2015 Predictions

I would say that they're all doing quite well for themselves, even the people who no longer do DCI.

At any rate, I believe that the team that is currently at the Cavaliers has got the corps going in the right direction again and I look forward to seeing their progress and predict that they will do better than last year.

They seem to generate energy and are certainly getting better. Where they place depends also on the groups they are competing against. Looking forward to seeing them!

This seems germane to any corps about whom you are making predictions.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=e18e21b1-9b7f-4fc0-a346-1a5f8950d02f

Honestly, it really shouldn't matter too much. For the majority of the world class corps on there they are advertising color guard auditions. Most corps only have one or two camps with the color guard for initial auditions in November, and then put them on hold due to WGI. The camps in April after WGI are always where the final guard auditions are for most corps. Now, if a corps were advertising 10+ brass spots available and multiple in the battery, then I might be concerned. But that's not the case. As it is, most corps will need to fill at least one spot some time between now and Atlanta. I remember some years where every single corps has had a hole on the field at the San Antonio show. Life happens. People have to take summer classes, people can't come up with the money to pay dues, other unforeseen life events, injuries, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned with these advertisements for auditions right now.

Honestly, it really shouldn't matter too much. For the majority of the world class corps on there they are advertising color guard auditions. Most corps only have one or two camps with the color guard for initial auditions in November, and then put them on hold due to WGI. The camps in April after WGI are always where the final guard auditions are for most corps. Now, if a corps were advertising 10+ brass spots available and multiple in the battery, then I might be concerned. But that's not the case. As it is, most corps will need to fill at least one spot some time between now and Atlanta. I remember some years where every single corps has had a hole on the field at the San Antonio show. Life happens. People have to take summer classes, people can't come up with the money to pay dues, other unforeseen life events, injuries, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned with these advertisements for auditions right now.

I don't disagree with much of what you stated. But you gloss the reality of how holes crop up after the April camp each season in most corps because certain hopefuls are not able to submit the full tour fee by the deadline; you omitted how alternates have to be at the ready in Spring Training of those "life happens" events especially injuries as the show is enfleshed on the field; and how during Spring Training the show takes on a new personality as the faculty and designers confront the weaknesses, re-writes, and re-dos which confront every corps. Corps advertising to fill holes have few if any alternates, a point much contended with problems which arose with Carolina Crown's and others non-policies a few years back. DCI had to address the fairness of it even.

Much as color guarders like to think the April camp is always about them, there is much more at work. Corps from my 50 years of doing this activity understate their need so as not to appear vulnerable. Check the FB and twitter pages in the month ahead. You'll find very few units aren't looking for bodies. Having been involved with 3 Gold medalist organizations over these years of DCI, I stand by what I stated.

They seem to generate energy and are certainly getting better. Where they place depends also on the groups they are competing against. Looking forward to seeing them!

My prediction of the Cavaliers doing better isn't necessarily predicated on who they score higher than. Eventually that would be the logical result, but for now, they just need to improve over last year's version of themselves and let the rest fall into place. Be it a better design, or better performance, or both.

Just for fun...I'll give it a stab.

1. Carolina Crown
  2. Blue Devils
  3. Santa Clara Vanguard
  4. Cadets
  5. Cavaliers
  6. Bluecoats
  7. Phantom Regiment
  8. Boston Crusaders
  9. Madison Scouts
  10. Blue Knights
  11. Blue Stars
  12. Colts
  13. Crossmen
  14. Troopers
  15. Spirit of Atlanta
  16. Oregon Crusaders
  17. The Academy
  18. Blue Devils B
  19. Pacific Crest
  20. Vanguard Cadets
  21. Mandarins
  22. Cascades
  23. Jubal
  24. Jersey Surf
  25. Music City
  26. Genesis
  27. Spartans
  28. Yokohama Scouts
  29. 7th Regiment
  30. Gold
  31. Pioneer
  32. Legends
  33. Raiders
  34. Coastal Surge
  35. Colt Cadets
  36. Racine Scouts
  37. Les Stentors
  38. Blue Saints
  • Like 1

I'm not going to make a list of where I think everyone is going to finish. I just have one observation to make. I've been surprised by the number of people that have the Crossmen falling out of the top 12 this year - I guess based on their history over the past 10 years. There may be some "homeritis" in my thinking, but I felt that they finished turning a corner last year that they started to turn in 2012 and are on the up slope. I think that it is more likely they move up a spot or three rather than fall back out of finals.

Edited by cf144
  • Like 2

I'm not going to make a list of where I think everyone is going to finish. I just have one observation to make. I've been surprised by the number of people that have the Crossmen falling out of the top 12 this year - I guess based on their history over the past 10 years. There may be some "homeritis" in my thinking, but I felt that they finished turning a corner last year that they started to turn in 2012 and are on the up slope. I think that it is more likely they move up a spot or three rather than fall back out of finals.

They have been inconsistent and then there's the others in that grouping that are hungry but I hope they stay in the top 12.

Just for fun...I'll give it a stab.

• Carolina Crown
  • Blue Devils
  • Santa Clara Vanguard
  • Cadets
  • Cavaliers
  • Bluecoats
  • Phantom Regiment
  • Boston Crusaders
  • Madison Scouts
  • Blue Knights
  • Blue Stars
  • Colts

• Crossmen
  • Troopers
  • Spirit of Atlanta
  • Oregon Crusaders
  • The Academy
  • Blue Devils B
  • Pacific Crest
  • Vanguard Cadets
  • Mandarins
  • Cascades
  • Jubal
  • Jersey Surf
  • Music City

• Genesis
  • Spartans
  • Yokohama Scouts
  • 7th Regiment
  • Gold
  • Pioneer
  • Legends
  • Raiders
  • Coastal Surge
  • Colt Cadets
  • Racine Scouts
  • Les Stentors
  • Blue Saints
1&2 maybe. Not sure Cadets fall out of the top 3 THIS season. Also see Madison and Bluecoats higher.

They were so young last year, in the brass especially, that if they can keep the kids coming back, they should definitely be staying the Top 12, and possibly moving up the ranks.

• Like 1