Drum Corps in Florida

Speaking as someone who just a few years ago came from a highly competitive BOA GN Finalist group in the midwest...

There are a lot of correlations between the Midwestern cluster of OH, MI, IN, and IL and TX in regards to the structure of the educational establishments there. To a degree, I would say this phenomenon has a corollary in the dynamics between the Boston Crusaders and Magic of Orlando near the end of Magic's existence. Many of the performers and instructors in Texas are of the highest quality, and as such are not as regionally limited. Further, there is a certain expectation among students in high-achieving competitive programs that their participation in a high-quality HS program translates into being a more qualified performer, thus these students will be more interested in a World Class corps with a proven track record than a local startup.

I would argue that we saw this happen in Florida on a smaller scale regarding Magic and Boston. Magic's lack of competitive success after 2004 certainly hurt their ability to recruit and retain quality membership, staff, etc. Many of the individuals who might have otherwise helped promote Magic's success instead participated with the Crusaders, largely because the level of talent in Florida engenders a certain expectation of achievement. Similarly there is much more appeal for a TX prospective MM to be part of a storied, established tradition like Crossmen as opposed to, say, a Revolution-type drum corps.

I also believe that Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Glassmen, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, and others held remote auditions in Texas, allowing prospective talent to face a smaller financial loss should they audition for the corps and not earn a spot.

Unfortunately here in Florida, despite the large population and significant talent, corps do not seem nearly as eager to promote satellite operations as they are in Texas, which is unfortunate; lacking a strong local body, we need all of the support from outside influence we can get.

MAgic unfortunately imploded due to bad management before the last few years. Money Money Money and promises they couldnt keep to staff, kids not paying,past huge bills that the last management tried to dig out from under

( which wasnt their debt ) did this corps in. Florida as you said also is not supported by other programs much either. Alot of Bostons success in Florida also had to do with many kids following some staff. This certainly helped

Its goes without saying,... a Corps needs a resourceful, flexible, competent, and fully committed organization in order to sustain long term sucess in DCI Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

MAgic unfortunately imploded due to bad management before the last few years. Money Money Money and promises they couldnt keep to staff, kids not paying,past huge bills that the last management tried to dig out from under

( which wasnt their debt ) did this corps in. Florida as you said also is not supported by other programs much either. Alot of Bostons success in Florida also had to do with many kids following some staff. This certainly helped

Like most scenarios, there is never one singular cause. Speaking as someone who was of marching age, majoring in music, living in Florida and considering both Boston and Magic as options for the 06 season, this was just my impression regarding one factor. I didn't mean to imply that I had perfect or complete perspective on the matter.

Like most scenarios, there is never one singular cause. Speaking as someone who was of marching age, majoring in music, living in Florida and considering both Boston and Magic as options for the 06 season, this was just my impression regarding one factor. I didn't mean to imply that I had perfect or complete perspective on the matter.

Oh I didnt think you were saying anything. Just added what the issues with MAgic were and Bostons staff ( which some had been burned by magic) got many kids to do Boston. Just sad with all the talent in Florida that nothing stays very long

All are valid points and I totally agree...Florida is hot and rainy....I know, I live in central Florida.

Also, with as many large corporations as there are in Florida it just dumbfounds me that no one will support and back a World Class Drum Corp...I know a lot of people give Star flack for the way Bill Cook funded them but he was a great business man. The companies he created to fund the corps provided the opportunity to have long term financial stability and for the life of me I can't figure out why no other corporations will follow that model and back/start a corps.

Is drum corps that dead to the outside world? Is it only known in our small circle? One last thing....why doesn't DCI advertise more....look how sports are shoved down our throats on an hourly basis but you very rarely, if ever, hear about drum corps or DCI...confusing and frustrating.

My only thoughts on the state of Florida

florida.gif

So how do you really feel Cappybara?

I'm shocked that with all the Marching Band talent in Texas, coupled with all the DCI shows now in Texas that have taken place there over the years, that there has not been a serious World Class DIivision Corps that has come out of this large and growing state.

Florida at least has a perennial Finalist World Class Division Drum Corps that has cultivated good outreach with the schools there, and has convenient camps there for Floridians to enable them to more easily participate in DCI at the highest levels. ( lots of BAC retiree alums now are residents of Florida, or at least " snowbirds ", and a few of them go over to Bradenton, Fl. to help out now there with the kids and their staffs at their winter camps )

Texas has lots of camps for Western, Midewestern, Northern based Corps, and has had DCI bend over backwards for the state in providing lots and lots of shows there in Texas ( some in outdoor venues as , muggy, rainy, hot as a pistol too ), but this effort has resulted in zip.... ie, no serious World Class Division Corps of their own in Texas that has come up thru the ranks to seriously challenge for a Top 12 status.... Yes, I know the Crossmen relocated there from back east, but no start up Corps have been serious movers that have been hatched and nurtured from the Lone Star State. Whats up with THAT ?

As a Texan..... IKR?!

All are valid points and I totally agree...Florida is hot and rainy....I know, I live in central Florida.

Also, with as many large corporations as there are in Florida it just dumbfounds me that no one will support and back a World Class Drum Corp...I know a lot of people give Star flack for the way Bill Cook funded them but he was a great business man. The companies he created to fund the corps provided the opportunity to have long term financial stability and for the life of me I can't figure out why no other corporations will follow that model and back/start a corps.

Is drum corps that dead to the outside world? Is it only known in our small circle? One last thing....why doesn't DCI advertise more....look how sports are shoved down our throats on an hourly basis but you very rarely, if ever, hear about drum corps or DCI...confusing and frustrating.

Make it your life-long mission and start one.