My first live show in 2 decades-Atlanta, GA

I do plan on writing a review once I get back from Atlanta. I think after watching live streams online and videos of performances over the last 20 years I'm pretty much ready for the changes. I've been talking to my wife and my old band director about some of the DCI changes and I've seen all the bickering back and forth about G vs. Bb bugles, mic'd pits, narration, squatting/dancing/prancing and I get the complaining. I remember what it was like before and I've not had the transition period like many others have and to be quite honest I wasn't thrilled at first.

After watching and reacquainting myself with drum corps and now modern drum corps I've formulated my own opinion and here it is....I love drum and bugle corps!!! I love what it stands for, I love what it does to and for the individuals involved(parents,volunteers and drivers as well) and I love that it keeps music alive in a sports dominated world. While I may not love all the changes today or what the changes will be tomorrow...I still love it. We can sit here and complain all day long on these forums but I guarantee you this....those kids marching believe drum corps is alive and well....and they believe in what they are doing as much as the participants did 50 years ago. To them it's the best drum corps has ever been and I'm going to support not just the activity but those individuals.

I can't wait until Saturday so I can introduce my family to an activity that I love so much....drum and bugle corps. Even though we're driving 7.5 hours to Atlanta...I'm excited, they're excited and I'm looking forward to an fun weekend.

Best post I've read this year.

• Like 5

The squatting may be the worst form of body movement out there. I have no idea why designers think having the corps look like they are taking a collective dump is effective in any way.

Wonder what the fan/judges reaction would be if the BAC squatted while they're in the G7 form? Well, animals do have to squat.
  • Like 2

I do plan on writing a review once I get back from Atlanta. I think after watching live streams online and videos of performances over the last 20 years I'm pretty much ready for the changes. I've been talking to my wife and my old band director about some of the DCI changes and I've seen all the bickering back and forth about G vs. Bb bugles, mic'd pits, narration, squatting/dancing/prancing and I get the complaining. I remember what it was like before and I've not had the transition period like many others have and to be quite honest I wasn't thrilled at first.

After watching and reacquainting myself with drum corps and now modern drum corps I've formulated my own opinion and here it is....I love drum and bugle corps!!! I love what it stands for, I love what it does to and for the individuals involved(parents,volunteers and drivers as well) and I love that it keeps music alive in a sports dominated world. While I may not love all the changes today or what the changes will be tomorrow...I still love it. We can sit here and complain all day long on these forums but I guarantee you this....those kids marching believe drum corps is alive and well....and they believe in what they are doing as much as the participants did 50 years ago. To them it's the best drum corps has ever been and I'm going to support not just the activity but those individuals.

I can't wait until Saturday so I can introduce my family to an activity that I love so much....drum and bugle corps. Even though we're driving 7.5 hours to Atlanta...I'm excited, they're excited and I'm looking forward to an fun weekend.

Don't forget seat cushions! :smile:

Edited by Cappybara

Don't forget seat cushions! :smile:

Good tip...did not think about that! Wife thanks you too...I'm sure.

What were you like 20 years ago? Did you pick shows apart or did you just accept them for what they were. Perhaps a little of both?

Try not to compare era's and just enjoy yourself and you should be fine.

VERY well said! It would be great if more of us could see things through your glasses. Thank you!

The biggest difference you'll notice is the size of each corps. 150 members is now the limit vice 128. If you want to check my math, 128 original members divided into 22 new members per corps comes out to a 17% increase.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 1

I started thinking about drum corps in 2006, started reading DCP in 2007, we went to DCI finals in 2010 after 27 years (for me) and again in 2013, subscribed to Fan Network in 2011 and will be watching the live feed in Atlanta this weekend. Drum corps was and is an awesome experience. Enjoy the weekend and have fun. I'll wave to you from my laptop :)

• Like 1

I say go in, forget everything you read on here, clear and open mind and experience it in the most pure way possible and draw your own conclusions.

That's the plan. Sometimes reading this forum can really tick me off and then other times I learn a lot....I'm trying to think about it as if it were my first time.