Drum Corps in Florida

This has probably been brought up before but Florida is seriously missing drum corps. It's sad how far you have to travel, living in Florida, to get to see World Class drum corps.

This has probably been brought up before but Florida is seriously missing drum corps. It's sad how far you have to travel, living in Florida, to get to see World Class drum corps.

True.. no DCI scheduled shows there in the state as there used to be.

Edited by BRASSO

Sun Devils and Tampa Bay Thunder are around but now World Class shows in the near future. Tampa Bay Thunder aren't even traveling this year...sad.

It sure does rain a lot in Florida during the summer.

About 30 mins a day around 2pm but still...

Hopefully that will change once renovations are complete on the Citrus Bowl.

Sun Devils and Tampa Bay Thunder are around but now World Class shows in the near future. Tampa Bay Thunder aren't even traveling this year...sad.

TBT is gone. Not even just taking a year off. Gone.

Found this on facebook by

Benny Pisani

Heat Wave of Florida is a music and marching educational organization based in Inverness, Florida. This is a new, start up organization, which will be open to anyone 12 yrs. old and up. Our goal is to provide a wholesome family organization, which will help the youth of Florida develop the life skills which will prepare them for adulthood, while having fun learning music and the marching arts including color guard skills. We intend to ultimately have 2 groups: a starter group for those without any experience, and an advanced group, which will participate in nationally sanctioned functions. ALL are welcome regardless of experience, race, sex. as long as the individual is willing to learn, he or she will be welcome. If yu have an interest, please contact us on our page here. More information will follow

• Like 3

TBT is gone. Not even just taking a year off. Gone.

Are you sure? If you go to their Facebook page, there is no mention of the corps folding. In fact, they seem to be gearing up for another season.

I don't live in Florida, but I have family there and spend some time down there when I can. Florida is an interesting beast when it comes to funding a drum corps, hosting a show, and factors with local schools and the state's eco system (climate, economy, businesses, etc.).

For starters, it does rain a lot, making it dicey to run a show. You would inevitably have many rain outs. An indoor venue would almost be a necessity. The last time DCI ran Finals there (2003) we dealt with serious rain each day. Semifinals ended at nearly 1am in the morning due to several rain delays, one of which I remember being almost 2 hours long. It's difficult on the marcher. The heat is just incredible with high humidity, especially in the central part of the state. Additionally, local public schools begin in early August so acquiring fields and gyms is not easy for the drum corps.

I know that DCI was hoping to attract more of a Florida fan base for the activity, and also more marchers from that state. Most that want to march must leave the state, with the nearest corps being in Georgia or Alabama (not counting the few small corps that still exist in Florida--and they are not active or touring as of now). The eco system down there is very different. Tourism, retirees, and plenty of summer jobs for college students has an impact.

I personally didn't mind DCI Finals being there once in a while. It's a big region with tons of hotels and lots of resorts and theme parks. If you paired your trip with a short vacation it was perfect and you didn't let the typically once-per-day rain affect you. But if you were just traveling to see the corps ONLY, then I imagine it wasn't the best experience.

If DCI wants future shows in the state, I'd strongly suggest sticking with coastal regions (where it cools down a bit in the evening). I'd also suggest one show per year at Disney where DCI could tie it in with tourists, and the revenues might be good for both DCI and Disney. I'm not talking about using the Citrus Bowl, but some facility in the Disney complex...maybe at the sports complex. Maybe also having a parade in Disney and Epcott. If nothing else, these events would be revenue generating, even if they were not your traditional shows.

But yes, running a traditional show in Florida is not easy.

• Like 3