Louisiana Stars

This corps is the real deal. I too saw them in Muscatine and took the time to talk with the director and a couple of the brass staff.

Firstly, let me say I've not seen a debut (of a lower division corps) like this since Academie Musicale. THEY WERE JAW DROPPINGLY GOOD FOR THEIR FIRST EVER COMPETITION. Were they to compete, there is no doubt in my mind they would place 8-10th in Open Class finals this year.

Info I gleaned in conversation:

They recruited by simply announcing their intent to form a corps on facebook. Members hail from LA, MS, AR, and TX. They have minimal sponsorship from a few local businesses in Lafayette. The director, Mr. Nick Simon, is about the only administrator. They have had great support from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The horns and battery percussion are being borrowed from the Rajin Cajun marching band. They have the Cajun's old uniforms and get to rehearse using the University's facilities. All the visual staff are ex-BD - for the rest of staff follow this link http://louisianastars.org/staff-2/ The short, four show, itinerary was what DCI recommended and would allow - a good idea IMHO as no one on staff has taken a corps on the road before (if I am to believe what I was told).

I urge you to support this corps. They appear to be doing all the right things at the right pace. According to Nick, T-shirts will be available at the July 21 Lafayette show and then online.

I have to agree!!!! I wasn't sure what I was gonna get from them, didn't even know this was their first show ever until I was sitting in the stands. Saw them come out and thought, wow, they are pretty dang big. cool!

The that first big note i was like WHAAAAAAAAATTTT!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? Holy #### these guys are sick!!!! Hell yes!!! Are you kidding me here!?!?!? drum line was tight and snappy, horns were loud and clean they were brash in their attitude...like they had nothing to lose. Alot of bigger wolrd class Corps would learn a thing or two from watching them. I was jumping up yelling when they were done...total OLD school feel to them. the music they played was highly recognizable, toe tapping head bobbing fun!! It was hard to focus on the next two corps honestly. I saw there members in the stands and went up to them in between shows and said they were ###### in front of everyone, they loved it! Talked to the staff afterwards and definetly will be supporting this Corps. wow!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

HOLY TOLEDO

This is amazing. Just amazing. This corps is gonna be serious stuff in the coming years. I remember reading their staff list and being impressed by the sort of people they had on it. I'm vey pleased to see that they have turned out so incredibly well. Best of luck to them in the future! I cannot wait to see how they do in competition.

• 10 months later...

I have a problem and I'm not sure whether it is with the Louisiana Stars or DCI. I am hoping that it is DCI

I heard that 3 of the locations of the 5 this season for the Louisiana Stars are in Southern California. I have heard good things about this corps and thought that if they could travel half way across the country I could at least drive 2.5 hours to see them in Bakersfield, CA. When I look at their web page it shows their tour schedule as:

2015 Tour

We will depart for tour on approx. July 5 and conclude on July 20.

at the Lafayette DCI Show at Cajunfield. (What a fitting ending…..our home show!!)

July 10 - Bakersfield Ca - "TBA"

July 11 - Vista Ca - "Gold Showcase at the Ranch"

July 12 - Cerritos Ca - So Cal Classic Open Class Championship"

July 18 - San Antonio Tx - "DCI Southwest Regional Championships"

July 20 - Lafayette La - "Drums Across Cajun Field"

However, when I look at the DCI schedule for the corps it shows:

July 11 - Minneapolis, MN
July 12 - Muscatine, IA
July 14 - Great Bend, KS
sJuly 18 - San Antonio, TX
.July 20 - Lafayette, LA

Please tell me that DCI is wrong yet again.

Looks like DCI's schedule was the more current version, as the Stars' website now shows them going north rather than west this year.

They were beyond impressive last year in their debut, probably my favorite new corps first season I can think of in the modern era. Had they gone to Championships I think they could have pushed the top 25. Incredibly excited to see how this new group progresses!