Blue Devils and scoring

1) Will they top the regular season high score?

2) Will they top the highest score ever?

96.9 with a week to go (and all the guns there) is mighty impressive. Garfield/SCV have the pre-championship week score record (97.1--1985 US Open Finals). Cadets/Cavies have the overall top score, 99.15.

I say Yes and Yes. :ninja:

Heck, at this rate, could they be the first to score 40 in GE?

• Like 1

If SCV or Coats can manage to win drums and Crown brass, then it will be hard for BD to top 99.15 at finals, unless they're down to SCV and Crown by just 0.1 and they otherwise score a lot of 20s.

funny thing about records, not that record breakers dont deserve the title , I guess in most circumstances they do BUT I think what drives things to record numbers usually is how good the ones behind them are. Those are the ones driving the numbers upward i have found over the years.

IMO numbers are only numbers and even perfect numbers in a given caption doesnt mean perfect at all..just mean the best at a given thing.

Edited by GUARDLING

funny thing about records, not that record breakers dont deserve the title , I guess in most circumstances they do BUT I think what drives things to record numbers usually is how good the ones behind them are. Those are the ones driving the numbers upward i have found over the years.

IMO numbers are only numbers and even perfect numbers in a given caption doesnt mean perfect at all..just mean the best at a given thing.

This. A few amazing corps behind them pushing their numbers up. I was at the show last night. In recent seasons Cadets and Bluecoats could have won finals with their shows and the judges are trying to reasonably rank them.
  • Like 1

Which goes along exactly with what I said in the Rutgers show thread. They are simply being rewarded by being "that much" better than the corps below them on that given night. If the bottom score to get into finals is an 86.5, then there is a lot less room for judges to play with to score corps than if the 12th place score is an 84. There's also more to it than just the spread from 1-12. When there are a lot of clear differences between corps, then judges need to have adequate spreads in between, so that leads to several gaps in scoring. The more corps that are very close to each other competetively, then that gives the judges more room to play with numbers, but if there are more different levels of corps, then there are more gaps, pushing numbers upwards. I would venture to guess this might be why we are seeing a bit more stagnation of scores in the 9-15 range, as the judges don't want to let scores get pushed up too much as to box themselves out. Hence, why you also will typically see scores fall more for corps ranked lower down than at the top. Any wonder why Colts have had their score drop 6 times compared to Crossmens 3 (I believe those numbers are correct from another thread)? How many of those times were when they were head to head?

• Like 1

Another record they could break is 41 years old- largest gap between 1st and 2nd. The '73 Vanguard holds the record for this. They beat Troopers by 2.5 points at finals. At last night' show BD was 2.3 over Cadets. Probably will not happen, but if it did it would be quite a feather in BD's cap.

I think the pieces are all there for them to break the record. It's possible they could sweep the captions. And the corps behind them are still really strong. From a numbers management standpoint, if Cadets, Bloo, SCV, and Crown all bring their "A" game to Indy (which we all know they will), and BD truly is a solid 1 to 2 points better, then yes... the judges will have to start exploring the 99-point range.