Field Boundaries

Please excuse the following question if it's something that is already well known and I'm just not aware.

What are the current field boundaries? During many corps performances there seem to be people stepping off the field regardless of what part of the field they are on.

I was watching a YouTube clip of Phantom in San Antonio and during the ballad (Swan formation), there is a guard member who is off the field, in front of one of the front black panels and she's between the 20th and 15th yard lines on the right hand side. At the same time, Crown is throwing frisbees off the field with no repercussions what-so-ever.

I remember a time when you couldn't step over one of the lines on the front/back and sides without incurring a penalty.

Speaking of penalties, I don't think there has a been a single penalty given yet this year.

There was a huge penalty assessed in DCA on Saturday.

In DCI, it seems to me that recently penalties are more often assessed later in the season than earlier. Perhaps because chief judges at local shows don't know the rules as well? Last year, Bluecoats gave a team shout so loud at Akron that you could even hear it in the cinema show right int the middle of Phantom's performance. No penalty. At Centerville, Boston threw their dust all over the place. No penalty. But in Indianapolis, Boston was penalized a point for the dust in Prelims. And then SCVC was penalized a half-point for warming up too close to Lucas Oil Stadium in Semis.

As regards Crown's frisbees, I hope they have confirmed that either the rules have changed since 2000, when SCV was penalized for that rifle toss, or that they plan to adjust their performance accordingly. Perfectly placed tosses that all land just shy of the back line? A big net to catch them?

I can tell you that the front boundary is no longer defined by the front sideline. It's an extension of the pit box running from goal line to goal line. It's either eight or ten yards in front of the traditional front sideline, but is subject to the whim of the chief judge in facilities where there are obstacles. I don't believe there have been side or rear boundaries for a number of years.

**Things you know from carrying the DCI rule book in your pocket or on your phone at shows for two years**

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

There was a huge penalty assessed in DCA on Saturday.

In DCI, it seems to me that recently penalties are more often assessed later in the season than earlier. Perhaps because chief judges at local shows don't know the rules as well? Last year, Bluecoats gave a team shout so loud at Akron that you could even hear it in the cinema show right int the middle of Phantom's performance. No penalty. At Centerville, Boston threw their dust all over the place. No penalty. But in Indianapolis, Boston was penalized a point for the dust in Prelims. And then SCVC was penalized a half-point for warming up too close to Lucas Oil Stadium in Semis.

As regards Crown's frisbees, I hope they have confirmed that either the rules have changed since 2000, when SCV was penalized for that rifle toss, or that they plan to adjust their performance accordingly. Perfectly placed tosses that all land just shy of the back line? A big net to catch them?

5.9 pt penalty? Do you know what it was about?

I don't. But one report from the show says that Alliance stopped short of a full show. Maybe they didn't reach a minimum length? I don't know DCA's rules at all. From comments last year, I gather some of them may be rather arcane.

At the same time, Crown is throwing frisbees off the field with no repercussions what-so-ever.

Oh what sad times are these when passing crownians can throw Frisbees at will without repercussions. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history.

• Like 4

Oh what sad times are these when passing crownians can throw Frisbees at will without repercussions. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history.

Gee skevinp. Thank you for your sarcasm.

LOL. My sentiments exactly.

Cappybara, do you remember when equipment tossed off the field produced a penalty?

No. Do I need to in order to have the opinion that tossing equipment off the field isn't a bad thing? I would certainly hope not.