Drum Corps in Florida

TBT is gone. Not even just taking a year off. Gone.

I emailed TBT to volunteer since I'm so close and this is the reply I received.

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately Thunder will not be going out on the road this summer. We are taking a season off to regroup.

Edited by nallop24

This is my all-time favorite topic. As an active music educator in central Florida, one of my biggest personal frustrations has been watching DCI wither away in the Sunshine state.

We are very lucky to have the Boston Crusaders rehearse in-state, but this is also problematic from the perspective that while much of our state's best talent goes there to perform, BAC is still almost entirely Boston-based on a financial and leadership level. The lack of a strong corps based in Florida, to a degree, prevents synergy that might otherwise develop were it not for BAC's near-monopoly on Florida's top drum corps talent.

In fact, I would say that the wisest course for encouraging Florida's DCI development would be to organize a sort of second home show for BAC in Orlando or perhaps Miami. It would be great if Florida stopped being considered "out of the way" through having events in Orlando, Miami, and elsewhere. It would be wonderful to have corps spend a few days in the state like they did in the days of the Orlando regional.

When the Glassmen started holding auditions in Florida in the late aughties was the last time I saw any significant development opportunity for World Class drum corps in Florida. There is a huge financial and talent pool here that has not been properly developed, and I believe that it is ripe for an organization that is willing to invest. I personally corralled many educational and commercial resources together in the interest of expanding Glassmen activity in Florida, but unfortunately, the corps ceased operations before this could be brought to fruition. I would love to see another group explore this possibility.

Basically, we need Howard Weinstein to work his magic on a Florida-based drum corps ;). If there were a World Class corps that had a vested interest in a Florida show every year, one that made money and promoted the development of said corps, I believe we would have much more activity in the state. Sadly, I don't see this happening soon.

If any entity is in a position to do something great for the Florida DCI community, it is probably BAC. I don't see many other viable scenarios.

• Like 2

I'm shocked that with all the Marching Band talent in Texas, coupled with all the DCI shows now in Texas that have taken place there over the years, that there has not been a serious World Class DIivision Corps that has come out of this large and growing state.

Florida at least has a perennial Finalist World Class Division Drum Corps that has cultivated good outreach with the schools there, and has convenient camps there for Floridians to enable them to more easily participate in DCI at the highest levels. ( lots of BAC retiree alums now are residents of Florida, or at least " snowbirds ", and a few of them go over to Bradenton, Fl. to help out now there with the kids and their staffs at their winter camps )

Texas has lots of camps for Western, Midewestern, Northern based Corps, and has had DCI bend over backwards for the state in providing lots and lots of shows there in Texas ( some in outdoor venues as , muggy, rainy, hot as a pistol too ), but this effort has resulted in zip.... ie, no serious World Class Division Corps of their own in Texas that has come up thru the ranks to seriously challenge for a Top 12 status.... Yes, I know the Crossmen relocated there from back east, but no start up Corps have been serious movers that have been hatched and nurtured from the Lone Star State. Whats up with THAT ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Are you sure? If you go to their Facebook page, there is no mention of the corps folding. In fact, they seem to be gearing up for another season.

Talked to MMs and thats what they heard from the staff

It would be cool if they would bring back magic of orlando speaking as a alum

I enjoyed most of the shows that the Magic of Orlando put out.... Suncoast Sound of Tampa was another fine Corps too. I thought Teal Sound had a chance to develop and potentially do some great things in World Class Div out of the state of Florida.. but it just never happened with Teal Sound, despite a very good beginning.

Edited by BRASSO

I believe Racine Scouts have ties now to the Jacksonville area - there is an opportunity there to march with the oldest unit still in competition.

Yup... The Racine Scouts ( Racine, Wisc) are the oldest unit still in competiition... good for them too.

.... Yes, I know the Crossmen relocated there from back east, but no start up Corps have been serious movers that have been hatched and nurtured from the Lone Star State. Whats up with THAT ?

Speaking as someone who just a few years ago came from a highly competitive BOA GN Finalist group in the midwest...

There are a lot of correlations between the Midwestern cluster of OH, MI, IN, and IL and TX in regards to the structure of the educational establishments there. To a degree, I would say this phenomenon has a corollary in the dynamics between the Boston Crusaders and Magic of Orlando near the end of Magic's existence. Many of the performers and instructors in Texas are of the highest quality, and as such are not as regionally limited. Further, there is a certain expectation among students in high-achieving competitive programs that their participation in a high-quality HS program translates into being a more qualified performer, thus these students will be more interested in a World Class corps with a proven track record than a local startup.

I would argue that we saw this happen in Florida on a smaller scale regarding Magic and Boston. Magic's lack of competitive success after 2004 certainly hurt their ability to recruit and retain quality membership, staff, etc. Many of the individuals who might have otherwise helped promote Magic's success instead participated with the Crusaders, largely because the level of talent in Florida engenders a certain expectation of achievement. Similarly there is much more appeal for a TX prospective MM to be part of a storied, established tradition like Crossmen as opposed to, say, a Revolution-type drum corps.

I also believe that Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Glassmen, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, and others held remote auditions in Texas, allowing prospective talent to face a smaller financial loss should they audition for the corps and not earn a spot.

Unfortunately here in Florida, despite the large population and significant talent, corps do not seem nearly as eager to promote satellite operations as they are in Texas, which is problematic; lacking a strong local body, we need all of the support from outside influence we can get.

Edited by HoltonH178
  • Like 1

Speaking as someone who just a few years ago came from a highly competitive BOA GN Finalist group in the midwest...

There are a lot of correlations between the Midwestern cluster of OH, MI, IN, and IL and TX in regards to the structure of the educational establishments there. To a degree, I would say this phenomenon has a corollary in the dynamics between the Boston Crusaders and Magic of Orlando near the end of Magic's existence. Many of the performers and instructors in Texas are of the highest quality, and as such are not as regionally limited. Further, there is a certain expectation among students in high-achieving competitive programs that their participation in a high-quality HS program translates into being a more qualified performer, thus these students will be more interested in a World Class corps with a proven track record than a local startup.

I would argue that we saw this happen in Florida on a smaller scale regarding Magic and Boston. Magic's lack of competitive success after 2004 certainly hurt their ability to recruit and retain quality membership, staff, etc. Many of the individuals who might have otherwise helped promote Magic's success instead participated with the Crusaders, largely because the level of talent in Florida engenders a certain expectation of achievement. Similarly there is much more appeal for a TX prospective MM to be part of a storied, established tradition like Crossmen as opposed to, say, a Revolution-type drum corps.

I also believe that Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Glassmen, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, and others held remote auditions in Texas, allowing prospective talent to face a smaller financial loss should they audition for the corps and not earn a spot.

Unfortunately here in Florida, despite the large population and significant talent, corps do not seem nearly as eager to promote satellite operations as they are in Texas, which is unfortunate; lacking a strong local body, we need all of the support from outside influence we can get.

Thanks for that insight... it was a good read.