DCA 50 years ago today (well almost)

>>

Unless it takes a wicked super-long time to post the scores... like 5 decades.

Could happen...

<<

Speaking of 5 decades ago, which this thread is all about, I've been doing some DCA trivia research and need some clarification on something ... here's and interesting fact: the seven DCA Charter Members (Sky, Hurcs, YR, Archie, Reading, I-Men, Rockets) never appeared all together in the same show ... the closest was on Aug 8, 1964 when six of the seven were at Reading's show, but the Bucs were only in exhibition ... interestingly, corpsreps.com has the I-men there, but both the DCA archives and fromthepressbox don't ... I went back and read the 1964 DCN article on the show and the I-Men were not in the show ... no mention ... no score ... nada ... then, at the 1965 Championship (DCA's first), Archie didn't compete again leaving only six of the seven on the same field ... maybe Northern Thunder can comment a little on this ...

:-)

Continuing on with scores for the 1964 season, here's what went on this coming weekend 50 years ago:

Saturday July 18, 1964

Hershey PA

14th Annual Hershey Invitational STADIUM: Hershey Stadium

Position Corps Score

1 New York Skyliners 79.333

2 Reading Buccaneers 79.300

3 Yankee Rebels 78.683

4 Interstatesmen 78.200

5 Pittsburgh Rockets 75.033

Edited by ajlisko

Jeff, you dad is correct. It was standard in both juniors and seniors for the host corps to NOT compete. They'd often go through a judged exhibition, without their score being announced.

Right, not sure if it was a DCA rule or just not done. Judged exhibiton was allowed but not competing against the other corps.

Now if you "sold" your show to say.... the Lions Club then the corps got credit for having a DCA show (had to have a show to be a DCA member) and could compete. Well least that's what Westshore did in the 80s/90s.

not the late 80's/90's.

Jeff, you dad is correct. It was standard in both juniors and seniors for the host corps to NOT compete. They'd often go through a judged exhibition, without their score being announced.

the old guy still does have some working brain cells!

A little more DCA trivia from the 1964 season ...

Only two corps won DCA sanctioned shows that year: Sky won 9 shows and the Hurcs won 4, including the 64 WO, considered by many that year to be the "unofficial" DCA Championship as five of the seven charter members competed (Sky, Hurcs, Reading, Archie and the I-Men) ... surprise corps of the night was the Sunrisers as they bested Reading by a full 2 pts ... why they didn't sign up for full membership in 65 is a mystery to me ...

WOW ... 50 years ago ... I feel like Walter Cronkite on "YOU ARE THERE" ...

Hey AJ what where the scores from the 65 World open ?You mention Sunrisers besting Reading by 2 points but no listing of all the scores ?

It was the 64 WO ... there was no Sr competition in 65:

Sunday August 30, 1964 Bridgeport CT World Open Senior Finals STADIUM: Hedges Stadium

Position Corps Score

1 Connecticut Hurricanes 84.433

2 New York Skyliners 84.350

3 Interstatesmen 80.850

4 Sunrisers 80.583

5 Reading Buccaneers 78.483

6 Springfield Marksmen 77.233

7 Archer-Epler Musketeers 76.300

8 Les Diplomates 71.716

9 Connecticut Yankees 70.266

10 New Bedford Whalers 66.333

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Thanks AJ ,few names on that list of corps i really enjoyed Marksmen .Conn.Yankee's .and Les Diplomates loved the closer not sure of the year Brigde over Troubled Waters ,where they hooked ribbons to the top of the flag poles to look like a brigde going off the field .

AJ have a great time tonight playing Walter Cronkite ,bet you do a bang up job tonight ,might lead to other invites .Hey Fran watch out for this guy .LOL all in fun i'm sure you both know it . :cool: