Strongest Top 5s Ever?

After last nights webcast, the thought that any of those shows in the current top 5 being 5th is astounding, but at the same time they'll probably deserve it because everyone up there is SO #### good this year.

So my question is this, what's been the strongest top 5 before and does this year have the chance of topping it?

Not sure if this is the best top 5 ever but it's definitely up there. Getting 5th this year is definitely nothing to be ashamed of at all.

• Like 1

I don't know about the " top 5 ", but I believe the Corps currently sitting in 6th to 11th positions here 2014 just might collectively be the best ever 5 Corps in this range in the history of DCI. I know thats not what you asked, but thought I'd toss that out there as an aside for what its worth.

I don't know about the " top 5 ", but I believe the Corps currently sitting in 6th to 11th positions here 2014 just might collectively be the best ever 5 Corps in this range in the history of DCI. I know thats not what you asked, but thought I'd toss that out there as an aside for what its worth.

I agree.

1980, while a very long time ago now, was still the most competitive finals IMHO. The top four were within .8 of each other, and Phantom was barely two points back in fifth place. Each of the top five shared or won a caption (BD horns, 27th GE, Bridgemen & Spirit drums, Phantom M&M). This season reminds me a lot of 2010, with BD leading the way, and the corps chasing them busy knocking each other off in captions - leading to the gap between first and second widening. Unless one of the Cadets/Bloo/SCV/Crown group can clearly break away from the others on the majority of sheets, nobody is likely to catch BD.

• Like 6

I feel like someone says these same things every single year.

This top 5 is the best ever.

This 6-12 is the best ever.

This group of non-finalist corps is the best ever.

• Like 3

I believe the Corps currently sitting in 6th to 11th positions here 2014 just might collectively be the best ever 5 Corps in this range in the history of DCI.

That's 6 corps. Maybe that's what gives them the edge. :tounge2:

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 2

I feel like someone says these same things every single year.

This top 5 is the best ever.

This 6-12 is the best ever.

This group of non-finalist corps is the best ever.

Maybe they're right too.

• Like 1

1988 and 1989 were both very strong top 5s

1988 just because the winner was such a surprise the way that semis and finals were done with not revealing the top 5 scores from prelims

1989 is still hard to believe that Bergen's Les Mis was a 5th place show. (and Star was no slouch that year either)