Seriously though...it certainly has been a schizophrenic first 2 weeks of the season! First week you got folks saying Cabs should have caption swept the Bucs and won by 3 points. Second week Cabs can't even throw down a caption sweep against Fusion Corps,...who BTW are so far the REAL story this season. Hopefully the judges get a good nights sleep before Grand Prix, and hopefully Big W will be in attendance!

Don'tt think it will matter if Big W is in attendance or not. Isn't he STILL writing that finals review from last year?? :tounge2:

(KIdding Big W....LOVE reading your reviews, even if it does take you 6 weeks to get them done!! LOL)

• Like 2

Seriously though...it certainly has been a schizophrenic first 2 weeks of the season! First week you got folks saying Cabs should have caption swept the Bucs and won by 3 points. Second week Cabs can't even throw down a caption sweep against Fusion Corps,...who BTW are so far the REAL story this season. Hopefully the judges get a good nights sleep before Grand Prix, and hopefully Big W will be in attendance!

Cabs can't even throw down a caption sweep against Fusion Corps

So what's wrong with that? We as a fan community have been so used to almost total domination by one team for so long, it's understandable we would expect any show winner to sweep. But isn't this what we want? Having one, two, three, or even four corps slugging it out every weekend. Having Fusion winning a caption keeps them in the race. If Cabs swept everything, we'd already start with the talk of how far they would go this year. Now, we have to wait for Bridgeport and the Grand Prix to really get an idea.

It's also worth noting that Cabs won both Effect areas, Brass, Vis Ensemble, and Communication. Pretty solid night regardless.

I got a chance to watch all 4 competing corps that night and Fusion absolutely had a good show. Cabs on the other hand had a few issues that night. Nothing they won't fix by next week I'm sure. Cabs not executing a caption sweep is a good indication the judges are awake and that everything will have to be earned.

Let's also keep in mind that the gap between Fusion and Cabs is virtually the same from the first outing so both Corps grew quite well within a week.

I'm excited to see how this will all play out over the next few weeks. The Grand Prix is looking to potentially the most explosive event this year.

You've really got to admire Fusion and their staff. Where this program has came from in just a few short years is very impressive. Ultimately thought I think their small hornline and younger inexperienced staff will plateau 3/4 of the way through their season. Cabs, Bucs, and C2 have a higher ceiling IMO as to where they can take their program based on what I saw. But if they do pass the Cabs, they will have earned it.

• Like 4

For those who were in Bayonne I'm sure you all noticed that all the competing corps went on when the sun was directly in their faces. I'm pretty sure this effected their ability to have their best performance. Despite the recaps and the numbers given, I wouldn't use this show as a yard stick as to what is considered the best that these corps can possibly deliver. I was hoping to see a great showing, but their performance time during sun down I think made it impossible for any of them to give their best. I guess we will get a better showing at the Gran Prix.

• Like 1

For those who were in Bayonne I'm sure you all noticed that all the competing corps went on when the sun was directly in their faces. I'm pretty sure this effected their ability to have their best performance. Despite the recaps and the numbers given, I wouldn't use this show as a yard stick as to what is considered the best that these corps can possibly deliver. I was hoping to see a great showing, but their performance time during sun down I think made it impossible for any of them to give their best. I guess we will get a better showing at the Gran Prix.

FWIW, the sun was also a factor in Wildwood. I heard it didn't quite set behind the rec center in time for some of the early corps.

Edited by MotoSurfBass

LOL, Frank. getting a 23 corps show and season wrap-up proved crazy. Friend backing his car into my wagon, band Season, then getting sick, getting the G.B yanked out and then the surgical team all gawked at it because it was so screwed up... everything conspired against me! :satisfied:

I'll throw in a perspective here about Cabs not sweeping Fusion in all captions, and I think some people are also hitting on it- That's not any indictment on the Cabs at all. Maybe... Fusion is THAT good. I know it's a new season, I haven't seen them, but they did break 90 last year at Finals, and they've been steadily putting the pieces together and I've been in touch off and on with people there. They've had a good vibe going, and maybe some folks need to take them a bit more seriously then thay have been. :cool::exclamation:

• Like 1

So what's wrong with that? We as a fan community have been so used to almost total domination by one team for so long, it's understandable we would expect any show winner to sweep. But isn't this what we want? Having one, two, three, or even four corps slugging it out every weekend. Having Fusion winning a caption keeps them in the race. If Cabs swept everything, we'd already start with the talk of how far they would go this year. Now, we have to wait for Bridgeport and the Grand Prix to really get an idea.

It's also worth noting that Cabs won both Effect areas, Brass, Vis Ensemble, and Communication. Pretty solid night regardless.

I got a chance to watch all 4 competing corps that night and Fusion absolutely had a good show. Cabs on the other hand had a few issues that night. Nothing they won't fix by next week I'm sure. Cabs not executing a caption sweep is a good indication the judges are awake and that everything will have to be earned.

Let's also keep in mind that the gap between Fusion and Cabs is virtually the same from the first outing so both Corps grew quite well within a week.

I'm excited to see how this will all play out over the next few weeks. The Grand Prix is looking to potentially the most explosive event this year.

You've really got to admire Fusion and their staff. Where this program has came from in just a few short years is very impressive. Ultimately thought I think their small hornline and younger inexperienced staff will plateau 3/4 of the way through their season. Cabs, Bucs, and C2 have a higher ceiling IMO as to where they can take their program based on what I saw. But if they do pass the Cabs, they will have earned it.

Can't add a word to that.

Stated perfectly.

Don'tt think it will matter if Big W is in attendance or not. Isn't he STILL writing that finals review from last year?? :tounge2:

(KIdding Big W....LOVE reading your reviews, even if it does take you 6 weeks to get them done!! LOL)

Six weeks? I think you must be his press agent.

It takes me six weeks to read some of the things he FINISHES!

I think he went to the Stephen King school of brevity.

And that's coming from me, a man of a few thousand words!

BTW I LIKE Stephen King AND Big W.

And they both scare me at times.

Perhaps I should clarify what I was trying to point out with my comment. After the Wildwood show, one of the "judges" in the audience indicated that they thought Cabs should have swept the captions and won the show by 3 points! I was trying to point out that apparently the folks who actually get paid to judge must have a completely different view of things at this early point of the season. Of course, I agree that it is a great thing to see Fusion in the mix, but anyone who could say that they would have expected to see Fusion within sniffing distance of the Cabs would likely be lying. Edited by VOReason

Perhaps I should clarify what I was trying to point out with my comment. After the Wildwood show, one of the "judges" in the audience indicated that they thought Cabs should have swept the captions and won the show by 3 points! I was trying to point out that apparently the folks who actually get paid to judge must have a completely different view of things at this early point of the season. Of course, I agree that it is a great thing to see Fusion in the mix, but anyone who could say that they would have expected to see Fusion within sniffing distance of the Cabs would likely be lying.

Well, the Judges also are looking at pretty specialized facets of program- unless they're on effect where you have to take into account the whole enchilada. That also will skew perspectives as well. Prolly the most infamous example of that was BITD when Oakland Crusaders won Percussion at DCI prelims and ended up 13th. Or 2 years back when Crown had the bad percussion run at finals that cost them the win.