Atlanta Review - from a guard guy

So on a whim, I decided to fly to Atlanta this weekend as it would be the only time I could see live drum corps this year - and man was it worth it!

I'm writing this having had about 3 hours sleep total and 2 flights to get back home - so bear with me!

Overall Thoughts

I don't understand designers that pick themes that are so non-linear or existential or "too fluffy" - they just can't ever be fully realized and just become hard to execute - this is especially true in the lower placing corps - simply alluding to a theme at the beginning or end of the show - or trying to tie it up with a specific musical passage or narration just doesn't cut it

I'm surprised by how dirty some guards are this late in the season - we're 2 weeks away from DCI. I've said it over and over again - I would rather spend good money on great techs than on a designer who doesn't tour with the corps

I'm constantly amazed by the quality of members marching today - the individual responsibilities that are placed on them, and the physical and mental stamina required to do them are astounding

Having most of the regionals (and DCI) indoors has certainly upped the "danger' factor in equipement work - there is some extremely hard stuff being attempted out there that just a couple of years ago would have been relegated to WGI.

Carolina Gold

I'm a sucker for dark shows - so that's a plus. I was pleasantly surprised by how clean the guard was - some really great writing performed at a high level for this time in the season (for DCA). I remember one flag feature in particluar that was really, really bang on. Not sure that the tombstones added much as I don't recall them really being used much though. I'm also hoping that there were alot of horn holes, because it was hard to decipher what the drill was going for.

Atlanta CV

Another dark show - awesome. Loved how the main character lulls the corps into submission at the start of the show. Not a fan of having the whole guard in full length skirts at the start - it just doesn't look good on guys (to me anyway). I'm sure the show is still developing as the main character seems to come in and out of the story, but it seems to be a jilted lover putting a hex on the corps (hence the show title). Another really strong guard program backed by a really strong musical program. I actually preferred the corps proper when they all switched to the all black uniform with the green X - it helped clean alot of drill formations. I'm hoping they continue to expand and define the story and get the main character more involved in the overall production

Pioneer "Joy"

I totally get the constraints that this corps is under in terms of programming, but that said, I didn't really get the connection or underlying "Joy" theme that they were going for. It kind of came off as a disconnected thought process to me (the music, the guard costumes, the props, the tempos et...). That said, it's nice to see Pioneer with a larger guard. They are spinning well together and add alot to the show visually - just never really understood what they were trying to convey to me as an audience member

Jersey Surf "Pay it Forward"

I really liked the programming choices that Surf made the last 2 years. They were able to generate alot of buzz about the corps and get people into the stands earlier because they were fun and different from the pack. Not so this year. A much more serious product has evolved. The theme itself is too hard to properly convey on a football filed, and apart from guard members giving the corps their shako feathers, the theme never really developed (and yeah I get that they played "Lean on Me" - but song selection does not a theme make). I think that intellectually they thought the theme had alot of potential, but it never translated to the field. The all blue pallet, although really well done, just helped make the corps seem less energetic (color choice is so important!!!).

Cascades "Turn"

Soooooo much better than last year. They programmed the show smartly this year for the members they had instead of the members they wished they had. It feels like they also took the audience into consideration as the music was recognizable and had fun twists to it (like Summertime into Firebiird). Small corps can be very effective if done right. Where the show didn't work for me was in the props and flag choices. You could tell they were home made, especially the drawn on leaves and flowers on the flags. This took what could have been a very good show and completely brought it down a level. I understand that these things cost money, but you can get the same effect by using a basic color pallet to denote seasons and play with visual emotions. As it was, I was taken out of the show visually.

Mandarins "Unbreakable"

Probably one of the strongest Mandarin corps I've seen in a while. Love the corps dark purple uniform. It really gives them an intimidating look on the field. I loved the show - but the theme was forced. It didn't need to be there. Had the show been done without the narration - I would have enjoyed it more, as it was I kept thinking I was at a self help seminar. Last year's narration worked because it connected music, story and audience - this year it just doesn't

Pacific Crest "No Strings Attached"

Strong showing from the guard. I do feel that the all the little "strings" hanging off their costume makes them look dirtier than they are - especially on weapon - as no matter the body placement, the strings have a mind of their own. Not sure about the skull caps either. Love the beginning when they come out with strings of different sizes, but again, I was hoping the theme would develop further - and I think these struggles with committing with a theme is what takes a show from good to great.

Oregon Crusaders "Nevermore"

I fell in love them OC when they won Open class 2 years ago - so I was excited to see them. I like the ideas flowing from this show, but I was surprised at how dirty the guard was. They need to just clean the heck out of the show for the next 2 weeks, as there were still major body positioning issues, and flag line problems throughout. Also some great opportunities were missed. When the whole corps turns backfield left to point us to the solo rifle tosser - she tosses in front of an open door instead of tossing through the door - just a small thing, but to me goes back to committing to the theme and using all of the nuances that you can

The Academy "Vanity Fair"

Holy crap, what a fun show. I'm one of the few people that enjoyed last year (even though it was chock full of problems), but I like where they went this year. It seems like a kind of reset. Not sure about the black umbrellas. I get the pop of red - but the black overwhelms. The guard was really hesitant for the first part of the show, but got more and more comfortable as the show progressed and really made this an overall enjoyable show. They seem very young, but if they can keep them and grow the program (Academy always seems to have problems with the guard program) they should do fine.

Troopers "A People"s House"

As a disclaimer - I'm not American, so I find Patriotic shows kinda tacky. That said, I really enjoyed Troopers this year. I still think that the guards costumes are 1 shade of yellow too light, but they are fielding a strong guard this year. It must be very hard to design for Troopers. They have a very clear identity and thematic purpose which can make the corps seem stuck in the past. The design staff for the last 2 years has done a tremendous job of looking to the past and sticking to an identity but building it for today's audiences (Pioneer should take note). I wasn't a fan of the Lincoln face thing as it looked clunky to set up and was just an overall awkward transition - but they worked the kinks out on that one. Still seems funny though as they literally do 2 Lincoln faces in a row.

I even found myself giving them a standing ovation at the end, as it was "americana" done right.

Spirit "Magnolia"

Where do you go with a theme about a tree. It's a tough one. Spirit has improved considerably this year, but the show design just isn't working. The Magnolia tree prop is too small, so the whole "magnificence and majesty" angle that you'd want to inspire doesn't come through. The guard had a rough run. The opener rifles need major work. Also, if you're going to have mixed weapon lines - don't have 2 costumes that don't line up dril wise - it makes the work look messier. The part of the show that I did love was near the end. The whole guard is spread all over the field with Magnolia flower flags and the work and staging is gorgeous - now if they can find a way to bring more of that to the beginning of the show.

Colts "Dark Side of the Rainbow"

I love this show. It's really to bad that the speakers cut off, but if you base your whole show on narration, that's a chance you're going to take. Colts have a very strong guard that really sells the show throughout. The corps proper 2 tone uniform works really well to generate effect in the drill - and the drill totally reflects the story line - so thank you for that. The new ending with the "original scarecrow" and the Yellow Brick Road Music is an insanely good idea - might not make finals this year, but definitely the type of programming they should pursue. Modern, accessible, twisted and thoughtful

Madison "Time Trip"

People are ripping this show apart this year.....and I won't be one of them. This is probably my favorite Madison show in quite some time. The guard had a phenomenal run tonight. The opening flag feature was super clean and I'd say this is probably the best guard Madison has had in quite some time. The time wheel is still an issue a the beginning of the show - but once it starts to be integrated (when the clock gets ripped off) I really like the idea behind it and how it serves as a "portal" to bring people into another musical era. The color and psychedelic progression of the corps is pretty awesome and I love the soft closer - as the dancer who literally started from one corner of the field and ends walking off the other. They just need to figure out how to integrate the wheel from the very start - so that it doesn't look like an afterthought.

Blue Stars "Where the Heart is"

I'll tell you where the heart is....it's probably in the guards throats with all the tricks they have to perform. This show is a master class in technical proficiency and extremely difficult equipment work. Watch the intricacies in the flag work, the hand positions changes and toss varieties alone are incredible to watch. The downside is that they are dirtier than the groups around them (especially the bubble wrap flags last night), but their composition scores should hopefully make up for it. Color coordination is extremely strong. From the costumes to the flag choices, they all work in unison to give us a strong emotional connection to the theme. And a big shout out to the guy that does the flip over the couch and catches his sabre - super cool moment in the show.

Crossmen "Alma Gitana"

I really like what the Crossmen are doing this year and the Caravan motif they weave throughout the show. I wish they would use the 3 caravans more during the show - seems like they could be used to generate more effect. A very strong guard (as always) really helps sell this program and the new corps uniform really screams "Crossmen" - should be back in top 12 this year. They did seem a bit shaky at the start - not sure if the appearance of "Bones" in the back stands caused members to overhype. Love the ballad number (I think Freelancers opened their show in '85 with this piece), but wasn't sure about the "carpets" used by the guard.

Phantom Regiment

The show is definitely growing on me. I wished they would stop programming around their all girl guard though. It made sense the first 2 years as it served to emphasize the return of the "Phantomettes" but I feel that they rely on this way too much now. They have made alot of changes though and it shows. Phantom has a really strong rifle line and the best part of the show for me is when the guard is separated into 4 units - the work and musicality is awesome and those ladies know how to spin. I still think that the corps propers first uniform has too much black and not enough white. So that when they do switch to all black - the effect never really happens as planned. But I was pleasantly surprised with how far this show has come.

Boston Crusaders "Animal Farm"

Every once in a while a show comes along that is sooo out there and soooo good, that scores don't really matter - and this is one of them. They are doing things that I haven't really seen before (and trust me I've seen alot). The drill choices have a very singular viewpoint and I appreciate that. The guard has really started to gel, and you can tell. It is an extremely complex show, and one mistake can ruin a whole segment - so I appreciate that they are going for it. The change to the black and red jackets and red masks at the end really helps drives the darkness of the show at that point!

Blue Knights "That One Second"

This show is a breath of fresh air. Anyone who doesn't think color choice is important and can psychologically affect people - needs to view this show on repeat. It's not an "In your face" type of show, but a very cerebral one that draws you in more and more as it progresses. There are so many details in this show that it needs multiple viewings - and that's a good thing. The only thing I question is using the same color scheme on the guard as the corps - they can get lost sometimes when they're integrated into the corps - but other than that - a strong showing for Blue Knights this year.

The Cavaliers "Immortal"

This show has grown leaps and bounds over the summer. I was worried about the over reliance of the 8 weapon boys - but these guys are absolutely nailing their show now and grabbing our attention while selling the Immortal theme. The flag line has also improved drastically - they were tight tonight. Loved the part where the horn player becomes a skeleton right before our eyes. I really love the marimba "run-off" too - but my one criticism is how does that tie into the theme of "Immortal". I'm hoping they use "electronic sound design" to more effect and make the show even darker by DCI - but it's getting there! And major kudos to the tuba player who had to do the crazy ending drill wrapped up in his red streamer - that could have been a huge disaster. Welcome back Cavaliers !!!!!

Crown "Out of this World"

This show is so complexe and difficult and extreme. It has everything we love about Crown shows - yet it seems like it isn't connecting with audiences as much as last year - I blame us - I think we put them on a pedestal and no matter what they did this year wouldn't be enough. That said, I'm not sure why they remain committed to the trampolines - apart from the end of the ballad with the ode to "Gravity" they just don't add anything....at all. The guard had a wobbly run last night starting with the opening rifle sequence - it's strange to see Crown with so many breaks and wobbles - it's uncharacteristic of them. I am happy that they got rid of the circle things though - keeping the flags instead is a good choice. Overall, their equipment book is once again crazy hard - but they aren't controlling it yet - and that has to hurt their scores. The one thing I would say is that it is hard to connect emotionally and go on the journey that the music conveys as every single color choice is "bright" and "neon" - it was harder to appreciate the lush ballad because the flags were basically yelling at me the whole time. Oh - and I'm really not a horn guy - but holy crap - even I could tell that they play like no one else !!!!!

Vanguard "Scheherazade"

Vanguard has really developed their guard program over the last 2 years. They are once again stellar this year in execution and interpretation. I love the choices they make - like the saber flag work add on in the opener, and their fantastic rifle line. The color choices in the ballad are gorgeous and they work hard to sell the theme. That said, the theme and music and guard costuming is so similar to 2004 that I can't help but compare - and although this year's version is much, much better, 2004's version was so much more emotional and you can't compete with that. Loved the new ending though - reminded me of their 1989 Phantom corps disappearance !

Blue Devils "Felliniesque"

I've had my issues with BD over the years - but not this year. Their total commitment to theme and the nuanced details that they use on everything, everywhere at all times - is a step above everyone else. The guard is in complete control at all times and go through so many different emotions throughout the show - I'm surprised they don't have a psychologist on tour with them :tounge2:

The rifle feature alone in "Be Italien" is sooo good (yeah I know everyone is watching the tamborine girls, but next time watch the guys for a second or two!!!) Not sure about the long "film" banners at the end - I have a feeling they're still working that out as it seemed kind of tacked on at this point.

I also really liked the use of the streamers - brought back memories of their '80's guards (as did their solo performer with the feathers). These performers really understand the concept and perform it with confidence. I loved the one guy walking down the stage as he was followed by the girl with the umbrella - such a unique moment in the show for me.

They will win best color guard again this year - no question about it.

Bluecoats "Tilted"

My favorite show of the summer. It's modern, fresh, fun and engaging - what more could you want. They are strong across the board and the color choice on the corps proper uniform is so bang on. It commands authority and respect. The orange used to contrast is (surprise, surprise) perfect. I'm still not sold on the opening rifle / dance feature as I think it's a missed opportunity - but I love that the "V" poles are now orange - you can really see what they are doing now and it is insanely clean! Love the new ending too - always felt the other one was anti climactic.

Cadets

Cadets are doing Cadets very well - but I'm not connecting with the show. I appreciate what they are doing - but I don't see the "heart" coming from it. I still don't get the stage as it's still not used to maximum effect. Guard wise, it's definitely one of the strongest Cadets guards. The opening flag feature was spot on and their saber book (especially in the closer) is insane. I do feel that they have taken a more conservative approach to show design as it feels like vintage Cadets - not a bad thing - but doesn't hit that cutting edge level that I used to love from Cadets. Color wise - I don't like the cumberbunds matching the guard - I get the intent, but the corps looks strange with light blue and then brown cumberbunds. It seems like they are really pushing the patriotism angle at the end, but it's just doesn't work for me - then again - I'm not American remember :tounge2:

Overall - great, great year and can't wait to see how things develop over the next 2 weeks. One thing for sure - Blue Devils will take it this year, their attention to detail, overall design, connection to theme, musical choices, color and sound design are all so cohesive that the package is greater than the sum of its parts (which is pretty strong too!!!!!)

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 7

Great review, thanks for sharing

Really appreciated the review & the color guard perspective!

Great review. Any words on technique and execution?

Great review. Any words on technique and execution?

It really depends on the individual corps. I would say that overall - technique is readily apparent throughout. The written books could not be performed at the level that they are without a strong training program, and the fact that we hardly even see drops anymore in the top 5 /6 guards is pretty astounding considering that we're now fielding 18 person weapon lines.

The guards that are struggling right now seem to be more so due to changes being put in the show than lack of technique. Some of the lower tier corps though need to be teching and cleaning to what's in the show right now instead of just doing a regular tech block at this point (if that makes any sense).

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

It really depends on the individual corps. I would say that overall - technique is readily apparent throughout. The written books could not be performed at the level that they are without a strong training program, and the fact that we hardly even see drops anymore in the top 5 /6 guards is pretty astounding considering that we're now fielding 18 person weapon lines.

The guards that are struggling right now seem to be more so due to changes being put in the show than lack of technique. Some of the lower tier corps though need to be teching and cleaning to what's in the show right now instead of just doing a regular tech block at this point (if that makes any sense).

Later,

Mike

I love this analysis. I have seen the top twelve shows, and I agree with your perspective.