Thoughts on Allentown

Had the great pleasure of joining 2 of my great drum corps friends in Allentown yet again. I may hate the actual stadium because it is SOOOO far from the field that the corps all seem to struggle to connect & communicate compared to other venues (I love my usual Denver & 3 Texas shows becuase they all are close to the field & have great accoustics). But I love the atmosphere & history that just oozes from Allentown.

I put out a long review after San Antonio, so I will try to be briefer here. In general, all the corps reached the stands, with a larger & more receptive crowd on Saturday. At least it seemed that way to me. I'm sure the weather had something to do with that Friday, as well as by the 2nd day I'm not as bothered by how distant the corps are from the stands. I'll go in general order of combined scoring placement from both nights.

Pioneer - Still way too much percussion vs brass. The overbalance really takes away from the show. I appreciate the kids' effort and am glad the corps is hanging around year after year, though.

Cascades - far better than just 3 points better than Pioneer, though I think DCI gives the lower corps participation points in terms of scores that are too high. It's very encouraging to see the growth in Cascades from last year. Very well designed show. The 2-piece blended arrangements in each part of the show are very well done. And while basic, the guard is so much better than last year. Nice job & something good to build on. Exciting to know there are 4 corps in the Pacific NW now...

Jersey Surf - This show just goes nowhere for me. The pre-show intro is now better without the insipid dialogue. The hornline is loud, but not always with good tone & blend. The closing moments have improved and do have a little more impact now.

Mandarins - Ive said before I'm not a fan of this show theme, which still seems very forced. The narration is painfully cliche & obvious, and in my opinion detracts vs adds to the show. Still, this might be Mandarins largest & most talented corps ever. Huge hornline with some dark tone & power. Saves the show & makes it watchable for me.

Pacific Crest - A nice show from PC with an easy to grasp theme. The Can Can closer is by far the strongest section. While I get the strings on the guard & hornline, I think that it makes them look more dirty. Of all 22 corps that I saw i Denver and/or in Texas, I think PC has cleaned up & strengthened the least. I'm not sure why. I don't really think the hornline has grown since Ogden in terms of execution and blend.

Oregon Crusaders - This is one of the best uses of Narration scattered in a show as an accompanient (even if it's recorded) that I've heard (ditto for Blue Knights). I really enjoy the dark and emotional nature of this show. The horn line & drum line are impressive in pulling the show off. Demand-wise, there is more demand in this show than PC or Academy, but OC is also not as clean visually. I do think the tails on the jackets leaves too much black clutter. They are improving nicely from early July, though, and I look forward to seeing this show 2 more times in Indy!

Academy - Academy, on the other hand, has come a looonnnggg ways from the beginning of July. Impressive growth on all fronts. Guard is much better. The hornline, though still not one of the strongest non-finalists, has improved as well. A very well designed show. One complaint - please, Academy, work on executing the red tarps better. Very distracting when they aren't aligned right, and even distracting when not flat and creating near-tripping hazards for the corps. Such a great bounce back year from last year's wretched Piano Man show (the design, not the kids, relax). A long shot, but I could see this catching Spirit.

Spirit - Hmmm. I had hoped that a 2nd read on Spirit would let me appreciate the show more. Not so much. I found their hornline sound to be very raw and not pleasant. Poor blend, lots of individual issues and loud without out depth. Not a fan of the arrangements, which I think is a big part of the problem. Glad they dumped the "Y" poles on the opening flags - the work reads much better now. Such a huge step back in design vs the last 3 years. I do love the new uniform, though.

Colts - I could actually hear the narrator's story better in Allentown than in the indoor setting in San Antonio from the upper deck. WIll be interesting to see how decipherable it is from the bottom of the top deck in Indy. It did help me with the show a bit. I really hated this show in San Antonio. I found more things to like this time around in part because I wasn't working so hard to understand what the Scarecrow is trying to say. That said, I'm still not a fan of a show that is this narration centered (it's almost like the corps is an accompaniment, when it should be the opposite). Colts have a wonderful visual show, and I did like the newer dialogue in the ending - the Scarecrow lost his way, and he's off to find Dorothy to find his heart & his way again. Nowhere near one of my favorite shows this summer, but after seeing it a second time, it's a show I can see again twice in Indy, and hopefully find more to like.

Troopers - Such a huge step up from Spirit. That scoring gap should be larger than 3 points. There are are moments where this show is brilliant, exciting & moving, but there are also down times that are too long where the quality of design dips. The show could use some more velocity and variety. Still, the "Lincoln" effects in the middle are a blast & the closer is just fantastic. Great, great hornline. They are muching MUCH better than early July. It will be tough for Troop to catch Crossmen, but not completely impossible.

Crossmen - There is no point in this show where Crossmen emote or communicate as much as Troopers, but the design is still very enjoyable, and it's crisp, fluid & has good tempo. Crossmen are clean, are moving well, and have a tight ensemble sound. Love the drum line & the guard is a huge advantage over Troopers (though Troop's guard is very respectable). It's emotional connection that is the one weakness that leaves Crossmen slightly vulnerable. I do really enjoy this show, though & it's a good vehicle. Love the fact they are finding their "groove" again.

Blue Stars - Boy, to me & my crew in the upper stands in Allentown, Blue Stars had a really ROUGH run from the brass line. The first few minutes especially, just a ton of intonation, timing and inidividuals sticking out issues. Very surprised. Not sure what happened to them Friday. The comparison to the lusher, darker, far stronger hornlines from Blue Knights & Phantom was staggering, though. This corps is being saved by a great guard & a unique program. I think Madison is stronger overall based only on the performances from this weekend, but I think Blue Stars can do better than what they did on Friday.

Madison Scouts - I've grown to like this show. The music book is still too choppy with too many pieces not developed, but it is selling better. The strong latin jazz chord section right before Niner-Two is a real highlight. Niner Two is the most disappointing part of the show for me - such a great piece that is far too short and poorly arranged. Good to see the guard doing well with Scouts. I just keep hoping for more from a Jim Mason led corps. Madison isn't progressing year over year.

Boston Crusaders - This is another show that I didn't get a good read on in my first viewing in San Antonio. I was hoping to enjoy it a lot more Friday, but sadly, that is not the case. I appreciate they are taking a different & dark approach, but there is just not anything I connect with in this show. The music never seems to go anywhere. There is a moment where they are trying to create a big effect with the entire corps collapsing into the bottom left corner of the field, and perhaps 100 people applauded at all. The hornline is so much weaker than Scouts, Blue Knights or Phantom, and that really showed in their Music Analysis scores. The volume & power & communication to the stands just isn't there. The corps, like Blue Stars, is being saved by a stellar color guard.

Blue Knights - I've not hid the fact I love this show this year. They did suffer a bit from the physical distance barrier, as this is an almost intimate, emotional show. I've also noticed the 3 times I've sat in the lower section of stadiums to watch this show, the emotional impact is stronger than up high. Still, this show is so moving to me, and the closer just grabs my heart. I love, love, love the visual design (brilliant new uniform too), and the brass line is so dark, lush and beautiful. Bravo, BK. While Phantom is my favorite corps, I won't mind at all if you get back in front of them in Indy. It's a toss up & I'm certain both corps will score in the 90s.

Phantom Regiment - This show has come soooo far since June & early July. It might not be exhilirating like they can be when at their best, but the deep, dark, lush sound is there now, with rich power from the hornline. The brass line is clearly the strength of the corps, and I thought their edging SCV in brass was very deserved (though my high seats are in no way a substitute for what the judge hears on the field, of course). The ballad has really started to communicate and drew a nice big crowd response. The ending is more exciting and better, though still not vintage Regiment. I think this show can still grow some more, though likely not in placement. They certainly know how to surge in the last week, and I would expect their score will continue to rise.

Cavaliers - Bravo, Green Machine, and welcome back. This is a great step-up show for Cavies. Their visual prowess is returning and the hornline is one of the stronger lines I've heard from Cavaliers (unlike many, I never loved their early 90s metzo-forte horn lines, with the exception of 2000 and 2004). If they can keep cleaning, they can be nipping at Crown's heels in Indy.

Carolina Crown - Oh, where have you gone, my beloved Crown. It's almost like BD & Crown traded personalities this year. I miss the romantic, lush, melodic Crown of most of the last 10 years. They are technically super strong (expecially the brass line), but the heart is just missing. In fairness, the closing 4 mintues of the show (ballad-forward) are really good as they finally get to ensemble moments and some sustained melody. But I'm so annoyed by the first 6 minutes of pointless-ness that it's lost on me to a degree. And please retire this uniform style after this year. It's not effective, and I really think the color scheme is hurting their effectiveness visually.

SCV - Techinically proficient and tight drum corps with some nice power. I don't love the show though. I've read many who love the color scheme. I'm not one of them. There are great moments, though, and the awesomeness that is the piece of music still comes through. It's just not the same to me as their 2004 show, which to me soared with emotion & power. I also feel like their drill, while quite good, is too compact.

Bluecoats - I love this show. Best use of electronics & props, ever. Incredible hornline & drumline & competent guard. However, I don't think they have the drill NOR the visual execution (feet, forms, spacing) to win. It would take one hell of a cleaning week to put a scare in BD. They seemed to have the electronics up too loud Saturday - first time I've noticed that. To the point it became a bit distracting and seemed like too much of a focal point vs a complement.

Cadets - The show is growing in communication with the audience & emotion, which is good to see. I just love watching this corps march what is a fabulous drill. Best on the field to me on that front this year. What's missing, though, is the stirring heart that should be in this kind of show. Too much narration & recorded clips for me for the show to ever build like it should. It is great to see the guard take a huge leap forward this year. They work the heck out of their ensemble flag moments! The banners did nothing for me at the end of the show. No way do I see this catching BD. Will be interesting to see if Bluecoats can clean enough to catch them for 2nd (I think it will be a stretch).

Blue Devils - BD is so good it's not fair. None of my crew at this show is a BD honk in any way, but we were all blown away. Melodic, accessible, polished to perfection, uber talented. The adjectives could go on & on. It's like a Pro team competing with amature units this year. So great to see a show from BD you don't have to work hard to enjoy. Great ensemble moments, great music, great drill, great drum line & great guard. They have it all. It would take a miraculous surge from someone that I just don't see at this point for them to not win by more than a point. And I don't care. They deserve it.

All & all, a very good year for drum corps & Indy should be fantastic.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 7

Awesome review, as always!!! So jealous you got to attend Allentown. You're right. As a venue for DCI shows, it's an old stadium, bathrooms are horrible, it sits far back from the field, concessions are limited, the lighting is not nearly as strong as it should be, parking is difficult, and it's tough for the corps to project their sound and them/emotion into the audience. Yet the place just oozes great history and memories, and in many ways it's one of the best regionals to attend.

Agree on all fronts about BD. NO WAY they lose at Finals. I watched the first minute of their show on FN on Friday and said to myself, "Done." The show is wonderful, and quite entertaining, and the performance levels are awesome!

Spot on as always, Jonathan. And thanks for the props. Means a lot coming from one of the voices I respect the most here on DCP. One of these years we have to introduce ourselves in person.

• Like 1

great stuff, mirrors many of my thoughts hopefully going up tomorrow

I don't need to say anything - you said it all for me!

Thanks for writing a review that is analytical without being degrading , while giving your honest well thought out opinions.

Each year I buy a T shirt to support my favorite corps of the year , and in spite of the naysayers , I purchased a Regiment Hornline shirt. While it hurt where they performed position wise , it helped to have the hornline take a quantum leap forward from the previous players.

Did anyone else notice the drone flying over SCV in the backfield?

One last thing - these kids must love Allentown - it is the most demonstrative audience of any sort I have ever seen!

frankiE

Great review. Did you not get to see Colts and Oregon Crusaders?

Oh my. I forgot! I'm updating now. Thanks!

• Like 1

Harvey, another wonderful review! Just want to add, the young man playing the part of Scarecrow for Colts is VERY, VERY, GOOD. I can't imagine someone (unknown) from New York's Broadway coming in and doing it better. His looks, talent and moves are probably best captured by FanNetwork. Thats true about many things being presented out there these days, I'll think you will agree.