Ocean Springs, with comparison to Lafayette

Following the corps across the south to Atlanta. It is fun to compare night to night, venue to venue.

Got to see Pioneer tonight: I enjoyed their show and liked the true attempt to play on the word, concept of joy. Improved over last year, especially the guard.

Lots yet to clean.

Mandarins: I was sorry I missed them in Lafayette. A solid corps with a strength for demonstrating strength. I think they sell their concept of perseverance and strength throughout the show. I would like to hear them trim down the voice over a bit. Some real power and communication tonight. Doing more with the not loud and big moments would give the show more depth and variety.

PC: I did not think as good as Lafayette. The show is extremely enjoyable and easy to follow. Perhaps a bit more higher level things would elevate their rep score? Happy to see them again. The theme is so clear. Other than some cleaning in the higher demand moments, especially at the end, I think the show is maxing out pretty well.

Spirit: Better than Lafayette. I think this show sells better in a small, intimate stadium. Trumpet soloist was on fire. Much fewer individual blow ups. Crowd did not respond near as much as with PC or Mandarins. They are pretty dirty for July 22. Struggled again to play together a lot of the time. The tree is used some but not as integrated as it should be. It looks kinda sickly. I am still not drawn into the show theme. Much better drum show tonight.

Blue Stars: I so loved seeing this a second times so soon. Though I did not think the performance was as good as Lafayette, I feel like I understood the evolution of the theme better and sensed more of the moving from busy panic moving time, to the settled in the home sense at the end. A great corps!

Cavies: A whole notch better tonight. I really love this production. Super clear and fun without being campy. Love the drum tuning and overall attention to show craft detail. Not so sure that with better talent this show would not be ahead of SCV, at least visually. Much better guard show tonight. Beautiful silks.

SCV: I really like this show, but something seems missing. Not in a bad way. I guess I am reading all the hype and expecting more. They however give little room for any major criticisms. March, drum, spin, play well. Love the theatrical approach. Love the bones! They are LOOOUUUDDDD! Theme is clear and well communicated. Interested to see where they finish.

Edited by derbydawg