TOC Rutgers Review... from my truck. Purely for your amusement.

I'm going to be frank. This is a vent, and not a review, cuz I'm kinda grumpy I didn't get a chance to see the show. So if you're expecting that, I'm certain you'll get way more out of someone else's actual review. But if you need some Seinfeld style hilarity... read on dear friends.

I bought a ticket online, I left my apartment in Bloomfield, NJ (45 mins north) about 6:30. I arrived to the WORST parking menagerie I've ever seen at about 20 after 7. Literally this made LA and DC traffic look like freeflowing country roads. (Cue John Denver... take me hooommmeeee)

Rutgers apparently had another event going on in the adjacent stadium, at the same time, that had about the same number of attendees. To quote the parking dude "guess we didn't expect this many people ta show up at the same time" Insert Scarlet Knight Facepalm with an astounding THUD.

I listened while in my traffic line to crown be announced go on and perform, I did the same for SCV, and PR, and yes the break, all from the comfort of my truck, while viewing a grey charger in line sitting in front of me, huffing his exhaust as we barely moved. Cue George Constanza moment WHAT ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE DOING HERE? DONT THEY HAVE JOBS TO BE AT?! Seriously, no one wants to read a review posted from the inside of a pickup.

So crown sounded good from across the trees, I think SCV was a little flat, but that could have just been the reverb I was getting, and PR... well they sounded like they had trees in their bells. The rest... I'm sure you were ok. Break sounded pretty lame honestly. Maybe they could play some Bridgemen or something to pump it up. Or get a best of YoYoMa or White Snake CD to play. grumble.

We were routed out past both stadiums like cattle on our way to slaughter, through some tiny little roundabout, (which had two methods of two lanes each into it) and when I finally was showed where to park, it was a 20 minute walk from the other side of the golf course, back to the stadium. This was a almost ten minutes after 9pm.

Best dialogue of the night:

Me: "Hey dude, how far is the stadium, er, football stadium from here?"

Parking Dude: "Oh... well you can't see it, but its wayyyy over there. Let me ask... (asks buddy/boss type person)

Hey man... it's like 20 minutes, maybe 25. But there's a campus bus if you got an ID" It hits that corner stop down the way 'bout every 15 minutes"

Me: Thanks. "Whats the quickest way back to the parkway?"

Parking dude: "You know man, I've never actually used it"

Enjoy my $35 YEA & Rutgers. I hope you use it to buy some time to figure out logistics next time you want to schedule two large events adjacent to each other. I know several fans of the ultimate frisbee, or international hackiesack festival or whatever the heck dirty hippie thing it is did the same thing I did, when they looked at their watches, the time it would take to find a native guide (Cue Sancho!!!) and hike back to the stadiums, and then realized it just wasn't worth it. grumble.

Yeah. I'm a little bitter. I was hoping to see a few of these here Champions since I can't get to A-town due to work. Guess I'll have to see all these great homemade vids and give you a review of these that way, (and home movie quality... yay)

I'm totally cool with taking hours to leave a facility, but hours to get into it, is not acceptable. Hopefully you'll contact Mrs O'Leary's cow to help you torch the current set up, and then you can start with a clean slate, to mold into something at least usable.

Goodnight NJ... Rutgers, I will not attend an event at your campus until you pay me to do so, and helicopter me over the insane ridiculousness that is your lack of people moving thought processes. I suggest you find someone like Bruce Springstein or Danny Devito to donate something to help out your developement and planning department, graduate some facility planning and traffic engineering (yes Virginia, it is a real degree just like... theatre) and get them to fix your stupid campus.

Sincerely,

Me.

• Like 6

I feel for you.

I got in the exit line at Campus Rd, but then saw it was going nowhere, so I got back on 18N and went to the Busch exit a mile away...not a car in site. Meandered through the Busch Campus past the Busch Campus Center until I saw field lights...and a line of cars a mile long.

Found an almost-empty parking lot near some campus apartments about a brisk 20 minute walk to the field.

I'm so glad I did it that way. No lines of traffic going in or out...just a 20-minute walk.

Why couldn't they just have this event at Metlife Stadium? I know last year there was an event going on there, but was it the same this year also?

I suggest you find someone like Bruce Springstein or Danny Devito to donate something to help out your developement and planning department, graduate some facility planning and traffic engineering (yes Virginia, it is a real degree just like... theatre) and get them to fix your stupid campus.

Sincerely,

Me.

Honest to God...funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. I'll have to remember the "Yes Virginia" theatre part every time my choral cohort p##### me off with his condescending political attitude. Sorry, though, that you missed the show.

• Like 1

Yeah. I'm a little bitter.

Bitterness is so underrated; few will ever admit it but most are at some point. I find it so refreshing when people actually state that they are bitter and you deserve to be bitter.

I’m usually a last-in first-out drum corps fan so I would have been jacked at that show

Had Madison been there... i'm not sure this would have been this nice. Because I slept on this before posting. And thought to myself, hey self... you sound like a real D*CK!

I'm going to send YEA a nicer, more professional version... HEY YEA! HAVE YOU READ THIS YET? jerks.

Hey Rutgers... you stink. And congrats on getting into a division that can crank out decent graduates (myself being a product of them) BUT YET WE CAN'T COUNT HOW MANY MEMBERS WE HAVE!!!

You sir... stink.

I don't know anything, but it seems like the blame lies more with Rutgers (/NCAA?) and DCI, not YEA.

I don't know anything, but it seems like the blame lies more with Rutgers (/NCAA?) and DCI, not YEA.

Yeah, agree. Somebody posted on FB that the Rutgers staff that runs the football stadium and the staff that runs the soccer stadium did not coordinate the dual events with the parking department.

what-we-have-here-is-a-failure-to-commun

I was teaching with a marching band that had a show there a few years ago. It is a bit a cluster eff from a parking/moving-from-point-A-to-point-B standpoint. I could see it being a headache if it was just the TOC show.

Add in whatever other event was taking place at the same time....

:::Price Is Right Sad Horns:::