8/10/1974 Carlisle, PA - Westshore is back.. kind of..

I remember Larry. He could move for as big a guy as he was! Also remember Donna Whitmoyer and Sue Stiles from Golden Sabres.

There was another thing I was told about the Bonnie Scots issue.

They'd looked very, very seriously at going the direction of the Kilties, they had an appropriate tartan that matched Westshore's colors chosen, the issue was the enormous cost of equipping the corps in those uniforms with the real kilts and all the trappings. I think Bill Light, Dan Bowman, or Chuck told me that.

Much cheaper, obviously, to scarf BD's "blue slime" unis from them. :satisfied:

• Like 1

And much easier on the body to buy BDs blouses..... The old uni was a cadet jacket that was zippered up the front, had a stiff collar with throat clip and cumberbund sewn into the jacket to totally close off any air flow. IOW - tight at waist and tight at throat. As a result they just got hotter and more humid during those Sumemr parades. Lancers have much the same top but bottom of jacket is looser against the waist thanks to bib trousers and better material.

As for the kilts..... who don't I want to picture wearing a kilt.....

as of the fall of 97 when the corps was going through it's last reorgnaization, on the paper work is was still WSM-BS, DBA as...and several names were listed as the corps had been called several names, including Westshormen INC. I think it was left that way as changing the paperwork may have been expensive and caused legal hassles

oh no 40's then. totally different system

Those DCA scores in 1974 were all over the place, all season long. Really wacky.

Frans post jogged a memory that I'd better add in case I forget later....

Amhearst we had a 37.... Prelims a 41.... Hershman said as low as Prelims scores were it was like getting a 51 so 14 points upswing in two weeks.

And that 37 (according to legend) could have been even lower.... but that's later this week.

Edit: Was 37th Regiment parade corps around in 79? Think it was 77 and 78 only but was away at college and missed it. Guess where the 37 part came from >:-)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think 37th Regiment was around in 1979. I forget what year it stopped. I do remember having the time and desire to do it and Larry told us it wasn't going to be done.

Great idea to have a lunatic parade corps in place to get money in the fall while the rest of the corps took a break!

http://www.dcacorps.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/1974.pdf

Fran is very,very correct. The top corps were starting 1 June at an 82, some corps hitting 90 at some shows, then at Prelims and Finals the top numbers were at an... 83.

So much for consistency or showing any kind of growth as the season progressed. My guess would be if I looked at recaps is that the higher numbers were from newer or less experienced individuals and those people didn't judge prelims or finals, or were protested.

I remember Larry. He could move for as big a guy as he was! Also remember Donna Whitmoyer and Sue Stiles from Golden Sabres.

There was another thing I was told about the Bonnie Scots issue.

They'd looked very, very seriously at going the direction of the Kilties, they had an appropriate tartan that matched Westshore's colors chosen, the issue was the enormous cost of equipping the corps in those uniforms with the real kilts and all the trappings. I think Bill Light, Dan Bowman, or Chuck told me that.

Much cheaper, obviously, to scarf BD's "blue slime" unis from them. :satisfied:

Donna and Sue came from Hershey with Larry for 1979 (along with me, Bowser, Rich Handy, Dick & Rich Adams, and I forget who else) The rest of that corps ended up in Reading, and we know how THAT year ended up! :doh:

I think 37th Regiment was around in 1979. I forget what year it stopped. I do remember having the time and desire to do it and Larry told us it wasn't going to be done.

Great idea to have a lunatic parade corps in place to get money in the fall while the rest of the corps took a break!

Yeah, I think we did it until 80 if I'm not mistaken...

It WAS fun! I remember we swapped instruments half way through the parade a few times...the drums played Sky's street beat..I carried Geiger's big ### drum in one of them!

as of the fall of 97 when the corps was going through it's last reorgnaization, on the paper work is was still WSM-BS, DBA as...and several names were listed as the corps had been called several names, including Westshormen INC. I think it was left that way as changing the paperwork may have been expensive and caused legal hassles

Alias'? :confused: