7/26/14 Paw Paw, MI - Legends Drum Corps Open

Any DCP posters possibly attending tonight to provide updates? Kicks off at 7 pm EDT

In reverse performance order:
  • Legends - MI
  • Vanguard Cadets - CA
  • Genesis - TX
  • 7th Regiment - CT
  • Raiders - NJ
  • Les Stentors - , QC
  • Coastal Surge - SC

Originally I had hopes of attending this one, but an event at work ran late, and it didn't seem worth four hours' drive to see half a show. No score on DCI yet. I hope it wasn't cancelled; there had been a chance of storms.

So SCVC makes a statement against the early East Coast leader Regiment. That 3.2 points is a lot to make up in the ten days until Finals, but Open Class scores have tended to change pretty rapidly in the past. Tomorrow there's another east-west matchup when BDB meets Spartans.

So am I missing something, is SCVC music program really that much better than Genesis? Genesis music program seems to be way ahead of the others in Open Class.

Yes you are missing a lot. SCVC has well constructed musical program that provides variety and texture. It is engaging to the audience and performed well.

Genesis is big.

So am I missing something, is SCVC music program really that much better than Genesis? Genesis music program seems to be way ahead of the others in Open Class.

I haven't seen Genesis live yet, but based on what I've seen online, I preferred their show last year to this one. At this point, they're probably sitting in fifth place. They've lost in head-to-head competition with SCVC, Spartans, and 7th Regiment (although they were within a point of Regiment in both shows), and since BDB beat SCVC two weeks ago by more than a point, it's likely that they'd also beat Genesis. Nobody else is likely to pass Genesis. They beat Music City head-to-head by about three points a couple weeks ago, and Gold was five points back of SCVC in California. Legends has yet to beat Genesis and is more than two points behind them now. Raiders, Coastal Surge, Colt Cadets, Stentors, Racine Scouts, Blue Saints all seem to be clearly separated from the upper group.

Still, there tends to be a lot of volatility in Open Class, so Genesis conceivably could move up or down.

I'll be curious to see how Patria and North Eastern Technology (if they do appear) play into the mix. And again, it's a shame that Tampa Bay Thunder and Spokane Thunder both bowed out of competition this year. What would be really great is for all this year's corps to stay financially healthy, return next season, and be joined at championships by one or more of this year's new corps. Putting Louisiana Stars or Guardians into the mix would be such a good thing.