Opinions on Uniforms for 2014--helped or hindered?

Blue Devils - Those uniforms will only work with one show: Felliniesque. I honestly hope they change them. Maybe back to 2012? Those were niiiice.

Bluecoats - Didn't dig the white sash-thing too much. But can't really say much, except I preferred last years over this years.

The Cavaliers - I thought the Illuminati triangle was too bulky to be on such a traditionally simple uniform. Glad their back to the simple yet sleek Cavalier style.

Carolina Crown - Hated the dance pants last year, hating the dance pants this year.

Boston - They're nice but not my absolute favorite. LOVED the guard look.

Phantom - I'm sorry, but those uniforms are straight up high school :/

I love BD's uniform with the half cape. Gives them a really cool look. Just look at the closer of BD 2012 as they march to one of the endzones doing those echo dissonant chords. They looked so bada**.

I think you mean 2012 BD was Dada**

• Like 2

I REALLY liked SCV's tops, but I've always been partial to the couple times they've worn white tops (or was it just once? 1995?).

Also 1991 - Miss Saigon

What particularly stood out this year was crown. I liked the color choice and the purple guard uniforms, but the stripe in the pants was hardly visible this year. I also though their hats were a major step down. I'm not sure why they eliminated the feather (I think bright blue feather would have really looked good) and I think the flexible material in the hats made them look sloppy. The gaps in the hats where the feather had been in 2013 was different in every hat because the material bent and folded together or apart. I think if you had the hat style from 2013 with the 2014 colors it would have looked great.

One uniform trend this year seemed to be the gradient colors, where one color gradually blends into the next. I don't know why it would be a trend, unless the same designer and/or company produced them. I don't think it's very effective, especially from up high.

• Like 1

Boston's uniform designer apparently never thought about having a horn player hold up a horn when they were modeling the uniform prior to approval. Once the arms are up and a horn is in the face, all the red at the top of the jacket is totally covered, making the hornline a solid black unit. Nice concept, but a failure in execution.

In addition, while I quite like the new jacket, it seemed way too short on some marchers, and rode up too high on most when horns and arms were up. I'd prefer it all the way down to the waist, with regular black bibs underneath - lose the sparkly undershirt and the sash. And it would look nicer from the back if it were a real-button up in front, not a zip-up in back.

Still, over all really liked Boston. Waldo on the shako especially.

Didn't see anyone mention Surf's return to classical uniform for their more traditional show this year. I think they looked sharp.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

Oooh, I'm always up for uniform talk.

Top down to bottom -

Blue Devils - big changes this year. I'm assuming this is the end of the jackets that debuted in 2011, as there's not much more to cut off or otherwise sew on to them? Overall, it was a brilliant move, though - lightening up the whole ensemble with the sleeve and shirt really made them look more formal / nightlife-like, and the red underside of the cape delivered some badly-needed contrast. Big thumbs up from me.

Bluecoats - white Escher-style baldric and sash also gave some "pop" to the uniforms from afar, which again...badly needed as there is so much darkness on it. Also good move going with white plumes - it gave the corps definition from above. Also a big thumbs up.

The Cadets - cummerbund changes... ok. I kind of wish they would just ditch the uni altogether and come up with some sort of modern hybrid. With all of the theatrics going on, West Point jackets look increasingly out of place. Thumbs slightly down.

Santa Clara Vanguard - White variation on their uniform from last year. I got the weird extended epaulets from last year - they had to sit on the shoulder caps. I have no idea why they did it again this year with a custom-built jacket . The "drape" style baldric didn't fit uniformly member-to-member, but that's a minor quibble. Honestly, white jacket and black pants will always look classy, no matter what you stick around it. Thumbs up.

Carolina Crown - viewers pegged the problem with the updated colors early in the season. Last year, the dark purple better sat with the black jackets. This year, the light blue heavily contrasted. As with most things Crown, though, if you don't like it, wait a season - it will change. Thumbs down to this year, probably thumbs up next year.

The Cavaliers - love the minor changes they made to the 2010-2013 jackets here. Back to the 2002 baldric, green on the back... back to looking like the streamlined Cavaliers we all know and love. Huge thumbs up for such minor tweaks.

Phantom Regiment - oh boy oh boy. Did not like the two-tone jacket, though honestly there's not much left they can do that's new at this point. (Well, except red jackets... come on!) Did not like the satin-ey baldrics. Did not like the tassels on the oversized wing. Especially did not like the black alternate look. Back to the drawing board, Phantom. (And I assume they will, as - like Blue Devils - it looks like they've been cutting up the jackets.) ... that said, both of my kids thought they looked brilliant. So two thumbs down, but four smaller thumbs up.

Blue Knights - I love the new look, especially because it does not look like anyone else on the field. Bright and airy. Graceful and floating. I am not a huge fan of the modern day tendency to use gray as a neutral color, but boy does it work with the blue and white. My only complaint is the gray drop-sashes - they don't add anything to the look and tend to distract from the line of the performer. Thumbs up.

Blue Stars - Not huge changes from last year (I think? I'm doing most of this from memory - bear with me), as it was just the red plumes? Well, except for the overalls. Yeah. I kind of wish they could remove the silver stripes from the jacket - it's too busy on the front. Otherwise, they look like they have for a while now. Thumbs still up.

Boston Crusaders - up close, these look awesome. I've grown to love the Waldo across the jacket, and the crossed belts are a neat way of keeping it traditional and still emphasizing the "slim and tall" look. (part of the reason of moving the buckle upwards) That said, from a distance, it really looks like black on black, especially with horns up. And the drop sash here also doesn't work. With Cadets and BD, they've at least added contrast against the pants, but here, it just muddies the look. Thumbs sideways.

Madison Scouts - I thought they looked great in the all white. Like Phantom does, it made them look big and glowing. Especially in the drill when they covered more of the field - it looked like there were more people out there than there were. However, the short sleeves need to go. Thumbs till up though.

Crossmen - I like the concept of the uniforms, especially with the swappable plate on the front, but the tactical mistake here, to me, is having the panel extend halfway across the right chest, and having it drop in a vertical line. It makes the members look wide. BD had a similar problem with their 2004-5 uniforms, which reached all the way around to the left hip almost - it gives the illusion of horizontal extension. I'd have had the Crossmen panel cut more triangularly, wider at the top than the bottom so that it hits the bottom of the jacket back on the left. (Which also would have been a throwback to the baldrics from the 90's and 2000's) Overall, though, a sharp look, and I do like it. Thumbs up.

Colts - I can't decide on these. I hate the collar (45 degree twisted polo collar - eek), but I do like the gradient. Can't even give them a thumb yet - I'm not sure.

Troopers - Second year of these uniforms, and one of the few corps, it seems, not to have changed anything this year. I get that they're more Trooper-esque than actual Trooper, but I do miss the old unis - the single buttons and dark/light blue did good to streamline the members, I think. But as far as modern looks go, these are solid. Thumbs up with a slow nod.

The Academy - I love the heck out of the "dress up" concept. But in practice, I'm not sure if this is the best look for them. I do enjoy the changes to the ties and lately the scarves on the hats, but there's a whole lot of "long and flowing" here that, again, muddies up the form. They do manage, however, to look completely unlike anyone else out there. Thumbs sideways.

Spirit of Atlanta - I love these new uniforms. They're a great combination of old and new. Cant' get enough of them - seriously. Drum corps is about big, bright and bold colors - going where marching bands fear to tread. Thumbs up over my head.

Oregon Crusaders - Tweaked from last year to include tails and feathers. I'm... surprisingly ok with these. Can't tell you why - it just works. And tradition is still good in uniforms - I've always liked the compass and the shade of green. Thumbs up.

Pacific Crest - Also one of the few corps not to change this year. I know a lot of people don't like these jackets, but for me, the teal and copper has been a solid look for them. Love the white accents on the shoulders, too - more "afternoon" corps should be using lighter colors. They just make performers look bigger. Black on black on black just makes marchers look small in natural light, but more elegant in artificial / stadium light. Thumbs up.

Mandarins - Changed the red on the hip to gold this year. As they're Chinese influenced, what can you say? It works. The jackets have been designed all along to be slimming, it seems, and they work well. I liked their last uniforms as well - they just seem to have a good idea of what they want to project and maximizing the effect. Thumbs zuidou.

Jersey Surf - back to the old dark "military" looking jackets and pants. These are ok, if you like dark on dark on dark. This corps for me, recently, doesn't really fit this image though. Might just be wishful thinking back to the last couple of years. Thumbs sideways - ok, but kind of blah.

Cascades - Also seems to be unchanged from last year. Another one where I get the concept, but I'm not sold on the execution. The twisted baldric on the front makes everyone, again, look wide. I do like the sequined panel under it, though. I like the bright green, but I don't care for the dark on the jackets. This just feels like a design that's halfway where they will end up settling - we're just not there yet. Thumbs down.

Pioneer - I love the hats, but nothing about this corps screams "Cadet." White jackets = good, though. Again, lighter in daylight is better. Just... not military. I miss the old white and plaid with the aussies - that really created a distinctive and Irish look for them. Thumbs down.

Mike

• Like 3

MikeN

Thanks for the great post. I loved your insights for sure. I am never sure if the uniform is taken into consideration for scores, but it seems to me some do add to the overall effect of the show. Your insights are spot on. Loved reading this

Oooh, I'm always up for uniform talk.

Top down to bottom -

Blue Devils - big changes this year. I'm assuming this is the end of the jackets that debuted in 2011, as there's not much more to cut off or otherwise sew on to them? Overall, it was a brilliant move, though - lightening up the whole ensemble with the sleeve and shirt really made them look more formal / nightlife-like, and the red underside of the cape delivered some badly-needed contrast. Big thumbs up from me.

Bluecoats - white Escher-style baldric and sash also gave some "pop" to the uniforms from afar, which again...badly needed as there is so much darkness on it. Also good move going with white plumes - it gave the corps definition from above. Also a big thumbs up.

The Cadets - cummerbund changes... ok. I kind of wish they would just ditch the uni altogether and come up with some sort of modern hybrid. With all of the theatrics going on, West Point jackets look increasingly out of place. Thumbs slightly down.

Santa Clara Vanguard - White variation on their uniform from last year. I got the weird extended epaulets from last year - they had to sit on the shoulder caps. I have no idea why they did it again this year with a custom-built jacket . The "drape" style baldric didn't fit uniformly member-to-member, but that's a minor quibble. Honestly, white jacket and black pants will always look classy, no matter what you stick around it. Thumbs up.

Carolina Crown - viewers pegged the problem with the updated colors early in the season. Last year, the dark purple better sat with the black jackets. This year, the light blue heavily contrasted. As with most things Crown, though, if you don't like it, wait a season - it will change. Thumbs down to this year, probably thumbs up next year.

The Cavaliers - love the minor changes they made to the 2010-2013 jackets here. Back to the 2002 baldric, green on the back... back to looking like the streamlined Cavaliers we all know and love. Huge thumbs up for such minor tweaks.

Phantom Regiment - oh boy oh boy. Did not like the two-tone jacket, though honestly there's not much left they can do that's new at this point. (Well, except red jackets... come on!) Did not like the satin-ey baldrics. Did not like the tassels on the oversized wing. Especially did not like the black alternate look. Back to the drawing board, Phantom. (And I assume they will, as - like Blue Devils - it looks like they've been cutting up the jackets.) ... that said, both of my kids thought they looked brilliant. So two thumbs down, but four smaller thumbs up.

Blue Knights - I love the new look, especially because it does not look like anyone else on the field. Bright and airy. Graceful and floating. I am not a huge fan of the modern day tendency to use gray as a neutral color, but boy does it work with the blue and white. My only complaint is the gray drop-sashes - they don't add anything to the look and tend to distract from the line of the performer. Thumbs up.

Blue Stars - Not huge changes from last year (I think? I'm doing most of this from memory - bear with me), as it was just the red plumes? Well, except for the overalls. Yeah. I kind of wish they could remove the silver stripes from the jacket - it's too busy on the front. Otherwise, they look like they have for a while now. Thumbs still up.

Boston Crusaders - up close, these look awesome. I've grown to love the Waldo across the jacket, and the crossed belts are a neat way of keeping it traditional and still emphasizing the "slim and tall" look. (part of the reason of moving the buckle upwards) That said, from a distance, it really looks like black on black, especially with horns up. And the drop sash here also doesn't work. With Cadets and BD, they've at least added contrast against the pants, but here, it just muddies the look. Thumbs sideways.

Madison Scouts - I thought they looked great in the all white. Like Phantom does, it made them look big and glowing. Especially in the drill when they covered more of the field - it looked like there were more people out there than there were. However, the short sleeves need to go. Thumbs till up though.

Crossmen - I like the concept of the uniforms, especially with the swappable plate on the front, but the tactical mistake here, to me, is having the panel extend halfway across the right chest, and having it drop in a vertical line. It makes the members look wide. BD had a similar problem with their 2004-5 uniforms, which reached all the way around to the left hip almost - it gives the illusion of horizontal extension. I'd have had the Crossmen panel cut more triangularly, wider at the top than the bottom so that it hits the bottom of the jacket back on the left. (Which also would have been a throwback to the baldrics from the 90's and 2000's) Overall, though, a sharp look, and I do like it. Thumbs up.

Colts - I can't decide on these. I hate the collar (45 degree twisted polo collar - eek), but I do like the gradient. Can't even give them a thumb yet - I'm not sure.

Troopers - Second year of these uniforms, and one of the few corps, it seems, not to have changed anything this year. I get that they're more Trooper-esque than actual Trooper, but I do miss the old unis - the single buttons and dark/light blue did good to streamline the members, I think. But as far as modern looks go, these are solid. Thumbs up with a slow nod.

The Academy - I love the heck out of the "dress up" concept. But in practice, I'm not sure if this is the best look for them. I do enjoy the changes to the ties and lately the scarves on the hats, but there's a whole lot of "long and flowing" here that, again, muddies up the form. They do manage, however, to look completely unlike anyone else out there. Thumbs sideways.

Spirit of Atlanta - I love these new uniforms. They're a great combination of old and new. Cant' get enough of them - seriously. Drum corps is about big, bright and bold colors - going where marching bands fear to tread. Thumbs up over my head.

Oregon Crusaders - Tweaked from last year to include tails and feathers. I'm... surprisingly ok with these. Can't tell you why - it just works. And tradition is still good in uniforms - I've always liked the compass and the shade of green. Thumbs up.

Pacific Crest - Also one of the few corps not to change this year. I know a lot of people don't like these jackets, but for me, the teal and copper has been a solid look for them. Love the white accents on the shoulders, too - more "afternoon" corps should be using lighter colors. They just make performers look bigger. Black on black on black just makes marchers look small in natural light, but more elegant in artificial / stadium light. Thumbs up.

Mandarins - Changed the red on the hip to gold this year. As they're Chinese influenced, what can you say? It works. The jackets have been designed all along to be slimming, it seems, and they work well. I liked their last uniforms as well - they just seem to have a good idea of what they want to project and maximizing the effect. Thumbs zuidou.

Jersey Surf - back to the old dark "military" looking jackets and pants. These are ok, if you like dark on dark on dark. This corps for me, recently, doesn't really fit this image though. Might just be wishful thinking back to the last couple of years. Thumbs sideways - ok, but kind of blah.

Cascades - Also seems to be unchanged from last year. Another one where I get the concept, but I'm not sold on the execution. The twisted baldric on the front makes everyone, again, look wide. I do like the sequined panel under it, though. I like the bright green, but I don't care for the dark on the jackets. This just feels like a design that's halfway where they will end up settling - we're just not there yet. Thumbs down.

Pioneer - I love the hats, but nothing about this corps screams "Cadet." White jackets = good, though. Again, lighter in daylight is better. Just... not military. I miss the old white and plaid with the aussies - that really created a distinctive and Irish look for them. Thumbs down.

Mike

Dead on agree with you, especially what you said about BD and the Cadets.