DCI and WGI composing salaries

No it is not just from DCI groups. It is a combination from high school groups, DCI, WGI, and international groups. I do know for fact that the drill writer chargers $12,000-20,000 just for high school groups, and the group that my friend works at in which the school hired the writer for the drill charged them $12,000. It was something around $100 a kid for 100+ band in Southern California.

folks can charge up to the $10K figure for a visual design from a top program - but there are only so many of those around - a winter program is usually much less (about $2500) so he'd have to design for 90-150 programs which is impossible

top designers can get by - but they are NOT making "good money" by any stretch - I'm sorry, just don't want you to go into this being unrealistic

I suppose if you find and cater to the right markets you can charge 12k-20k, but not every school you meet is going to pay that much. And whoever said 900k is just messing with you, or you heard them wrong. Even 90k is still pretty unrealistic, but still possible with multiple schools. 900k is like... over 300 schools/groups. Furthermore, that's likely big name drill writers and music arrangers that get the biggest contracts.

I mean heck I write drill, arrange music, and direct and I'm still on a supplemental contract.

Lol. There is absolutely no way a drill writer/composer is going to make nearly twice the average salary of a Cardiologist or Urologist.

If you're specifically looking for the big bucks, you're in the wrong field.

However if music is your passion, stick with it. But consider a supplemental career path as well.

Lol. There is absolutely no way a drill writer/composer is going to make nearly twice the average salary of a Cardiologist or Urologist.

If you're specifically looking for the big bucks, you're in the wrong field.

However if music is your passion, stick with it. But consider a supplemental career path as well.

Yes, well, the drill writer addition to this post kind of got off topic. My main question is, does anyone know the kind of salary a composer in the marching activity makes? My intention was not to compare a $900k salary. I am pretty aware that is not the normal salary in the activity.

Yes sorry, to be specific without names, this person is one of the best drill writers in the history of the activity.

Anyway, does anyone have an idea of composers salaries in the marching activity?

I know most of the top drill writers personally. They don't make over six figures / well one does, but with teaching and a couple primo gigs.

A "full" top notch WGI/BOA program tops out at 25K - but most "top" programs are in the $5-12K range, and I'm talking the top several in each state

Indoor program designs run around $2500 - a very good guard caption head can get $5-10K for the winter

Outdoor programs are a little more - a drum guy might get $5K - front ensemble $2500 - drill guy $5000 and music arranger $5-10K - but that's for a top program

Again - this is all first hand information.

I know a few folks that write drill, write percussion books, teach corps AND WGI/Percussion groups, and they are not even sniffing $100k, let alone $900k. Your "fact person" is not being honest here, I assure you.

I am sure there is someone on here that writes and designs who can give you more specific numbers, but this is just not realistic.

I know most of the top drill writers personally. They don't make over six figures / well one does, but with teaching and a couple primo gigs.

A "full" top notch WGI/BOA program tops out at 25K - but most "top" programs are in the $5-12K range, and I'm talking the top several in each state

Indoor program designs run around $2500 - a very good guard caption head can get $5-10K for the winter

Outdoor programs are a little more - a drum guy might get $5K - front ensemble $2500 - drill guy $5000 and music arranger $5-10K - but that's for a top program

Again - this is all first hand information.

thanks for this information

I also found this on another site- thoughts? "I've heard rumors from more than 1 source (mind you rumors, but I believe them) that Michael Gaines charges anywhere from $12,000 to $20,000 per show for his 300+ piece full-length BOA format clients. Considering a certain Houston school I know pays $10,000/show for drill for a UIL show from a drill writer that I've never even heard of, I wouldn't hesitate much to believe that this rumor is true.

If drill writing takes a similar amount of time to accomplish as show arranging/writing, and someone like Montoya (who is pretty well known) is arranging 20-ish shows per year.....I can't imagine the kind of money a guy like Michael Gaines must be making considering he has more clients than he can take on most of the time."

On another note, (and this is true of anything in your life), networking is almost the only thing that matters.

People don't care who you are unless you make yourself known. Big names already have their own go-to arrangers/composers, and they're probably not going to hire you.

Based on your other post I feel like you think marching activities are going to be something to base an entire career around. Unfortunately that's just not true most of the time. You're going to have to branch out into concert rep, education, performance, or even just another career. Tons of people in DCI don't even have a career related to music, which is fine.

Michael Gaines is the absolute top drill writer in demand. You're absolutely not going to make as much money as him. Michael Gaines is also a former corps member, and got his gig likely due to being an alum. Do not think that is going to be possible for everyone.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando