If you had to pick a side . . . to sit on.

Last year I took a bunch of people new to drum corps to the Massillon show. They loved it. We had great seats, too, high and just off the 50-yard line.

This year my schedule was in flux, so that only yesterday was I sure I could make the show. I put out an offer to friends, family, and coworkers, either new to drum corps or a decade or more since they last saw the show. They have responded, I have a group to join me, even bigger than last year, but despite the ticket price being higher this year (Massillon being a T.o.C. show this year), my delay means the seats between the 40s are gone (except low down, and I want my guests to enjoy the drill as well as the sound). I have to pick a side, and this got me wondering:

If you're not in the middle, are you more often on one side than the other?

Are there particular shows, in the past or this year, that are better seen from one location vs. another? This year, for instance, is it better to be on the left for Crown's muffler feature or Boston's flugel soloist? (The corps at Massillon, which is two weeks from last night, are Boston, Xmen, Phantom, Cadets, Crown, SCV, and Bluecoats, but there's no need to restrict answers to this lineup or even this year.)

How is the amplification this year? (Yes, I did attend Ft. Wayne, but everything was soft compared to the announcer over the loudspeaker behind me.) And is there a location where you don't want to sit if you prefer brass to synthesizer? From time to time in the past five years, I've found myself blasted by goo. Are the speakers typically aimed straight up from the 40s, in which case would it be better to move out to the 35s? Or vice versa?

facing the field most visual guys favor the left side of the 50... but there are exceptions

45-50 yard line up about 80% is probably best in most stadiums and shows - but at LOS I like the 400s which are sort of middle-high

Boston's solo and Bloo's end jumps favor the left it seems. Although Bloo goes far right and near left with all the brass for the start of the ballad.

Which ever side gets you seats that are higher and somewhat close to everyone in your group. Also, ask the ticket folks, if you can, if your seats are away from HS band kids. They might talk more than you and your group may like.

I'd say backfield, you've got way more room to stretch out...;) snicker snicker

I'd say backfield, you've got way more room to stretch out... ;) snicker snicker

Back and to the left, back and to the left.

Does anyone else want to talk back to Troopers' opening narration with, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how are you enjoying the show?"

Whatever you get, the sound and view should be pretty good. That is one of the BEST sounding stadiums in the country...PERIOD. Drum corps sounds like it should in that stadium. Always a huge crowd being that it's part of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Celebration that takes place for 2 weeks here in Canton. Just a few years back I know they had over 8,000 attend the show. Amazing! I expect a huge crowd this year. I hope.

Back and to the left, back and to the left.

Does anyone else want to talk back to Troopers' opening narration with, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how are you enjoying the show?"

It's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma.