, rarefied, recondite, abstract; enigmatic, inscrutable, cryptic, Delphic; complex, complicated, incomprehensible, opaque, impenetrable, mysterious.

Hey, sounds like a typical BD show to me.

From what I can tell, many people did not "get" BD's 2013 show, meaning it made no emotional or intellectual connection with them. The show may have been an interesting collection of sounds and movement, but for most, this did not add up to an enriching artistic experience. This does not mean people are "unprogressive" or "hypocrites". It means THEY DID NOT ENJOY THE SHOW.

I have listened to classical music my entire life, but it took me decades to develop an appreciation for "Le Sacre du printemps". Now, I can say that I genuinely like it. But this does not mean I liked BD's interpretation of it.

And how ridiculous to suggest that because a work of music is 100 years old, it is therefore not esoteric. By your logic, the kids these days should all be jammin' to Gregorian chant. Ask a typical American to name any piece of music that is 100 years old, and the response will be either a blank stare, or maybe "Yankee Doodle."

Felliini's Satyricon* is deadly dull and pretentiously strange--exactly the kind of thing that Americans have in mind when they think of foreign films as weird--as proclaimed, for instance, in this well-known 1991 TV commercial. Which is a shame, because the best foreign films** are better than the best American films. (Or rather: they are equally fine, but there are more great foreign films than great American films.) And while the great mass of film critics probably were simply bewildered by this Fellini movie, the better ones (like Stanley Kauffmann, John Simon, and even Pauline Kael, as I recall) could see what Fellini was up to and were able to intelligently explain why the film failed both as an adaption of the ancient Roman book by Petronius and on its own terms. So if the Blue Devils are taking Satyricon as a model, let's hope they don't mean the pseudo-shocking Fellini!

*Here is a trailer for the Fellini film.

**Examples of superior foreign-language films: Pather Panchali (India; Satyajit Ray 1955), A Man Escaped (France; Robert Bresson 1956), Yojimbo (Japan; Akira Kurosawa 1961), The Four Hundred Blows (France; Francois Truffaut 1959), And Life Goes On (Iran; Abbas Kiarostami 1991), The Son's Room (Italy; Nanni Moretti 2001); Early Summer (Japan; Yasujiro Ozu 1951), M (Germany; Fritz Lang 1931), Shall We Dance (Japan; Masayuki Suo 1996), My Love Has Been Burning (Japan; Kenji Mizoguchi 1949), and yes, Federico Fellini's own The White Sheik (Italy, 1950), which is far better than his Satyricon.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Felliini's Satyricon* is deadly dull and pretentiously strange--exactly the kind of thing that Americans have in mind when they think of foreign films as weird--as proclaimed, for instance, in this well-known 1991 TV commercial. Which is a shame, because the best foreign films** are better than the best American films. (Or rather: they are equally fine, but there are more great foreign films than great American films.) And while the great mass of film critics probably were simply bewildered by this Fellini movie, the better ones (like Stanley Kauffmann, John Simon, and even Pauline Kael, as I recall) could see what Fellini was up to and were able to intelligently explain why the film failed both as an adaption of the ancient Roman book by Petronius and on its own terms. So if the Blue Devils are taking Satyricon as a model, let's hope they don't mean the pseudo-shocking Fellini!

*Here is a trailer for the Fellini film.

**Examples of superior foreign-language films: Pather Panchali (India; Satyajit Ray 1955), A Man Escaped (France; Robert Bresson 1956), Yojimbo (Japan; Akira Kurosawa 1961), The Four Hundred Blows (France; Francois Truffaut 1959), And Life Goes On (Iran; Abbas Kiarostami 1991), The Son's Room (Italy; Nanni Moretti 2001); Early Summer (Japan; Yasujiro Ozu 1951), M (Germany; Fritz Lang 1931), Shall We Dance (Japan; Masayuki Suo 1996), My Love Has Been Burning (Japan; Kenji Mizoguchi 1949), and yes, Federico Fellini's own The White Sheik (Italy, 1950), which is far better than his Satyricon.

oh God there are certain posters here that are going to have a picnic with this...lol..analyzing what original intent was how BD meant this or that and how it may or may not relate...this will be amusing but predictable to watch...lol