If I was personally attacking someone that would be one thing. However, I don't like the CONCEPT of the sideline soloist.

Frank, I have always known the Cabs to be a classy organization, so it doesn't surprise me they would design a show to keep you active in the corps. Not to mention the overall design of the show is fantastic. I'm excited to see it develop over the next 2 months or so.

I don't either. I couldn't stand it when Minnesota Brass had four guys parked in the pit, who literally never took a single step other than to turn around (they did the 'backs to the audience' thing when not playing). I detested Statesmen doing it, particularly bringing in ringers for only certain shows. I understood it, but again...doesn't mean I have to like it.

Having said that, I like what Cabs are doing with Frank, as I said above. Again, he's not a lunchbox...he's integral part of the visual program.

• Like 2

Actually.. there is no rule against it thus they are as viable to the show as everyone else. Unless you're one of the guys who think marching timpani still has a place in competitive drum corps. However, if you haven't seen the show Frank is integrated into multiple parts of the drill when possible.

It will never happen, but I have for some time argued on these forums that there ought to be a tiny penalty for every person who spends more than 50% of the show not marching, on the grounds that drum corps is in its essence a marching musical ensemble--and believe me, I love what the pit brings to the experience of drum corps and never knew drum corps before there was a pit. But it would encourage organizations to think more creatively about just how many people they have to park to get the sound they want. This year's Cavaliers show, for instance, quite possibly could be rewarded relative to the competition by virtue of moving those marimbas around the field. But Frank on trumpet* would cost Caballeros no more than any other pit performer.

I feel the same way about amplification, on the grounds that at its heart, drum corps is an acoustic ensemble: there should be a penalty for every microphone, and a much bigger penalty for every synthesizer. Again I recognize that this change, beneficial though it would be, isn't going to happen. The real world is imperfect, but it doesn't hurt to remember ideals.

*Speaking of which, last year I took a friend to DCA Finals. He'd never seen any DCA corps before. After the first few, he wasn't sure what he was seeing justified a seven-hour drive each way, but starting with about the time Bushwackers or AtlantaCV performed (I don't remember which), he really began to enjoy himself. One specific point he made late in the show was that he appreciated how Caballeros' featured soloist was more integrated into the performance than Empire's soloists.

• Like 1

So, anyone got any reviews other than "I thought Cabs should have won"? I saw the Scranton show a few years back, where Bucs could have walked off the field, got on their buses and went home after their opener and still won by 5 points....and folks in the stands thought Empire took the show! Thank god we have judges! And Empire and Minnesota have a reputation of parking a lot? Who would have thunk it, huh?

*Speaking of which, last year I took a friend to DCA Finals. He'd never seen any DCA corps before. After the first few, he wasn't sure what he was seeing justified a seven-hour drive each way, but starting with about the time Bushwackers or AtlantaCV performed (I don't remember which), he really began to enjoy himself. One specific point he made late in the show was that he appreciated how Caballeros' featured soloist was more integrated into the performance than Empire's soloists.

In general, I would tend to agree with your distaste for pit brass. If you get a chance to see Cabs this summer,though, I think you'll agree they STILL do a really nice job visually integrating Frank into the whole production. And I'm sure I'm far from alone when I say I'm sure glad he's there :worthy: .

So, anyone got any reviews other than "I thought Cabs should have won"? I saw the Scranton show a few years back, where Bucs could have walked off the field, got on their buses and went home after their opener and still won by 5 points....and folks in the stands thought Empire took the show! Thank god we have judges! And Empire and Minnesota have a reputation of parking a lot? Who would have thunk it, huh?

Ask the majority of the people in the stands and they would agree. People were confused that they lost. And yes, judges are always right so thank god for them. *please note the sarcasm about the judges*

• Like 1

Well someone previously of the Bucs organization had a post up and removed it that pretty much toasted the judges on their reading of the show. But you are very pro-Bucs so it really won't make a difference to you. For those of us who saw it, it was an eye-opener.

• Like 1

Cabs wore all black unis several years back for the entire show,................not sure what year tho,..........

Like Frank, I cannot ever remember the Cabs in all black, with the exception of their pit. They did wear black satin blouses with the black bell-bottoms, but still had the red sashes. Maybe that's what you recall, Gary?

Well someone previously of the Bucs organization had a post up and removed it that pretty much toasted the judges on their reading of the show. But you are very pro-Bucs so it really won't make a difference to you. For those of us who saw it, it was an eye-opener.

So indicating that at every show they have entered over the last several years, Bucs have been the class of the field makes me "pro-Bucs"? I'm simply calling it as I, or anyone else with any kind of Drum Corps accumen would see it. And I indicated on another thread what a good thing it is for the circuit to finally have some sense of competition for the championship. One thing is for sure...a LOT of tickets will be sold for the Grand Prix!

Like Frank, I cannot ever remember the Cabs in all black, with the exception of their pit. They did wear black satin blouses with the black bell-bottoms, but still had the red sashes. Maybe that's what you recall, Gary?

1993....white blouse, black bolero, black pants no colored stripe or bell bottoms red cumberbun

Edited by GUARDLING

So indicating that at every show they have entered over the last several years, Bucs have been the class of the field makes me "pro-Bucs"? I'm simply calling it as I, or anyone else with any kind of Drum Corps accumen would see it. And I indicated on another thread what a good thing it is for the circuit to finally have some sense of competition for the championship. One thing is for sure...a LOT of tickets will be sold for the Grand Prix!

You mean like 2011, when you basically wrote off MBI's chances of beating the Bucs?

So much for your "drum corps acumen." :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3