Blue Devils 2014 Thread

All I can say is their opener is something I have wanted them to play for a very long time. You'll see.

Who composed it

There is also a 1969 film by Italian director Federico Fellini called "Satyricon". According to Wikipedia, when Satyricon was first screened, critics responded with "stunned bewilderment." So clearly, the film is perfect source material for BD.

That's interesting. But do you think the Blue Devils would actually have a typo in the title of their movement? It's spelled "SatRyicon" with the "r" before the "y"in the video they posted not "SatyRicon". That seems strange to me.

Edited by charlie1223

That's interesting. But do you think the Blue Devils would actually have a typo in the title of their movement? It's spelled "SatRyicon" with the "r" before the "y"in the video they posted not "SatyRicon". That seems strange to me.

You are right, it is misspelled on the title page. Sure looks like a typo. But you know BD, always redefining things.

All I can say is their opener is something I have wanted them to play for a very long time. You'll see.

Please confirm that BD is not doing anything having to do with a minor Fellini work (it's REALLY hard to write off anything he does, as he was a master filmmaker who made several flat-out masterpieces; however, I agree with many that Satyricon is not his best).

You are right, it is misspelled on the title page. Sure looks like a typo. But you know BD, always redefining things.

Well, we've learned that it doesn't matter what it's called. It's not a typo, it's whatever whoever wants to call whatever.... A Rose by any other name is simply a Ruse.... :wow:

• Like 1

Well, the typo could be because they're still acquiring certain rights, but that's a stretch.

And of course we get a BD show thread on dcp with one vague hint at a movie and it's decided to make a list of all the foreign movies which are better than that one which was posted on BD's page

And while "inevermarched" could have been less harsh, could have grammar-checked and maybe could have used not such a broadly used word as "esoteric" to say BD shows tend to be interpreted as "disliked", he's probably more correct than wrong, just super bold. There is (maybe a minor but) vocal group of people here and on any social media outlet who tend to take stands against BD's successes since 2008 in the name of not digging the shows, not being "emotionally connected" to a bunch of 16-21 year old kids on a football field. People routinely choose not to enjoy devs' show for no better reasons than they claim to like other corps and shows. Since it's all subjective, shouldn't silly things like how well a show is liked by how many people be irrelevant? Or at least viewed relatively, next to how the corps sounds and marches.

I have here made the case before that this is probably just people's lame biases, and I'm guilty of them too, but darn it there's probably nothing that corps could do to reverse that because it seems to me BD has never stopped dabbling in the major chords and the get happy music, the Lauras, Los Suertes, I've got rhythm, all that Bacharach, I will wait for you (which I thought was deliberately sappy to an absurd extreme), Apollo 13, the Artist, sweeny todd. These people aren't nearly devoid of recognizable melody and Bb major chords.

I'm sure BD will be fine, and honestly I'm curious if the trope about BD coming out hot when they have a chip on their collective shoulders will hold up this summer or not.

Edited by TESB
  • Like 1

From what I have been hearing the drumming is going to be quite different this year. The members really love the music so who knows.

From what I have been hearing the drumming is going to be quite different this year. The members really love the music so who knows.

Well, the drumming in this corps is ALWAYS enjoyable. I look forward to it every year, and I'm a Cadet honk.

• Like 1