Schedule for Atlanta

Great draws for SCV, BK, and Bloo. Not so much for Troop and OC.

How crucial is the draw really? Anybody got a set of numbers to tell this story, like how a bad draw affects score long term? It certainly affects who is sitting in the stands at a given show. Oregon got the end of the first block in Atlanta and many people won't even be there yet. Yet they scored only 1.3 pts below Colts in SA - and are looking to close in. Was Colts score low because of where they were seeded in SA? OC is now seeded several corps below Colts just because of the luck of the draw.

Drum corps! (hands thrown in air)

Way too much made over position in a draw.

Well...just a few days ago the Colts were within a point of Crossmen. In San Antonio they were 4+ points behind them.

I hope their score doesn't drop even more by the time they get to Atlanta!

Obviously, BD would still be at the top in their scoring range of other corps even if they went on first.

Well...just a few days ago the Colts were within a point of Crossmen. In San Antonio they were 4+ points behind them.

Yikes! Now you're scaring me.

I hope their score doesn't drop even more by the time they get to Atlanta!

Obviously, BD would still be at the top in their scoring range of other corps even if they went on first.

But was that really because of the the draws either of those corps received? Score drops and jumps are sort of the nature of regionals. I understand you are upset that the Colts dropped but when you start adding corps the point spreads tend to change. It's always been that way. I can remember when I marched in Crossmen in 98 we dropped 5 points in three days when we headed into Drums Along the Rockies(which at the time was a regional). I understand how it can be a bit of a shock, but this is nothing new unfortunately. The Colts have a good chance at rebounding from this. There is still time to jump ahead from this show. It's really up to the members of the Colts at this point. This is the time of the season where members tend to get exhausted and discouraged. The next three weeks are the absolutely most important in the season. They are also the hardest!

• Like 1

But was that really because of the the draws either of those corps received? Score drops and jumps are sort of the nature of regionals. I understand you are upset that the Colts dropped but when you start adding corps the point spreads tend to change.

I understand scores change, but when you see every other corps from that show last week increase their score in San Antonio and the Colts decrease by 2+ points....guess I'm just looking for an excuse when it was apparently just the wrong day to have a bad performance.

I will be very interested to see how the scores change during this week and then in Atlanta.

Way too much made over position in a draw. Anyone doubt that BD could go on first in Atlanta and not come out on top?

They could, they could also get third because there's no direct comparison yet and the judges would know there would be hell to pay if they gave out the top scores with the first show. There is an unofficial score ceiling that rises as the day goes on because room has to be saved for the other performances. If you are rooting for your corps to do well then it doesn't hurt to wish for every single advantage possible.

In truth, there are only three "real" spots that matter right now: 3rd, 12th, and 15th. 3rd place puts you in the top pod in the fight for the championship, 12th puts you in a better pod than those trying to take your place, and 15th helps you to make the theater broadcast. Not being in those spots at this very moment hurts your seeding for Prelims. After one week it will take a miracle for Troop to pull ahead of Xmen, SCV/Crown to pull ahead of Blooo, or for OC/Academy to make the theater broadcast. Going on in the "worst" spot may not hurt, but it sure doesn't help.

Performance order matters.

In the meantime read the tea leaves as you wish. I'd love it for Troop and Xmen to go on after each other, but instead I'm going to cling to the rationalization that Troop will get a boost from the jump in quality from their draw and Xmen will have their score depressed because they are going on after Blue Stars :ninja: