BAC G7 Set

I hope this doesn't turn into an off topic discussion about how awful the G7 are, etc, etc... *crosses fingers*

So Boston has that beautiful G7 set in their show this year. I was wondering, the members in the corps must have wondered what the G7 in their drill means, right? What kind of explanation do you think that the director/staff at Boston are giving the kids about the whole situation? I'm sure the director has to have given all the members a very deep understanding of everything in order for the members to perform the show to the best of their abiliy, correct? I'm sure there has to have been quite a few members (or atleast the ones who are rookies) who were previously clueless about the situation?

I hope this doesn't turn into an off topic discussion about how awful the G7 are, etc, etc... *crosses fingers*

So Boston has that beautiful G7 set in their show this year. I was wondering, the members in the corps must have wondered what the G7 in their drill means, right? What kind of explanation do you think that the director/staff at Boston are giving the kids about the whole situation? I'm sure the director has to have given all the members a very deep understanding of everything in order for the members to perform the show to the best of their abiliy, correct? I'm sure there has to have been quite a few members (or atleast the ones who are rookies) who were previously clueless about the situation?

I'm not sure that the members need to understand the program to perform it to it's fullest. They're simply a piece in the puzzle. In the greater world, it is not uncommon for only a few people to how the pieces of something fit together in order for them to do their job well. You do your part within the context of what you know, and it should be ok.

I would assume that many of the members would already know about the whole "G7" thing, and would probably share that information with their peers.

A progressive staff may also decide to share.

It could also be that the member got their dot and were told to march there at that time.

I'm not sure that the members need to understand the program to perform it to it's fullest. They're simply a piece in the puzzle. In the greater world, it is not uncommon for only a few people to how the pieces of something fit together in order for them to do their job well. You do your part within the context of what you know, and it should be ok.

I would assume that many of the members would already know about the whole "G7" thing, and would probably share that information with their peers.

It could also be that the member got their dot and were told to march there at that time.

I highly doubt there's a chance that a member in BAC has not seen that set online through a youtube video...

Also I disagree with you on the first part. But that's probably because of the way I was taught. In high school, our band director would explain the significance/story behind every piece we played so that we could connect better emotionally. I feel like that always worked well for us. It's hard for me to imagine that the staff would keep that in the dark.

• Like 2

I highly doubt there's a chance that a member in BAC has not seen that set online through a youtube video...

Also I disagree with you on the first part. But that's probably because of the way I was taught. In high school, our band director would explain the significance/story behind every piece we played so that we could connect better emotionally. I feel like that always worked well for us. It's hard for me to imagine that the staff would keep that in the dark.

You had a good band director then. I'm not saying which way is better, I'm only saying that most of the time in life we don't get the luxury of seeing how everything fits together unless it's part of our job responsibilities. For a marching band show, I'd be inclined to share as much with the members as possible, but as a member of several "marching groups" over the years I don't recall being given the full story for aspects of the shows I've performed. If there was a significant thing in the show that would help us, sure, we'd get an explanation on that, but that Boston show has sooo many things going on, I'm not sure the members get an explanation of every aspect of the show.

I agree that probably every member has seen that set, and I would bet that they know what the whole G7 thing is about. Maybe some of the staff informally tell some members about a particular aspect of the show and how it relates, and then those members share during spare time?

...and FYI, I'm not advocating that people shouldn't know the big picture, but when there are so many "moving parts" to a show, or anything complicated, it's pretty much impossible to share every detail with every person. It takes a lot of time and effort.

As much as I stay out of the G-7 debate I really do love the idea that they had the guts to evem bring it up. I love this show so much.

• Like 1

I would think that it would be incumbent upon a staff to point out and explain as much as possible regarding its show to the members. Otherwise, how can one expect a group of musicians to convey (communicate) a message to the audience when they (the members) aren't even aware of what the message is? I mean, it's not like a staff can tell the kids "Just march and play the music. The audience will know what you're talking about."

Edited by HornTeacher

I'm not sure that the members need to understand the program to perform it to it's fullest. They're simply a piece in the puzzle. In the greater world, it is not uncommon for only a few people to know how the pieces of something fit together in order for them to do their job well. You do your part within the context of what you know, and it should be OK.

Yeah, based on that Blue Devils video that garfield shared (which, again, was very well made and doubtless very useful to the more casual fan, although I stand by my criticism), I can well believe that members don't necessarily have a deep understanding of a show's meaning.

you would be surprised how many DO NOT know anything about the G7 thing...and thats not just members...or how many are over it and have moved on. The G7 thing is and even was far less intense among members, and staff and even those who do not indulge in social media. Very different.

No I'm not debating this. For those who need to have a ball...lol ( not you Jeff, just a statement )

Edited by GUARDLING