2014 East Coast Classic, Lawrence, MA

As background, two friends and I fueled up the RV (boy, was THAT fun...) and deadheaded from Maine down to Chambersburg, PA last week. After watching that show, we more or less followed Boston over to the Jackson, NJ show and then up to Lawrence, MA for the ECC. This is a review of that third show, but I am drawing from observations I made from the other two as well.

7th Regiment: This was their first show weekend, but the corps presented a more polished program than I expected. The horn line is heavy on body visuals, which seem well integrated into the audio. Of note was one section of the show where they had various characterizations (involving the whole corps). These were performed well, and the Alexander Nevsky further solidifies 7th's reputation as a symphonic oriented ensemble. This year's guard is bigger, better, and frankly more talented than prior versions. The weapons in particular were strong, and the costuming is appropriate and colorful. Nice job, 7th. It seems to me you are ahead of last year's version of yourselves.

Spartans: Ok..so hear it is...JUST like their World Class friends, both of these New England based Open class corps are vastly improved over last year. Spartans are marching and playing better than they did 12 months ago. The Greek god theme is well presented, and the large Trident which appears on side one is really cool. The guard interplay section to section is well coordinated, and the whole corps moves well. As a visual designer, I think I prefer 7th's design (just a matter of personal preference) but both corps are performing well this year. I will say that the past difference in both design and performance of these two guards is beginning to evaporate. BOTH of these corps have strong guards, and both groups march well.

Spirit of Atlanta: This corps is vastly improved over just the three nights that I saw them.The corps makes you feel like you should be sitting on a bench on the front porch sipping a mint julep with a big ol' dog parked at your feet on a summer evening. The guard costuming (a sort of green pastel) is soothing. I still have issues with those funky upside down triangular silks. The colors are great, but at times the shape of the silks gives the appearance that the guard is dirty, when they are not. The brass line plays well and is a great listen. Visual performance is an area of great growth potential for Spirit, and given the fact that this particular design is well within their strike zone, this show should be looking great in the very near future.

Bluecoats: PRAISE THE BABY JESUS that Bloo has axed that horrible toe-first marching technique from the last couple of seasons and rejoined the community of modern drum corps. They are playing great and (finally) marching great. They were the recipient of a thunderous standing ovation, and frankly got more audience reaction from the HUGE Boston area crowd than Crown and Cadets combined. Their show is very fan friendly, and some of the sound effects and accompanying visuals are great. They work the "Tilt" theme relentlessly, and are a pleasure to watch. My only complaint is with the guard. They are so non-descript that I don't even notice them. They are certainly competent, but either their book is so understated or due to the fact they have to spend so much of their time moving the ramps around, they just blend in like the butler in the back of a banquet room. One final thought...tonight there was a snare drummer without a drum or sticks. I assume perhaps an injury...in any case, I want to give this dude credit. He marched his show flawlessly, and nailed every single body movement and visual. Good for him, and I hope he can get back on a drum soon. Btw, Bluecoats battery moves as well if not even better than their hornline. I know I'm going to hear it, but this corps is better than Crown.

Cadets: Ok..let's get this out of the way right now...Cadets are the best drum corps in DCI right now (exc BD & SCV only because I haven't seen them). They are almost surgical in how they play and march. They remind me of the really egotistcal surgeon who everyone claims to hate but he's the first one they call when a loved one needs a life saving procedure. Their drill is "Allentown" clean and although I'm not a huge Cadets (or certainly GH) fan, this show is quintessentail Cadets. The narration IS imo appropriate as are the presidential quotes. The recurring theme around the stands last night was, "They're awesome! But what the heck are they going to do for the NEXT 6 weeks?" Well we know, don't we" Cadets are the masters of the rewrite, which I'm sure they will do out of neccessity as the other teams get cleaner. One last thing..I know that they have intentions to utilize the "wall" more, but they should lower it a couple feet. It's current height DOES, in fact block the view for lower seat fans, particularly handicapped folks who are usually in wheel chairs at or only slightly above ground level. I know it's not a concern at big shows, but there are lot of smaller venues between now and then.

Carolina Crown: I am NOT one of those fans who say, "Back when I was alive....". However, they need to do more of what they did to become legitmate World Champions last year. Unleash that hornline, and get those great players off the trampolines and off instruments which are not their principle horns. You guys do NOT need these gimmicks! The trampolines, the hoops, the frisbees, the mufflers, the floor mats (which seem to be gradually leaving the galaxy on their own) are just things you don't need. One of the best visual moments in the show is a huge, curvilinear company front which pushes forward at a near perfect spacing. Please, let us have more of that of less of the Cirque Du Soliel! You WON last year and your only prop was a park bench..

Boston Crusaders: Talk about improvement in a week's time....make no mistake, this is still a work in progress, but it is getting better by the day. The countermotion in Part 1 is cleaner. The "BAC" set which materializes in 3 counts than races across the field @ 190 bpm is a great movement, and of course the now clean "G7" is Boston's 2014 version of a Dorchester smackdown. The vertical linears (yeah, we used to call 'em files) have much greater clarity now, and the bari visual during the "Old Mcdonald" soli is....well....a gas! Boston's massive battery of 9-5-5 moves better than any BAC line I can remember. The mellophone entrances in the ensemble are simutaneously clean and "BYFBO". (for folks under 40, google it) The guard still has growth potential on both the weapons catches and the body oriention under those catches, but with many of their throws being "sevens" and believe it or not, "EIGHTS", I think we can agree that as of June 29th, there is time to nail these. Boston is getting better at every show, and the "PIG" flag silks are great! The "Conquest from the Depths of HeII" really captures the dystopian theme, and my informants tell me that the next 3 non-travel days should bear major fruit down on the farm. Based on the improvement in this drum corps in just seven days, I think they will distinguish themselves when they next meet their friends from the midwest (Cavies, Madison, PR).

One final thought....while I don't have access to hard figures, the fact that the seats were jammed I would guess a crowd of 4000++. Nice job with show promotion, Inspire Arts & Music!

Edited by craiga
  • Like 8

I have to say it (and not just because you were positive about 7th, in whom I have a rooting interesfor t) this should be the prototype DCP reviews.

You don't suck up - you point out issues (I like that you emphasize past issues).

You praise the praiseworthy.

You find something interesting about each team and point it out.

You express your own opinions - the fact that they're not vicious or self-centered doesn't make them sugar coated.

I won't go on, but I hope that would-be reviewers read and consider your report.

You don't have to point out how insightful you are by pointing out how much more you know than, well... everyone's staffs.

BTW - I particularly liked "You don't need gimmicks"

Oh and BYFBO too - I'm old enough - in fact they used to be MFB they were BO.

Nice... I give it a 9.6 it had a good beat and I can dance to it.

• Like 3

Oh, and I like Big W's reviews too, but at my age I'm afraid to start one... might not be around long enough to finish...

:)

This review

• Like 1

Great review. Crown did have a little more than just a park bench last year: don't forget the wormholes.

As background, two friends and I fueled up the RV (boy, was THAT fun...) and deadheaded from Maine down to Chambersburg, PA last week. After watching that show, we more or less followed Boston over to the Jackson, NJ show and then up to Lawrence, MA for the ECC. This is a review of that third show, but I am drawing from observations I made from the other two as well.

7th Regiment: This was their first show weekend, but the corps presented a more polished program than I expected. The horn line is heavy on body visuals, which seem well integrated into the audio. Of note was one section of the show where they had various characterizations (involving the whole corps). These were performed well, and the Alexander Nevsky further solidifies 7th's reputation as a symphonic oriented ensemble. This year's guard is bigger, better, and frankly more talented than prior versions. The weapons in particular were strong, and the costuming is appropriate and colorful. Nice job, 7th. It seems to me you are ahead of last year's version of yourselves.

Spartans: Ok..so hear it is...JUST like their World Class friends, both of these New England based Open class corps are vastly improved over last year. Spartans are marching and playing better than they did 12 months ago. The Greek god theme is well presented, and the large Trident which appears on side one is really cool. The guard interplay section to section is well coordinated, and the whole corps moves well. As a visual designer, I think I prefer 7th's design (just a matter of personal preference) but both corps are performing well this year. I will say that the past difference in both design and performance of these two guards is beginning to evaporate. BOTH of these corps have strong guards, and both groups march well.

Spirit of Atlanta: This corps is vastly improved over just the three nights that I saw them.The corps makes you feel like you should be sitting on a bench on the front porch sipping a mint julep with a big ol' dog parked at your feet on a summer evening. The guard costuming (a sort of green pastel) is soothing. I still have issues with those funky upside down triangular silks. The colors are great, but at times the shape of the silks gives the appearance that the guard is dirty, when they are not. The brass line plays well and is a great listen. Visual performance is an area of great growth potential for Spirit, and given the fact that this particular design is well within their strike zone, this show should be looking great in the very near future.

Bluecoats: PRAISE THE BABY JESUS that Bloo has axed that horrible toe-first marching technique from the last couple of seasons and rejoined the community of modern drum corps. They are playing great and (finally) marching great. They were the recipient of a thunderous standing ovation, and frankly got more audience reaction from the HUGE Boston area crowd than Crown and Cadets combined. Their show is very fan friendly, and some of the sound effects and accompanying visuals are great. They work the "Tilt" theme relentlessly, and are a pleasure to watch. My only complaint is with the guard. They are so non-descript that I don't even notice them. They are certainly competent, but either their book is so understated or due to the fact they have to spend so much of their time moving the ramps around, they just blend in like the butler in the back of a banquet room. One final thought...tonight there was a snare drummer without a drum or sticks. I assume perhaps an injury...in any case, I want to give this dude credit. He marched his show flawlessly, and nailed every single body movement and visual. Good for him, and I hope he can get back on a drum soon. Btw, Bluecoats battery moves as well if not even better than their hornline. I know I'm going to hear it, but this corps is better than Crown.

Cadets: Ok..let's get this out of the way right now...Cadets are the best drum corps in DCI right now (exc BD & SCV only because I haven't seen them). They are almost surgical in how they play and march. They remind me of the really egotistcal surgeon who everyone claims to hate but he's the first one they call when a loved one needs a life saving procedure. Their drill is "Allentown" clean and although I'm not a huge Cadets (or certainly GH) fan, this show is quintessentail Cadets. The narration IS imo appropriate as are the presidential quotes. The recurring theme around the stands last night was, "They're awesome! But what the heck are they going to do for the NEXT 6 weeks?" Well we know, don't we" Cadets are the masters of the rewrite, which I'm sure they will do out of neccessity as the other teams get cleaner. One last thing..I know that they have intentions to utilize the "wall" more, but they should lower it a couple feet. It's current height DOES, in fact block the view for lower seat fans, particularly handicapped folks who are usually in wheel chairs at or only slightly above ground level. I know it's not a concern at big shows, but there are lot of smaller venues between now and then.

Carolina Crown: I am NOT one of those fans who say, "Back when I was alive....". However, they need to do more of what they did to become legitmate World Champions last year. Unleash that hornline, and get those great players off the trampolines and off instruments which are not their principle horns. You guys do NOT need these gimmicks! The trampolines, the hoops, the frisbees, the mufflers, the floor mats (which seem to be gradually leaving the galaxy on their own) are just things you don't need. One of the best visual moments in the show is a huge, curvilinear company front which pushes forward at a near perfect spacing. Please, let us have more of that of less of the Cirque Du Soliel! You WON last year and your only prop was a park bench..

Boston Crusaders: Talk about improvement in a week's time....make no mistake, this is still a work in progress, but it is getting better by the day. The countermotion in Part 1 is cleaner. The "BAC" set which materializes in 3 counts than races across the field @ 190 bpm is a great movement, and of course the now clean "G7" is Boston's 2014 version of a Dorchester smackdown. The vertical linears (yeah, we used to call 'em files) have much greater clarity now, and the bari visual during the "Old Mcdonald" soli is....well....a gas! Boston's massive battery of 9-5-5 moves better than any BAC line I can remember. The mellophone entrances in the ensemble are simutaneously clean and "BYFBO". (for folks under 40, google it) The guard still has growth potential on both the weapons catches and the body oriention under those catches, but with many of their throws being "sevens" and believe it or not, "EIGHTS", I think we can agree that as of June 29th, there is time to nail these. Boston is getting better at every show, and the "PIG" flag silks are great! The "Conquest from the Depths of HeII" really captures the dystopian theme, and my informants tell me that the next 3 non-travel days should bear major fruit down on the farm. Based on the improvement in this drum corps in just seven days, I think they will distinguish themselves when they next meet their friends from the midwest (Cavies, Madison, PR).

One final thought....while I don't have access to hard figures, the fact that the seats were jammed I would guess a crowd of 4000++. Nice job with show promotion, Inspire Arts & Music!

Well put man. IAM has done a great job in such a short time in New England. All shows have been packed (VT, Maine and Mass). Nothing but good responses on how hard the kids work and how great every thing is managed. IMO I would guess going forward it's going to be easer to perfect the desirable elements and characteristics into a demanding show then to add demand to a show with so with many props spread around the field.

Edited by emc2

I have a feeling Spirit's guard will be their achilles heel once again this summer. The guard design is just not where it should be.

I'm loving Boston - I hope that they continue to explore this genre - it has something really new and exciting to it - doesn't matter how dirty it is right now - it's mesmerizing.

Bluecoats -this show is insanely good. I even think the guard contribution has become much stronger - really looking forward to seeing this show live!

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Nice review... I was at the show with others, and these assessments and observations from Craiga were about the same as mine.

Not sure the Bluecoats can win it all this year, but Holy Knights of Coumbus, what a show from them this year !

Great review! Thank you!

A fantastic review, and that trip in the RV sounds like you and your buddies had a blast! Some of the best times in my life were when I was younger and would hop in the car with 2 or 3 buddies, take off for 2 or 3 days, and catch 2 or 3 shows. It was a great way to see the country, take in some drum corps, and to talk "shop" with drum corps enthusiasts.

This was a fun read.

• Like 1