New Florida drum corps: HEAT WAVE OF FLORIDA

HEAT WAVE OF FLORIDA FIRST MEETING WILL BE A MEET AND GREET TO BE HELD SOMETIME IN OCT. 2014. EXACT DATE AND PLACE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON. STAY TUNED FOLKS!!

IF YOU WIDH TO REGISTER, PLEASE GO TO OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.HEATWAVEOFFLORIDA.COM . IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT DIRECTOR@HEATWAVEOFFLORIDA.ORG

THANKS!!

BENNY PISANI

DIRECTOR

HEAT WAVE OF FLORIDA

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who took part in an attempt to get a Soundsport team going in Tampa, I wish you the best of luck! Be sure that the county school board approves of your group rehearsing on school property and using school equipment if you plan to do so. The main reason our group never got off the ground was because we failed to get official school board permission to rehearse on school property and to use school equipment. Also make sure your organization has a stable insurance situation!

Do you already have instruments to use or has that not been handled yet?

Wasn't there a Heat Wave drum and Bugle corps from Miami in the 1980's? I seem to remember that there was. They had orange uniforms similar to the Bahamian police, and Pith Helmets.

Wasn't there a Heat Wave drum and Bugle corps from Miami in the 1980's? I seem to remember that there was. They had orange uniforms similar to the Bahamian police, and Pith Helmets.

That was Florida Wave.

Edited by CHRISP

As someone who took part in an attempt to get a Soundsport team going in Tampa, I wish you the best of luck! Be sure that the county school board approves of your group rehearsing on school property and using school equipment if you plan to do so. The main reason our group never got off the ground was because we failed to get official school board permission to rehearse on school property and to use school equipment. Also make sure your organization has a stable insurance situation!

Do you already have instruments to use or has that not been handled yet?

We have approved rehearsal facilities gratus of the local superentendent of schools, we are in the process of securing our necessary equipment and will borrow what we cant purchase. I have done the preliminary research in order to make this work. I'm well aware of the difficulties this involves, and have tried to plan accordingly. We already have a good number of parent volunteers, as well as drum corps alumni, who are prepared to give their time to make us a success (and no, these are NOT board members or administrative staff-we have about 16 volunteers who have actually signed up to support our kids). We are welcoming suggestions and support from anyone in Florida who wants to help.

T

That was Florida Wave.

Yep.....and I already mentioned to Benny that there could be some confusion between his Heat Wave and the DCA one that recently existed in Florida.

He doesn't seem to think so....I think he's wrong, but it's his corps and his call.

Yep.....and I already mentioned to Benny that there could be some confusion between his Heat Wave and the DCA one that recently existed in Florida.

He doesn't seem to think so....I think he's wrong, but it's his corps and his call.

I'm well aware of the DCA Senior corps named Heat Wave (Of Orlando), which terminated its time back in 2007 (? might have been 2006). Matter of fact, I was a member of Heat Wave Of Orlando in 2001, and for a short time, on the Board Of Directors. Many have asked me why I wanted to use this name, and honestly, its to honor those who made Drum corps in Florida viable, particularly one who was close to me. I've had some Heat wave Of Orlando alumni who support this (and the name use) and some who do not. Its all in the individual perspective. There should be no confusion, Heat Wave Of Orlando is gone, and during its existance, it was a senior/DCA corps. We will be an open class DCI corps. And yes Sam, I gave it a lot of thought, and decided to move forward. We have already made strides, we have our 501C3, we have some volunteers (actually, quite a few), members signing up, donors who are writing checks, its moving along AND, if it fails I am responsible, but I'm not about to let that happen . I'll put all I have into this, and there are quite a few (old timers) who are working with me. We're not here to compete with ANY other group in Florida, rather we want to give the kids an opportunity to be a part of a Florida DCI corps. I really want to make this happen.

• Like 1