Can Bluecoats win gold?

Hilarious troll thread for BD/Cadets supporters. :silly:

• Like 2

I agree with zigzig here. BC has a lot of neat things going on in the show, but music is not one of them. The musicians seem to serve the visual and the effects at the expense of a coherent musical program. This is the reason I don't find BC's total package as compelling as BD, SCV and Cavies. Mind you, I am very musically-oriented, and in general, I don't care as much for fancy visuals as I do for the lyricism of a show.

Have you listened to the source material for the show? You can't go in and expect the same lyricism in experimental electronic music as you would in a ballet and concert band piece. The Ballad is incredibly lyrical and stays true to the original. The short motifs throughout the rest of the show are also true to the style of the original sources. I think maybe you don't appreciate the musical intent for what it is (not your taste) but it does exemplify what the show was designed to be from the beginning, a motif driven show.

Edited by charlie1223

In general, this show is about props and the 'tilt' concept, rather than music or drill.

"Tilt" is about how much DCI has leaned towards WGI, and how WGI judges score body movement as highly as demanding drill. In my book, difficulty should count for something.

I see more content and demand - even, surprisingly simultaneous marching/playing demand a for a few features - from BD, Crown and Cadets.

As much as I'd like to see a first-time champion this year, I'm skeptical that there is enough 'there' there in Tilt to beat the others in the top 4.

So, devil's advocacy over. How am I wrong?

As others have suggested, this is inconsistent. You are saying DCI has leaned toward WGI and away from basic performance excellence, and also that this show won't win because it lacks the performance skills (that's the same DCI that's judging them, right :tounge2: ).

Edited by Pete Freedman

As others have suggested, this is inconsistent. You are saying DCI has leaned toward WGI and away from basic performance excellence, and also that this show won't win because it lacks the performance skills (that's the same DCI that's judging them, right :tounge2: ).

Seems to be a lot of contradictions in the posts of all of Bloo's critics :satisfied:

Seems to be a lot of contradictions in the posts of all of Bloo's critics :satisfied:

Again - very similar to PR & Crown in their championship years.

Don't worry, the bandwagon will get loaded up in the end. (I believe so, anyway)

I'd love to see them take it - but frankly RIGHT NOW I don't see anyone topping BD except Cadets and I don't see anyone behind Cadets topping them. So IMO it's a race for 3rd unless things start changing quickly.

• Like 1

Good shows win. Not the most difficult. Crown's show last year wasn't arguably the MOST difficult, PR 1996 comes to mind as well... many of the cool Cavies shows from the early 2000s weren't arguably the MOST difficult...

The truth is that a show does need to have a championship level of rigor, and I would say that each year all contending shows do, and must... including this Coats program.

The issue of a championship title rests in the collective read of the show. A caption will be won by appropriate difficulty AND integration as a PART of the show (not one OR the other).

The practice of counting minutes of rest and balance of featured sections is a completely fruitless undertaking. You have to look at what a group IS doing to come up with an evaluation.

Remember that a lack of evidence is evidence of nothing. Appealing to a lack of one thing when there is something else worthy of evaluation is fallacious.

They could win gold... if it all connects with the judges on finals night. So could several other corps.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 3

Have you listened to the source material for the show? You can't go in and expect the same lyricism in experimental electronic music as you would in a ballet and concert band piece. The Ballad is incredibly lyrical and stays true to the original. The short motifs throughout the rest of the show are also true to the style of the original sources. I think maybe you don't appreciate the musical intent for what it is (not your taste) but it does exemplify what the show was designed to be from the beginning, a motif driven show.

You are absolutely correct in noting that my tastes interfere with my assessment of BC's show. Good thing I am not a judge. That said, I adore Aaron Copland, but I really do not like what Cadets have done with him this year, and I don't mean the narration. I think their arrangement and thematic deployment of the various Copland pieces is heavy-handed and a bit stultifying over the course of the show.

I have listened to BC's source material, and I admire them for exploring such works. The opening Braxton pieces remind me of Frank Zappa's more experimental stuff, albeit a little less crazed. I think BC did a great job capturing the essence of Uffe's Woodshop. But the piece itself is little more than syncopated dotted eighths played in polyrhythm. Neat, but not the music that I find moving or meaningful. Not the kind of music that sticks in my head.

I watched a video of Vienna Teng explaining the origins of "Hymn of Acxiom". She said she was noodling on the piano, and this pleasant melody came out. But she was unsatisfied, as she was not looking for just another pretty piano piece. So she added strange electronic vocalizations and lyrics. She felt these edgy editions juxtaposed with the pretty melody gave "Hymn" its essence. But of course, BC are playing just the pretty melody, and so the intent of the composer is not really relevant.

Overall, BC's show is thematically very coherent, and visually exciting. It is a great package, one of the best this year. But from a purely lyrical and musical effect point of reference, it seems a bit dry and shallow. Beyond the fireworks of the visuals and flurry of notes, the show does not have the emotional depth of BD, Cadets or SCV.

• Like 1

Honestly it's still anyone's game. Crown wasn't too for from Bloo last night and we don't know where SCV is in relation to those two just yet. Looks like a fight for 3rd this year.

True enough: really exciting season! Either way, I'm loving Bluecoats and it's exciting to even have conversation about legitimate chances of them winning!

• Like 2