My first live show in 2 decades-Atlanta, GA

If you love nonstop gratuitous lunging and squatting for no apparent reason, you're in for a treat!

Even my 9yo laughs at the squatting...

• Like 3

Even my 9yo laughs at the squatting...

The squatting may be the worst form of body movement out there. I have no idea why designers think having the corps look like they are taking a collective dump is effective in any way.

• Like 3

It will certainly be quieter than what you were used to. At least until the synthesizers kick in.

So my chest won't rattle and my ears won't ring for 2 days????

If you love nonstop gratuitous lunging and squatting for no apparent reason, you're in for a treat!

LOL!! And don't forget beckoning to the moon for no reason!!

• Like 2

Well, Nallop, live in an open-air stadium, the sound is worlds better than streaming and different from 20 years ago. It's less bright, loud, and in-your-face, but more symphonic/wind ensemble/brass band and better tuned and blended than 20 years ago.

In a dome, however, the sound can be an unpredictable hot mess, boomy and poorly focused (with worse echo than on the streams), overwhelmed by electronics/amps, depending where you're sitting. (The higher up or further out from midfield you are, the more problematic this can be.) You may be fine with the sound. You may hate it. Don't know if you ever heard drum corps indoors back before, but to be sure of getting the big shows in, in air conditioning, without rain (although the Georgia Dome had a "rain delay" not too long ago, LOL, due to a major leak during a downpour outside), the sound is the big compromise.

If you like dance, what others are calling body movement (despite the well-deserved swipe at lunging and bugsquashing, which is seen more in moving horn and drumlines than in the guard) is much better than back when you last saw it. Twenty years ago, guards tried to dance but didn't do it nearly as well as they do today. One can see that guard members come to drum corps now with extensive prior experience in ballet and jazz, because they can't teach what guard members do now only in the summer. However the precision and snap is not as good, so if you prefer military color guard style, you may not welcome this change--but you've already seen that on the streams.

I agree that the demand and skill levels in all sections are significantly higher than 20 years ago. The visceral impact can be lower, but it's impressive.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone's compared decibel readings from back in the day and today. It's all pretty subjective. I sat low and on the 50 at two shows this year and my ears were ringing afterward.

I was in the military for a long time and I've been away from drum corps for years. This weekend will be my first live show in over 20 years...I've been bragging about it to my family so I hope it won't disappoint. I know there are many changes but I can't wait to see the World Class take the field.

So far I've enjoyed streaming performances but the big question is....Will I be surprised by what DCI live has to offer and will I enjoy it as much as I did 20 years ago?

I guess I'm about to find out!!!

I hope you write a review! I would love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1

My suggestion is: HAVE FUN!!!

The shows are all very different and many are "creative" in nature so if you don't like one show you'll probably love the next lol

• Like 2

No they most definitely will not. I was also in the military and overseas for most of 13 years. I came back to the states in 2005. My first DCI show was Houston in 2005 and I truly enjoyed myself. I was surprised to see that the pit was miked but it wasn't a big deal. Each year since I have progressively become less and less interested in DCI drum corps because of the all the changes. Electronics, synthesizers, prancing, dancing hornlines and drumlines, Miked soloists, and the idiotic need to tell some artsy fartsy story with every show have made me lose interest. Hope you enjoy your experience though.

Edited by SFZFAN

Well, Nallop, live in an open-air stadium, the sound is worlds better than streaming and different from 20 years ago. It's less bright, loud, and in-your-face, but more symphonic/wind ensemble/brass band and better tuned and blended than 20 years ago.

In a dome, however, the sound can be an unpredictable hot mess, boomy and poorly focused (with worse echo than on the streams), overwhelmed by electronics/amps, depending where you're sitting. (The higher up or further out from midfield you are, the more problematic this can be.) You may be fine with the sound. You may hate it. Don't know if you ever heard drum corps indoors back before, but to be sure of getting the big shows in, in air conditioning, without rain (although the Georgia Dome had a "rain delay" not too long ago, LOL, due to a major leak during a downpour outside), the sound is the big compromise.

If you like dance, what others are calling body movement (despite the well-deserved swipe at lunging and bugsquashing, which is seen more in moving horn and drumlines than in the guard) is much better than back when you last saw it. Twenty years ago, guards tried to dance but didn't do it nearly as well as they do today. One can see that guard members come to drum corps now with extensive prior experience in ballet and jazz, because they can't teach what guard members do now only in the summer. However the precision and snap is not as good, so if you prefer military color guard style, you may not welcome this change--but you've already seen that on the streams.

I agree that the demand and skill levels in all sections are significantly higher than 20 years ago. The visceral impact can be lower, but it's impressive.

I don't think anyone's compared decibel readings from back in the day and today. It's all pretty subjective. I sat low and on the 50 at two shows this year and my ears were ringing afterward.

I hope you write a review! I would love to hear your thoughts.

My suggestion is: HAVE FUN!!!

The shows are all very different and many are "creative" in nature so if you don't like one show you'll probably love the next lol

No they most definitely will not. I was also in the military and overseas for most of 13 years. I came back to the states in 2005. My first DCI show was Houston in 2005 and I truly enjoyed myself. I was surprised to see that the pit was miked but it wasn't a big deal. Each year since I have progressively become less and less interested in DCI drum corps because of the all the changes. Electronics, synthesizers, prancing, dancing hornlines and drumlines, Miked soloists, and the idiotic need to tell some artsy fartsy story with every show have made me lose interest. Hope you enjoy your experience though.

I do plan on writing a review once I get back from Atlanta. I think after watching live streams online and videos of performances over the last 20 years I'm pretty much ready for the changes. I've been talking to my wife and my old band director about some of the DCI changes and I've seen all the bickering back and forth about G vs. Bb bugles, mic'd pits, narration, squatting/dancing/prancing and I get the complaining. I remember what it was like before and I've not had the transition period like many others have and to be quite honest I wasn't thrilled at first.

After watching and reacquainting myself with drum corps and now modern drum corps I've formulated my own opinion and here it is....I love drum and bugle corps!!! I love what it stands for, I love what it does to and for the individuals involved(parents,volunteers and drivers as well) and I love that it keeps music alive in a sports dominated world. While I may not love all the changes today or what the changes will be tomorrow...I still love it. We can sit here and complain all day long on these forums but I guarantee you this....those kids marching believe drum corps is alive and well....and they believe in what they are doing as much as the participants did 50 years ago. To them it's the best drum corps has ever been and I'm going to support not just the activity but those individuals.

I can't wait until Saturday so I can introduce my family to an activity that I love so much....drum and bugle corps. Even though we're driving 7.5 hours to Atlanta...I'm excited, they're excited and I'm looking forward to a fun weekend.

Edited by nallop24
  • Like 9