Mid 1960s Encyclopedia DC pic

Yeah them big ##### set of books that now fit on a CD with tons of room to spare. That is if anyone is even making Encyclopdias on CD anymore. Had one when we bought our first PC about 20 years back and haven't seen 'em since.

Anyway not sure who this is, thought I knew but either the corps changed the unis or might be a feeder corps. Any help would... well help.....

gw1110004.jpg?t=1403463484

gw1110003-2.jpg

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That definitely is one classic drum corps look! The black/white plumes are rather unique. Not many corps had that style.

I checked in the Encyclopedia of Drum Corps (published in 1966) and that particular corps does not show up.

Does it also appear that the stripe (actually a gold/black stripe) on the shirt runs vertically on half of the blouse, as opposed to a diagonal stripe/sash that the majority of corps wore?

The guys pictured seem to be too old to be a feeder corps.....might even be a senior unit.

Hey Jim,

I also like the very next photo in your photostream, with the St. Paul Schmidt Indians senior corps. They were probably the first corps I ever saw (along with the St. Paul Scouts), since they both used to march in my local 4th of July parade every year back in the 1950s/early 1960s.

I was thinking Blessed Sac too but the pics I found had the corps in a yellow top. Kicker is this pic was found in the "Photography" pages..... Irony is the last copyright year on the encyclopedia is 1967... And that short dude 2nd from the right is just throwing me......

As for Schmidt Indians... once in a while I surf eBay and look for items that are "different". Glad you enjoyed, will have to scan my Doremus Post Booster pinback from 1948.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

This mystery group really has me guessing. The unis, though similar to both Selden Golden Lancers (a/k/a Cadets) and Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles, are not identical to any versions I recall. The 2-tone plume really throws me.

It's certainly not Blessed Sacrament, though whoever these cat are, they sure can march, holding a pretty respectable dress with about a dozen in the front. This was a field competing corps, in all likelihood, not a parade-only group.

As for the diminuative sop, this might be Tommy Shields, c. 1959, which would tip the balance towards Floyd Bennett.

Andy Lisko or John Keays could help out here.

The reason I mentioned Blessed Sac was because the vertical stripe on the blouse is similar to what they had (except this corps has it on the opposite side from Sac). That's what makes the pictured uniform unique. Most of the corps had diagonal belts/sashes/stripes on their tops.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Frank ... just guessing here ... but ... the tall sop next to the Cossetti like short guy looks a lot like Jimmy Ednie ... prior to St. Rocco's famous powder blue unis (introduced in 1963) they were called the "Golden Aces" ... could this possibly be St. Rocco's in 61 or 62? ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko