Yamaha and Jupiter Quantum marching baritones

Penn State

Hi All!

I hope everyone is doing well! I wanted to pick the brains of those who have had the opportunity to play on both the Yamaha and Jupiter Quantum marching baritones. I have played the Yamaha extensively. What should I expect from the Quantum horn?

The Quantum is definitely heavier and more bell heavy than the yamaha.

As playing goes I think the Quantum plays quite well in comparison to the Yamaha. Its more freeblowing and less stuffy, and I prefer the valves.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played both and I've had kids in high school I have taught that went from King to Jupiter, they complained that they had to struggle to get sound out with the Jupiters. Not a fan of Jupiter horns. My first choice (for Bb marching horns) is always Yamaha.

• Like 1

The Jupiter horns, on the whole, are really, really good. The 3.0 version (which Cabs just bought) are by far the best of the bunch. They are a bit heavier, especially the tubas, but that's a reflection of the updated build quality. They sound of the baritones and tubas is excellent, and they aren't to hard to tune (though like any horn, they have their quirks). The mellos can be a tuning nightmare, but not as bad as the Dynasty mello. Trumpet wise, they aren't quite what the Yamaha professional line puts out, but for field use they are close enough.

Personally, I like the System Blue brass more, but I'd take the Jupiters over Dynasty and Yamaha. There's a much bigger gap in terms of quality and sound between Jupiter and Dynasty though...the Yamahas aren't all that much better or worse...just different.

• 2 months later...

John, If you were to choose the brass for an entire corps, would you be at ease in selecting different vendors for each section?

If so ( and even if not ), what are your choices for each section?

If not, what would be your considerations for not doing so?

Edited by 1956OPR

My combo:

System Blue Tubas, or Yamaha Tuba if they added a 4th valve and had the tune any note feature like the Kanstuls

Yamaha Baris/System Blue Euph mixed together

System Blue mellos

Yamaha Xenos with reversed lead pipe/tuning slide

Actually, every horn should have a 4th valve and tune and note feature :cool:

Actually, every horn should have a 4th valve and tune and note feature :cool:

Sadly DCA rules only allow the cool instruments to have that 4th valve (referring to the tubas)

• 3 weeks later...

None of the above. I would go with Kanstul matched line. Played their horns and they are pretty consistent (build quality) and play well.

• Like 1