Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

Are state governments actually concerned for their religious freedom, or are they just homophobic?

Goes both ways.

Lucas Oil Stadium is owned by the State of Indiana. DCI has negotiated a favorable contract for itself to lease those facilities with the State of Indiana's approval. Considering the demographics of DCI are not a secret, it seems to me that a state wishing to enforce a culture of homophobia would deny any request for favorable lease terms.

The very fact that Indiana is a hotbed of music activities, works hard to promote musical activities and events, and has attracted several nationally-recognized musical groups to locate there shows defacto proof that they are not acting on any, supposed, homophobic inclinations.

Without proof that marching members, corps, or fans have experienced ANY negative affects of such laws or "religious beliefs" from ANY public or private organization or company, DCI should ignore the clamoring to take any stand on any grounds and, instead, do its duty to get the best financial deal it can for its member corps.

• Like 2

I'd be curious how many people involved during the touring season actually attend weekly religious service for their faith.

Would only be apt if, at the same time, we could discover how many people involved during the touring season engage in LGBT activity, wouldn't it?

Box 7 ministries' prayer groups are active in a number of corps. Pioneer builds time into the Sunday schedule for religious services for those who wish. Cadets, Santa Clara, and Star of Indiana all had religious chaplains at some point of their DCI days; often the Masses were open to those of other corps as well. Many corps observe a more less-frenzied Sunday schedule to allow members to renew and refresh, one of the aspects of a Sabbath observance.

According to the Catholic priests at St. John's Church in Indianapolis and across the street from Lucas Oil by a block, their church is packed when BOA and DCI have shows.

I doubt if there would be any scientifically accurate measure of religious observance during tour whether Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Mormon, Hindu or personal creed no matter what the metric.

Yes, drum corps is no longer the days of CYO corps who brought everyone to Church. But because it's not the old way doesn't mean no practice is observed.

Many MMs on tour seem to pack a Bible and/or devotional in their luggage. How often it may be used is usually a private, personal matter.

• Like 2

They keep getting closed as will this one. Thank goodness for fark.com.

I'm confident that the mods will leave the discussion open if it focuses on how this potential law-enactment affects DCI. So far, I've seen no evidence that it does affect DCI.

Would only be apt if, at the same time, we could discover how many people involved during the touring season engage in LGBT activity, wouldn't it?

That would probably lead to a pandora's box situation. Might be tough to have someone come forward and mention what they observed.