You mentioned the Renegades, they'll come up in this eventually in the conclusion as well as Chumley. A lot of things get thrown at me lately and I need to have time to just sit and get the Cabs, Cabs Alumni, and the conclusion done. Lumber on the South bridge, had to replace the rear tires about 3 months early, work is crazy, etc.

Thrilled Kris is doing better!

Edited by BigW

The final competitor were the Cabs (3DM, 13 FE/too many people to count the rest!!!) with their "Entrapment" program.

I realized as I listened to the pre-show recording from the statements that the show was more than just the Cabs becoming entrapped. On face value or at a shallower level the show can be only that, but it has deeper connotations.

It's not about the Cabs themselves becoming entrapped, it's about the Cabs entrapping *you*.

I figured, "Okay. That's a bold statement and a neat concept, but is it just words, and all talk, or will they pull this off? I'm a pretty jaded guy. We'll find out of they can make this happen. Entrap me, huh? Riiight...." :satisfied:

I looked at my notes, and one thing keeps recurring about the program visually. Doing a comparative time study of movements and clocking beats per minute speed like an Industrial Engineer would isn't a fair and total assessment (though there are up-tempo elements that appear fast enough to suit me (my guess is 180+)). It's about the set-up, how the Cabs stage and set up the moments of impact that make the Cabs' visual package solid and effective.

The Front Ensemble, the Tubas, and Frank Ponzo set the table for the opening high-energy sequence.

The first impact was set up perfectly and really took the crowd. Ponzo just caps it with exactly the right note out of nowhere, and it was as if everyone was backhanded on the cheek and it left a mark. I'm thinking, "DEAR GOD, PONZO!" (from my notes!) and the crowd around me were all saying... "Whooooooooa!!!" out loud in response. You have to really do something pretty special to get that kind of a reaction from a NE corps crowd. Yeah- they can be a very tough sell, but when you do something special- they do give it up for you.

The brass ensemble's very exceptional. Not only are they projecting power, they sound like the Cabs should. It's a different sound then the Bucs or MBI, but there's this ridiculously roarin' low brass section that's just pushing from below that gives them a really rich, deep, yet sparking sound when they open up. Not a cookie-cutter sound at all.

Also, they're very, very musical and nuanced. It's not just all decibels and beating on people for the entire program. Not at all!. They know when to pull back, get the crowd leaning forward, wanting to know what will happen and then, they lunge in and strike and grab you.

There's a lot of appealing pieces to this show- the footwork, the switch to the samba style, the Tuba and Lower Brass features, the way Frank's used and the way they subtly move him around, the really beautifully played Mello solo, the explosiveness of the brass, the way the battery has appeared to have stepped up its game from last year- a lot of things that were just evident in the viewing of the show.

I also appreciate that since 2012, Key Poulan's really began to understand the Psyche of the Cabs and written programs that 'get' it. Every year's been a steady improvement in that aspect. I was worried about the original book when I heard about it, but it's very accessible, appealing, and exciting.

The pieces are all there and work together with a lot of synergy. This program's design is enough to take it all the way.

Oh, and yeah, I did end up entrapped and tossed in the cage with the rest of the audience. I know the audience wasn't all Cabs homers. They sold the program to a pretty wide bunch of ages and backgrounds. They really do achieve their stated goal and entrap the audience. More on that later.

The Cabs Alumni finished the night's festivities with a quality performance.I really enjoy 'Echano' this year. Great lead in from the percussion feature, a very pretty flugel solo, great lead in from the Contras, the sexy groove, the smokin' ending, it's got all the ingredients that you want from the Cabs.

"Lucy", "Cuban Pete", "Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco" (listening to the original Perez Prado chart as I type, a real gas!), all fun, all very enjoyable, good for the soul.

I really enjoy the sublime old-school moments at the end of the program- main guard comes out, wheels, company front sets up, Bam! American Flag comes up, snappy Drum Major salute , front comes forward, the small details in it make it all work, make for fine pageantry and tradition.

It's a guy thing, I guess. The more I see the Alumni, they remind me of a favorite pair of shoes, a favorite hat or shirt. You want to wear it because it just makes you feel great. You smile when you put it on. I get that same feeling when I watch them. They just make you feel good inside, that everything's great. You can't beat that feeling.

Next, Fistbumps and conclusions. 6AM. Way past my bedtime. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 2

I like the fact you caught the Road Warrior one. :thumbup:

well that you referenced Matawan scared me. I dodn't want to disrespect any of the natives who may be employed in waste management

well that you referenced Matawan scared me. I dodn't want to disrespect any of the natives who may be employed in waste management

Or since Tatooine is nearby, employed in moisture farming, raiding, and Jawa diplomacy. :laugh:

Time for

fistbump.png

The bari soloist for Bush. WELL DONE.

The small brass ensemble for Fusion near the end of the program. KEEP IT GOING. IT CAN BE A REALLY GREAT MOMENT.

The 4 mid and low brass at C2 who are digging in and PLAYING. You may have to drag the rest of your sections kicking and screaming into the Promised Land of characteristic brass timbre and big tone quality. Keep leading by example.

Bucs Guard: They're out there pushing hard. They give it everything. All respect.

Bucs Tubas: A REAL pedal tone in the show. Not some kind of sound someone makes from eating way too many pinto beans. WOW!

The Tymp player at CV. This guy is another arrow ready to be shot from the bow. Cool, confident, and has his act together. He loves what he does. It's infectious.

The Mello soloist at CV. YEAH!

The Mello soloist at Cabs. Man. Makes me think of Barb Maroney in every great way. Really beautiful sound. WELL DONE!

The fellow on rifle at the end of the Cabs' program who chucks the quad or the five at the end and just has this "Heck, yeah!" look on his face when he catches. It really helps to get the crowd involved and gives a good zen to that moment.

The Flugel-man at Cabs Alumni. Great person, also a really, really fine musical moment for the program.

Conclusions:

I have a feeling some folks will be left thinking that one of the next two statements is correct, but how more wrong I could be about the other. And, that will vary by the reader. :satisfied: It's okay. I feel the need to make some people think after reading some of the threads here.
I know and respect a lot of folks in both Cabs and Bucs, I have no 'dog in the fight'. Though, I think some people think I should put on the black Aussie or the Sombrero at one time or another. :satisfied:

First, The Bucs show this year is a lot more exciting than some folks would like to tell you it is. There is one overriding thing that needs to be done, in my considered opinion with it, but I get ahead of myself. I feel people like to stereotype them and I've been saying this for years. This show is quite fun to watch, if you open up your head.

Second- the Cabs are a lot more intellectual and deeper than some people have been stereotyping them on DCP as. A LOT more. there's a lot going on in that program musically and visually, if you open up your head.

There's one thing I don't think anyone's quite touched upon on DCP, and if you have, I apologize for not finding your comments. Folks have been talking a lot about quality, cleaning, etc. I view this as kind of a dead heat right now. The staffs at Cabs and Bucs are both extremely capable. For that matter, I haven't seen any chuckleheads on any of the DCA staffs for some time now. Both corps are motivated, they know what's at stake, they'll keep their heads on straight and stay focused. No one in either corps will allow drama to step in and mess up the zen.

That being said, there's one overriding thing to me that's happening that's creating separation. I think that finally, the communication numbers are starting to make a real difference. How? Why?

In short, the Cabs performers understand exactly what is necessary in how to break the fourth wall to the audience, and engage them and get their narrative across, to tell their story, grab everyone and toss them into their well-conceived trap.

Reading has half of this equation in their show figured out. Let me explain. Keep in mind that the top DCA corps right now desire to stretch and challenge their staff and members, explore more creative ideas, try and venture out of what could be a comfort zone for those corps. It's a cornerstone of the Bucs' philosophy. I've heard this from many of the people involved, they really believe it and do make every effort to push the envelope with new ideas and concepts. Could the Bucs be Romans? Oh, yeah! Could they be Olympians? Easy-peasy! Can they project the personality of the Shostakovich material? Pff. With serious orchestral material, they can do that with both hands tied behind their backs.

As of the Grand Prix, and looking at the Secaucus numbers as well, it's when they step into the realm of the Doors that they feel uncomfortable. The Doors, as was Shostakovitch, were musical geniuses, but the Doors, especially Jim Morrison, represented a kind of Wild-Child-Gypsy-Counterculture vibe. The show has those elements where sections of the corps and at time the entire ensemble needs to flip a mental switch and project that Wild-Child Counterculture zen to the performance and to the audience. The Bucs have to find their inner wild-child. Heck, the Renegades were entirely all about that Wild-Child persona. The Bucs have someone around who knows all about that. He might be able to help. :satisfied: When Westshore was good, we had some of it, personified by guys like Chumley, Ricky Lee, Hair-Bear, Sandy...

Right now, the Bucs need to know when to be that serious Fish giving the Cat in the Hat heck and when to be Thing 1 and Thing 2 tearing up the house. If they can find that switch and flip it at the right times, all bets are off. This becomes a scarily close contest for both organizations. I'll be looking for some of that crazy at Downingtown. Break on through the Fourth Wall, man. :satisfied:

The other issue is this really big elephant that wears a Viking helmet and has a big "MBI" blanket on its back that's been standing around very quietly and politely in the room while everyone else performs. This very polite and friendly elephant is waiting for a bit before they pick up the horn and blow some tunes. :satisfied:

I had a very loose rule of thumb with the DCI numbers that they tended to be about 2-2.5 points low. Right now, that rule of thumb appears to be absolutely unusable. The one thing no one's has really discussed is this:

I'd *think* MBI is getting *very* good feedback and critique from the DCI panels. Might that be worth getting low-ball numbers for the valuable input? :cool:

Some say this pachyderm can march at 218 beats a minute. Sounds impressive, that's one FAST elephant- but that in and of itself doesn't mean that the Elephant wins. :sly:

Hopefully we can get a good Mid-Western review and get some kind of clue from "out the way". More than. "The brats were great, the Leinenkugel was cold, and yeah, everyone sounded FANTASTIC from the lot outside the stadium!" :laugh:

See you in Downingtown. We'll find out of the Bucs can get some Mojo Risin' or not. We'll see how ready and eager the White Sabres are. We'll find out if Bush can build up some more momentum. It'll be a good day, and I hope to see you there! :thumbup:

Bucs Tubas: A REAL pedal tone in the show. Not some kind of sound someone makes from eating way too many pinto beans. WOW!

A-ha! After seeing the DCA FN video, I kept meaning to ask if I was actually hearing a pedal tone there. Thanks for mentioning that.

Or since Tatooine is nearby, employed in moisture farming, raiding, and Jawa diplomacy. :laugh:

leave Mos Eisley out of this. Anchorhead too