30 Years Ago Tonight--Garfield Cadets Tumble At Whitewater

I have a theory that I have kept bottled up for 30 years and probably never would have remembered had this thread not jogged my memory.

1984: I was a baritone player in Spirit of Atlanta. Near the end of our Whitewater finals performance I felt something hang on my foot near the end of our show - when I was in the area of the 35-40 yard line on the (audience’s) right side of the field. Glanced down and saw a piece of rope with a S hook* on it which I was able to kick off my foot and keep going. Leaving the field I momentarily thought “should I tell a judge?” but then it was hurry up and get off the field, etc... Later that night the Garfield incident happens and I thought, yeah I should have told someone.

*Anyone remember the Florida Wave 1984 show? They had a visual section where they lowered horns and let them hang on a rope with a hook…

• Like 1

I have a theory that I have kept bottled up for 30 years and probably never would have remembered had this thread not jogged my memory.

1984: I was a baritone player in Spirit of Atlanta. Near the end of our Whitewater finals performance I felt something hang on my foot near the end of our show - when I was in the area of the 35-40 yard line on the (audience’s) right side of the field. Glanced down and saw a piece of rope with a S hook* on it which I was able to kick off my foot and keep going. Leaving the field I momentarily thought “should I tell a judge?” but then it was hurry up and get off the field, etc... Later that night the Garfield incident happens and I thought, yeah I should have told someone.

*Anyone remember the Florida Wave 1984 show? They had a visual section where they lowered horns and let them hang on a rope with a hook…

Very interesting, Steve!

The "S-hook theory"!

• 8 years later...

1996 Blue Knights baritone here: Near the end of the season this happened to me.

Had a horrible drill pass-through and I was at the end where we had to pass through the contras at an opposite angle while jazz running and I was at the end. During a show, I was chugging along and went through the motions don't exactly remember but My horn hit the back of a contra and I stumbled around and went through the motions until the end. Luckily, it was like the third to last set of the show. I got a fat lip and was shaken up from it.

The next day we looked at the passthrough and since I was at the end and everyone else could make it safely through, the compromise from the wonderful staff was for me to pull the horn away and move it off to the side and just march the spot.

I hated that part of the show and can see my solo horn move in the finals video.

Way to go BK!! Keep innovating!!