Mid 1960s Encyclopedia DC pic

Selden Cadets is a very good guess. One of the best soprano lines of their day, IMO. It also might be early St Andrew's Bridgemen

Gil

The photos I've seen of Selden have them wearing different sashes than the one in the photo. Also, I've seen Selden with gold plumes or black plumes, but not with black/white. By 1963 they were wearing military jackets (that had an easily-visible "S" crest patch on the shoulder), and not the blouses pictured.

According to the Bridgemen history website, they didn't switch to black, gold and white until the 1968 season, later than when the photo was taken.

Edited by Northern Thunder

>>According to the Bridgemen history website, they didn't switch to black, gold and white until the 1968 season, later than when the photo was taken.<<

Also, pictures of them in the 60's don't match up with the blouses of the corps we're trying to figure out ...

hmmmm ...

Well... what about the Sr side? Hard to tell but guy to the right of the Cosetti sized horn player (like I have room to talk) has an older looking face. Well what you can see of it. Well the height challenged guy has a face that could hide a wide range of age too.

And agree on the marching ability as lot of people in that line.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

>>Well... what about the Sr side?<<

Jim, here's why I don't think it's a Sr corps ... the guy marching along the side of the corps (near the curb) appears to be a chaperone, quartermaster or maybe their director ... dressed in a p|sscutter and sweater ... you didn't see that in Sr corps ... only Jr corps ...

:-)

>>Well... what about the Sr side?<<

Jim, here's why I don't think it's a Sr corps ... the guy marching along the side of the corps (near the curb) appears to be a chaperone, quartermaster or maybe their director ... dressed in a p|sscutter and sweater ... you didn't see that in Sr corps ... only Jr corps ...

I kept looking at that part of the picture and couldn't figure if there was another person there. Looked like it but not dressed exatly like everyone else. Thought maybe color guard but no flag. Well that answers what the heck I was (and wasn't) seeing. OK... Jr corps.

Here's one thought ... is this possibly the Lakeland Goldenaires of Pompton Lakes, NJ? ... charter member of the GSC in the early 60's ... the only pic I found though was in DCN of a contra player ... but he had a white plume ... Brian, you have any other pics of them?

ps - Frank ... how did you know this is 5th Ave? I don't see any markers ... it certainly could support 12 across in a parade though! ... Is the unique lamp post a giveaway?

Edited by ajlisko

is this possibly the Lakeland Goldenaires of Pompton Lakes, NJ? Brian, you have any other pics of them?

There is a 1966 photo of the Lakeland Goldenaires in volume one of the DCW drum corps history book, but it only shows the color guard.

The plumes they're wearing are single color. I would think that the corps proper and color guard would have the same plumes??