Dallas, GA

Will try live blogging show tonight. Very good crowd - combo of band camps starting today and DCI being in town tomorrow I think. Either way, pretty cool.

Carolina Gold just wrapped. Guard is by far their strongest aspect. Issues moving and playing (out of step, horn facing, etc.). About 30 horns can crank out a good amount of sound when they want to. CV up next.

Interesting, Gold had tombstones for defunct dca corps out there. Nice to see them remembered.

Edited by Rufus67

Wow. Hadn't seen this live since preview night (full disclosure, our sons in CV) and my goodness did they bring it tonight. Drill needs cleaning, especially on back half if show, but this is the complete package folks. Very impressed with the quality, dynamics, and ability to string the theme through the whole show.

Alliance up now.

• Like 1

Alliance was much better than expected. Their battery/pit was very strong to me, but overpowered the horn line as a result (dare I say the pit needed amplification? I dare...). Horn line had some tasty licks/impact points while guard didn't make an impression either way. Did standstill for last movement and can't wait to see finished product. So good to see them back again.

Edited by Rufus67

Atlanta CV - 81.50

Alliance - 70.90

Carolina Gold - 70.55

Trying to be objective, and failing miserably, but CVs score makes no sense. Thy only got 1 point better over 2 weeks? Really? Oh well....

Alliance was much better than expected. Their battery/pit was very strong to me, but overpowered the horn line as a result (dare I say the pit needed amplification? I dare...). Horn line had some tasty licks/impact points while guard didn't make an impression either way. Did standstill for last movement and can't wait to see finished product. So good to see them back again.

Staff needs to learn how to teach properly and balance the sections accordingly. Corps have been doing that for years without balance issues when taught and performed properly.

• Like 1

Trying to be objective, and failing miserably, but CVs score makes no sense. Thy only got 1 point better over 2 weeks? Really? Oh well....

When you review the "buffering" of the scores between the 7/12 Wayne NJ show and the 7/19 Sacaucaus NJ show...the CV score sorta makes sense in the DCA world. It puts them in about the same rank as where they were before. No more no less.

The number that really jumps up off the sheets tonight is the CG number. they got a lower score tonight than they did on 7/6 of this month.

Unless they brought half the corps with them tonight or fell flat on their face I'll bet there was some heated exchanges in the booth tonight.

Just as Fusion, Reading and Hawthorne were hurt score-wise in Secaucus by the absence of CV, so, too,CV missed Fusion, et. al. tonight...... their place in the top 5 remains theirs..... I'm sure....

Joe

• Like 1

I'm sure Dan or Alan will come on and correct me, but I also think this is their annual 'cold' show - no appreciable preshow warmup or rehearsal time. not an excuse, a possible explanation for not much movement up...I was anticipating no change at best.

what jumps out to me is the music ensemble score -

16.7 in brass, 16.8 in percussion, and an ME of 14.8??? :rock::rock:

Today's caption comparisons will be intriguing.

And I'll agree with JoeDz - they are solid top 5. great program - what they may do with it after that is up to each individual performer's commitment.