1992 Phantom Regiment

Just watched the 1992 show again and I don't understand the low score. I thought the brass was strong and the repertoire was demanding. I see cleaning issues but just loved the show and the traditional Phantom nuances. Any thoughts? Am I the only one that likes this show?

91.5 is a pretty good score for 8th place. The fact that Crossmen were 2nd in field percussion and 4th overall percussion propelled them into 6th. Phantom was 9th in percussion that year. Blue Knights had a pretty good line that edged them out. They were only .7 from tying for 6th though. Still pretty respectable.

Phantom leveled off when August hit, and Crossmen kept rising, especially when the ending was solidified at Allentown. And, Phantoms drumline was dirty.

Just watched the 1992 show again and I don't understand the low score. I thought the brass was strong and the repertoire was demanding. I see cleaning issues but just loved the show and the traditional Phantom nuances. Any thoughts? Am I the only one that likes this show?

I love the show, but visually they were not clean and their percussion was a dirt-clod-flingin' disaster.

I read a story online from a FMM of that show once, and he stated that there were a lot of attitude problems in the corps that year. They straightened things out and came back with a vengeance in 93.

The answer is hidden in "Historical Junior Corps Discussions" :shutup:

• Like 1

I really like Phantom 1992 as well. 1992 is one of my favorite DCI Finals trips. My buddy and I drove to Madison and met up with some friends. We camped out for the 3 days (cold in Wisky that time of year). Great overall finals. Top 12 was outstanding.

Regiment was 6th in Semifinals I think, but fell to 8th. I had a feeling Crossmen would pass them. That show was hot and one of my favorite musical books in DCI. Percussion was killer!!!! But Phantom's dirty performance in percussion and visual ex ultimately hurt them. Not that they were bad, but you had a sense on Finals night that SCV had also passed them. Santa Clara, for most of the summer, had a rough time cleaning their show. By Finals, WOW, Fiddler on the Roof was rockin'!!!

To this day I still think Star was the best corps on the field that summer, but those last few days they just seemed to fade just enough (mostly visually) and Cadets, who got hot, and Cavaliers, who were really clean with beautiful music and a killer percussion line, moved up.

In hindsight, if I had to re-rank that Finals evening I'd had Star in 2nd at the lowest, Cadets in 4th, BD in 3rd, and the rest is good. Cadets put on one of the more exciting shows on finals night, and some in the audience thought they won. But the brass was still out-of-tune and a little crass at times, and the visuals were not quite clean. No doubt that show was a BEAST. But BD was way cleaner (and yes, somewhat easier rep), and Star was just better all around.