6. I hate sideline screamers/soloists. No offense to Ponzo, he sounded great. I hated it when Empire always did it and now Cabs have done it two years in a row.

Sorry to disappoint you. Due to medical issues, I just cannot "march" anymore!

That still does not make sideline guys viable. in a movement marching arts activity.

That still does not make sideline guys viable. in a movement marching arts activity.

Actually.. there is no rule against it thus they are as viable to the show as everyone else. Unless you're one of the guys who think marching timpani still has a place in competitive drum corps. However, if you haven't seen the show Frank is integrated into multiple parts of the drill when possible.

• Like 2

Then you need to start your very own drum corps and incorporate those protocols within your own design team if one thinks it is so bad.

Ah yes because one needs to have their own drum corps in order to have an opinion on something in this activity

Ah yes because one needs to have their own drum corps in order to have an opinion on something in this activity

There are historically generic opinions and there are "credible" opinions/insights.

The "credible" ones come from folks who have the actual "boots on the ground".

Hey Bill.....it's really ok. I don't need anyone to fight my battles or stick up for me, although I do appreciate it.

DCAFan85 is entitled to his opinion......and that is ok. I have nothing against him or his opinions.....neither should anyone else.

At one time, I felt the same way about standing on the sideline and playing. Even last year....when the injury occurred, I considered stepping out of the corps and let someone else take over...but the management told me it was ok for me to stand on the sideline and just "do my thing".

This year, they actually designed some of the show around my inability to march, and I am ever so thankful. Just shows how much class the Caballeros have for continuously allowing me to perform with them!

• Like 6

Cabs wore all black unis several years back for the entire show,................not sure what year tho,..........

Actually back in the early 00's the pit was black on black. That changed to the standard White/Black after just one year though. That might be what your thinking of. But the corps proper, I believe, was always White over black. Just my $.2.

I am by no means an expert reviewer or professional musician or whatever so I'll leave just a few points I saw from an old low brass players perspective..

1. Cabs should have won hands down. It was very apparent from the stands who the winner was, too bad the judges didn't agree.

2. Cabs tubas are once again a powerhouse. They weren't clean this show but they have a lot of 16th note runs and a much harder book than the Bucs tubas, when I could hear the Bucs tubas. So thank you for going the harder route and not the easier one like most corps.

3. Cabs had a lot of spacing issues visually. But they weren't bumping into each other like Bucs were.

4. Cabs uniform change. First change since they were founded perhaps? Mid show none the less. Pretty cool effect.

5. Bucs show didn't impress me musically. But I'll chalk that up to being the first show. Cabs had their own issues too. Some missed releases and spreading of tones through both corps

6. I hate sideline screamers/soloists. No offense to Ponzo, he sounded great. I hated it when Empire always did it and now Cabs have done it two years in a row.

In conclusion, Cabs should have won. Stupid politics in judging. Cabs are much better prepared than I have ever seen them. I don't think it's so much that Bucs are slipping but more so that Cabs have significantly stepped up their game.

All good stuff. Thanks for your review. As Frank said, your welcome to your opinion and please don't let the other comments sway you from posting again in the future!

• Like 1

If I was personally attacking someone that would be one thing. However, I don't like the CONCEPT of the sideline soloist.

Frank, I have always known the Cabs to be a classy organization, so it doesn't surprise me they would design a show to keep you active in the corps. Not to mention the overall design of the show is fantastic. I'm excited to see it develop over the next 2 months or so.

Edited by DCAfan85
  • Like 2

If I was personally attacking someone that would be one thing. However, I don't like the CONCEPT of the sideline soloist.

Frank, I have always known the Cabs to be a classy organization, so it doesn't surprise me they would design a show to keep you active in the corps. Not to mention the overall design of the show is fantastic. I'm excited to see it develop over the next 2 months or so.

No worries dude/dudette (because you are hiding behind a screen name).....no offense taken. No harm, no foul!

And I thank you for your semi-review as well. I would have liked to hear more about Bucs though...sounds like you are a HUGE cabs fan! (Thanks for that!!)