Since Ohio State's band is frequently discussed here...

I read this earlier. "Sexualized culture" aka college kids doing what they do.

Most of the things described in the article are pretty tame. Good thing these people have never been around on rookie talent night!

Overreaction, blown out of proportion, overly PC, etc.

Edited by old skool drmmr

Pretty sad, but not surprising. I'm sure this is not particular to OSU. Blame it on today's entertainment industry more than anything. However, if any adult in charge is found to have 'looked away,' they need to be disciplined, if not removed.

Pretty sad, but not surprising. I'm sure this is not particular to OSU. Blame it on today's entertainment industry more than anything. However, if any adult in charge is found to have 'looked away,' they need to be disciplined, if not removed.

I can assure you that this doesn't happen in my college's band. Or atleast I didn't notice anything of the sorts in my first year in the band and I was pretty involved. Unfortunate this happened to OSU but just makes me feel even more happy and thankful for going to the University that I go to.

Most of the things described in the article are pretty tame. Good thing these people have never been around on rookie talent night!

This may be "normal" in terms of college culture BUT this is a completely different context. What we do at a frat party should be completely different from what we do in an esteemed organization that is viewed nationally.

• Like 4

I agree, it would be one thing if the director was never present when anything happened. But if you're present, and nothing changes, you're basically condoning it. Not an easy culture to change when you're talking about college kids.

• Like 2

If your kid was in the band and came to you upset that some of these things happened to them, is this what you would tell them?

Reading the actual report (not just the news article. The exhibits referenced are even worse.) some of it looks fairly harmless, but a lot of the specifics are nothing short of hazing and harassment.

To me, "Kids being kids" is a #### poor excuse for saying it's OK.

Edited by troon8
  • Like 3

A major action by a brand new president of the university, implying it must have been bad enough to take the action. The OSU cheer squad had a similar situation in the last year or so.

Edited by FanLib

Very sad to read this. For years as a college band director I was able to steer students away from this type of behavior with a strong leadership team and Kappa Kappa Psi...and obviously I taught at a Liberal Arts College where this sort of thing might be less commonplace.

OSU has a terrific reputation for hard work and excellent shows. So it's a shocker. As I read the article my first thought was that they over-reacted to "kids being kids." But as someone stated, if john knew of something and looked the other way, then he'd have to go. If he ultimately was the one to put out the "fire" then that might be seen as a plus. For band directors caught in this situation it's all a matter of "when did you know?"

I suspect he must have known at some point and perhaps did not do enough to stop it. Too bad. This is one of college football's treasured organizations (whether people agree or not, or whether they like them or not), and typically the band has had a fabulous reputation when they travel and how they act at home games. I really am quite surprised by this.

• Like 1

well I guess that makes him the best ###### unemployed director in the land!

• Like 6