Best hornline in DCI

A hornline that I think might be the most underrated in DCIs modern era (I haven't seen them all so I could be wrong) is crown 05. They were extremely clean and had a beautiful sound, yet they came in 7th. They seemed to have a better sound then they did in 07, 08, and 09. I'm surprised they weren't in the top 5 in 05, they had such a beautiful sound.

• Like 1

Since I know it will be forgotten to the annals of history, forever in the shadow of Carolina Crown's first championship (and tremendously awesome hornline), I'd like to take a moment to recognize the Cadets' 2013 hornline. Year-in, year-out, Jay Bocook writes some of the most demanding stuff in DCI. Just listen to that show! The variety of demands his charts place on the performers... not just mastering 16th-note runs but incredibly exposed lines, wonderful intonation and blend challenges, ensemble tone and technique... The Cadets had the HARDEST book in DCI last year. I agree that Crown's PERFORMANCE was better, but I would argue that two of the Top 10 (maybe even Top 5) lines in DCI history were on the field last summer, but only one gets duly recognized.

• Like 3

I agree, Cadets got overshadowed by the BD/CC slugfest last year. They were magnificent. By far the LOUDEST hornline last season but they also had some wonderful spots of true musicianship on display.

I have a hard time listening to shows with g bugles because the shows are so top heavy (except for phantom) and the pitch just sounds weird to me.

Listen to to corps who were known for a good bottom sound. Phantom, Star. Actually, depends on when. It pays to listen to more than just the first or second place corps too.

Leaving 83-86 Suncoast off the list is criminal, as is leaving of 91 and 93 Blue Devils.

Being a member of Suncoast during that time period I could not agree with you any more!! The 91 & 93 BD hornlines were crazy! My favorite Open Wide from 1993 and also the finals video spotlight with Wayne Downey giving the explanation and responsibilities of each brass instrument in the orchestrations for the Blue Devils!!!

• Like 2

Listen to to corps who were known for a good bottom sound. Phantom, Star. Actually, depends on when. It pays to listen to more than just the first or second place corps too.

Any specific suggestions?

Academie Musicale

• Like 1

Any specific suggestions?

Star '90. Star '91 & '93 get all the hype, but Star '90 is my favorite. Star '92 ain't too shabby either. Star '88 Porgy and Bess. Powerful mid and low brass. Basically, similar sound to Crown.

SCV '97 - Fog City Sketches

SCV 2000 - Age of Reverence

Blue Knights '99 - Suite for Brass and Percussion

Glassmen 2001 - IMAGO

• Like 2