My first live show in 2 decades-Atlanta, GA

I was in the military for a long time and I've been away from drum corps for years. This weekend will be my first live show in over 20 years...I've been bragging about it to my family so I hope it won't disappoint. I know there are many changes but I can't wait to see the World Class take the field.

So far I've enjoyed streaming performances but the big question is....Will I be surprised by what DCI live has to offer and will I enjoy it as much as I did 20 years ago?

I guess I'm about to find out!!!

Things to love just like 20 years ago:

• warmups in the lot (located on the far side of the Georgia World Congress Center)
  • incredibly demanding shows - picture everyone trying to merge Star's brass writing with Cadet's whiplash drills
  • amazing talent level - nothing new here but they've really upped the ante
  • chatting and catching up with other dino's in the stands
  • souvie stands - don't forget to support your favorite corps, some things never change (although if you're like me the shirt size has probably grown a bit)

Things to love different from 20 years ago:

• B-flat instruments
  • Non-bugle instruments - including some great trombone stuff this year
  • microphones on the brass soloists and pit - allowing for a lot more quality in musical tone when they aren't forced to try to project to the box

Stuff you'll miss from 20 years ago

• Full Retreat (now drum majors only)
  • Drum Corps uniforms - you'll see a few familiar uni's (Cadets, Cavaliers) but a lot of the uniforms will look alien
  • Guard equipment - lots of dancing now, and when they do pick up a rifle or flag you won't see a lot of unison work

Have a great time!

• Like 5

I was in the military for a long time and I've been away from drum corps for years. This weekend will be my first live show in over 20 years...I've been bragging about it to my family so I hope it won't disappoint. I know there are many changes but I can't wait to see the World Class take the field.

So far I've enjoyed streaming performances but the big question is....Will I be surprised by what DCI live has to offer and will I enjoy it as much as I did 20 years ago?

If you love "drum corps" more than you love "your past with drum corps" then you will love it.

• Like 3

If you have been enojying the streams you will most likely enjoy the live performances even more. The one item that might be strange is the dome. Not sure where your seats are but I would try like heck to get as close as possible to the 50. I love the big sound so I sit low in the center (15 - 20 rows up between 45's). So the boomy dome sound is not as offensive.

Have a great time!!!

I didn't see my first live show until 99, so you can take my words with a grain of salt. That said, here's how I would sum up this year and how it would compare to 20 years ago:

- Much more body movement from the hornline and battery ... a ridiculous amount from some groups. More characterizations too. You can make an argument that there's less "Wow" drill moments (as discussed on another thread), but I'm still always impressed by how much these performers run around.

- Not all amplified pits are created equally. Some groups have it figured out and use electronics masterfully (Bluecoats, BD). Others have balance issues and weird noises coming from the synth (Cavies ... though I really love the marimba army).

- Expanding on new stuff (Bb horns, amps and synthesizers, non-tradition brass, etc): corps are starting to figure out what works and what doesn't. These elements are used way more effectively today than 8-10 years ago (2005 was the worst learning curve year, IMO).

- Overall (I said this in another thread): I've seen 7 of the top 8 groups this year. I haven't had this much fun watching shows in a very long time. Yeah, there's some weird gimmicks that pop up, but there's also some great performances behind those gimmicks.

It will certainly be quieter than what you were used to. At least until the synthesizers kick in.

• Like 3

If you love nonstop gratuitous lunging and squatting for no apparent reason, you're in for a treat!

I LOL'd - Thanks! And lots of "bug squashing" as well.

• Like 2