Allentown+FanNetwork

Maybe I'm looking wrong, but it doesn't seem to be a live stream. Just a VOD

Check the schedule tab. $19.95 for non-members each night.

Well, one of the reasons I am flying out there is because it wasn't on Fan Network. Hmmmm..... nice timing by DCI. Don't get me wrong, I would rather be there in person!

I was wondering when/if there would be a "surprise" live broadcast this year. Didn't the fan network have at least one of those in previous years?

Email just received from Fan Network:

Greetings Fan Network Subscriber!

We're excited to let you know that we're adding TWO BONUS WEBCASTS to your Fan Network subscription plan for your viewing pleasure this coming Friday, Aug. 1 and Saturday, Aug. 2, as Drum Corps International's World Class corps compete in historic Allentown, Pennsylvania!

The Allentown Public School District has installed a brand spanking new Internet connection in the stadium press box, which provides us with the opportunity to bring you all of the action from the fabled DCI Eastern Classic for the first time ever—LIVE, as it happens!

We're adding these multi-camera webcasts to your subscription package at no cost to you; simply as a gigantic thank you for subscribing and watching this year's remarkable drum corps performances all summer long.

Although we have every confidence that this Fan Network production will be delivered to your computer, tablet or phone without a hitch, we're aware that J. Birney Crum stadium is one of the older venues on the DCI Tour (and one that we've never fully tested for a live Fan Network webcast). Thus, we ask for your patience if we encounter a few hiccups along the way.

Our team will be working from the venue starting early Friday to ensure that you won't miss a minute of the action, and we didn't want to pass up this opportunity to bring you what's always one of the most exciting and epic events of the entire summer season. We hope you'll enjoy these outstanding performances live from the last major regional of the 2014 Drum Corps International Tour!

• Like 2

My personal recommendation: If you are going to be in Indy, don't watch Allentown. This is the weekend where everyone usually unveils their final changes so if you like to be surprised at Prelims like I do keep yourself pure.

(Or as my Finals group says, "We know when there's a change because he does the gay gasp.")

Then again, I am insane so feel free to ignore me.

• Like 1

Email just received from Fan Network:

The Allentown Public School District has installed a brand spanking new Internet connection in the stadium press box, which provides us with the opportunity to bring you all of the action from the fabled DCI Eastern Classic for the first time ever—LIVE, as it happens!...

Although we have every confidence that this Fan Network production will be delivered to your computer, tablet or phone without a hitch, we're aware that J. Birney Crum stadium is one of the older venues on the DCI Tour (and one that we've never fully tested for a live Fan Network webcast). Thus, we ask for your patience if we encounter a few hiccups along the way.

It's certainly true that DCI has never used the new web connection just installed at J. Birney Crum, but does anybody else recall (or am I just hallucinating?) that in year one of live webcasts, they did try to do a live webcast of Allentown, and it was a train wreck. Up until now since then, Allentown's been VOD-only. Notice the way they phrase that e-mail: they don't want any static from subscribers for this bonus gift if it does go south. They'd have to refund one-time purchasers but subscribers will have a tough argument for partial refunds if there are problems since Allentown live wasn't part of the deal anyway.

In some years Allentown VOD has become available early the last week of the season, and in other years, it has not, because the following nine days are the toughest of the season for the FN production team. That was part of the reason Buffalo didn't go well last year, as I recall, with lots of complaints about poor shot selection and sound--it wasn't a regular FN crew that produced it

It's certainly true that DCI has never used the new web connection just installed at J. Birney Crum, but does anybody else recall (or am I just hallucinating?) that in year one of live webcasts, they did try to do a live webcast of Allentown, and it was a train wreck. Up until now since then, Allentown's been VOD-only. Notice the way they phrase that e-mail: they don't want any static from subscribers for this bonus gift if it does go south. They'd have to refund one-time purchasers but subscribers will have a tough argument for partial refunds if there are problems since Allentown live wasn't part of the deal anyway.

In some years Allentown VOD has become available early the last week of the season, and in other years, it has not, because the following nine days are the toughest of the season for the FN production team. That was part of the reason Buffalo didn't go well last year, as I recall, with lots of complaints about poor shot selection and sound--it wasn't a regular FN crew that produced it

Actually, subscribers have ZERO argument for partial refund should the broadcast go south, for the reason you mentioned. This is bonus content. If it doesn't work 100% properly, oh well.