What do you think the champions of yesteryear would score today?

I've been curious lately on how the champion shows of previous years (5+ years back) would score on today, assuming they do not change a single thing about their show. Also, I've also been curious as to how said show would perform if they were to make changes that would fit today's rules and judging criteria.

For example, how do you think the champions of 1999 would score today, without changes to their program? How would they score if they made small changes to their program that fits today's judging criteria?

Furthermore, if you'd like to, are there even shows that didn't win that would be competitive today, essentially being ahead of their time in a way?

I'd love to hear your opinion on champions of the past---if you want, it'd be cool to simply see a list of how you would score a corps both with and without changes.

• Like 1

Star of Indiana 1991 vs anyone in this field (2014) would WIN!

Cadets and Star in 1993 (both unreal shows with amazing demand) would not beat BD this year (maybe not even Cadets). Reason: just not clean enough. If you watch those finals from 1993, and I realize it rained and that hurt a lot of things, Star and Cadets did not lay down clean shows at all. In terms of demand those are two of the best from any year (right there with Cadets 92 & 97, Crown 2012-2013, and BD on a number of years). By today's judging standards (or tendencies) Cadets and Star might take 3rd and 4th. And for the record I thought Star should have won those finals. Both corps were amazing, but Star was truly unique and special.

Blue Devils 1986 vs Blue Devils 2014 = who's judging? If judged by 1986 standards, BD 1986 wins, but by today's standards 2014 BD wins. However, 1986 BD would be top 6 this year, maybe higher.

Garfield Cadets 1987 vs. The Cadets 2014 = Dogfight...but Garfield 1987 might actually WIN DCI even here in 2014, even by today's judging standards. That was a supreme show and my No. 1 ALL-TIME Quintessential Drum Corps show EVER!!!

• Like 1

While many earlier shows would score high points in some captions (GE, Vis Perf., Vis Ens., Mus. Ens, maybe Brass)..... I believe Colorguard and Percussion have made such huge advances in just the past decade... the older shows would have a rough time competing. The amount of simultaneous demand from these groups are through the roof these days compared to the past.

However, If you are asking technically 5+ years back, then I would say Cadets 2005 would be the only show that could still win today. I believe that is the only show in the past 20 years (maybe ever) to be a unanimous champion (Every judge had them first). The design has enough depth and the performance was clean enough that any other show would have a rough time outscoring it in my opinion.

Edit: Yep... just checked fromthepressbox. Cadets 2005 is the only show in the DCI era to be a unanimous winner at finals. Cavaliers 2002 and Blue Devils 2003 were close (both lost only percussion to Cadets)... other close calls were also all from Blue Devils (1976, 1997 and 2010).

Edited by Tez
  • Like 1

How far back do you mean with yesteryear? Using today's standards, 2002 Cavaliers would still be competitive. 1978 Vanguard would be out of Finals.

I was generally thinking 5+ years or so from 2013/14. You had the right idea, opining that 2002 Cavies would still be competitive but 1978 Vanguard would not even be in Finals. To expand, how do you think 1978 Vanguard's show concept would be if they tweaked stuff around to match today's sheets? Do you think the general concept would win over judges today?

I agree with Cadets 2005 as still winning it today

Other great champions such as Star 91 would have a shot. Possibly Cadets 98.

I personally don't think the Cavaliers shows would hold up as well even though they are more recent due to today's judging climate - JMO

Kinda makes you start to think of what certain shows today would have done back then.

Take, for example, Phantom 2010, Into The Light. How would a show like that have done, say 2000? 1995? 1989?

Personally, I think some great shows in the past could at least medal. Cadets and Star 1993 were mentioned. Today, they could both medal. Cavaliers 2000 and 2002 could medal.

But then you have to think about the kind of effect Cavaliers 200-2006 had on the activity itself. If Cavs had done different shows, and had not won a gold medal 4 out of 6 years, if that era had been moved up to now-a-days, how would shows like that hold up? You can't really do that. You can't have that. It's like changing the timeline. Butterfly effect, if you will. You take Cadets 1980's and delete them from history, what would we have today?

Anyway I'm getting too deep into this.